Windows 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by cockneysean, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent Ironside

Agent Ironside Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 512mb
    Hmmm, somewhere I saw someone posted screens of it looking thinner, and it wasnt vista.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You may be able to lower the DPI and that'll shrink it - but it will shrink pretty much everything on screen.

3. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6850 DC V2
    Right click on taskbar -> properties and select use small icons.

4. midweskid

midweskid Guest

Wow just installed and im loving it. Cant wait for a final release

5. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Wrong!!! Right click on the task bar hit properties, & select use small icons.

*Edit sorry CorNeLL beat me to it.

6. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    Unlock Regional Themes In Windows 7

1. Unhide the Windows 7 System and Protected Operating System files.

2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Globalization\MCT.

3. Open a MCT-(AU, CA, GB, US, or ZA) folder for the regional theme that you want.
    NOTE: AU, CA and ZA regions all have the same themes though.

4. Open the Theme folder in the selected region folder.

5. Select the .theme file to use it.
    NOTE: Once you select a .theme file, Windows 7 will save it so that you will be able to change or select this theme again from within the normal Personalization window location.

6. Hide the Windows 7 System and Protected Operating System files.

7. Enjoy your new regional themes!!

7. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    setting your own desktop slideshow dont seem to work ? anyone can help here ? Also is it possible to extend the taskbar as im running dual monitors

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  8. Crisis66

Crisis66 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970
    Is anyone else having problems with Xfire instant messaging with build 7000? I get no sounds from it and it doesn't detect any games at all.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Wrong!!!!

10. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Ok? You want to back that up? The guy asked how to make the taskbar smaller & we told him. You said you couldn't.

11. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    If you can't now, I'm sure it will be possible later (even if it takes 3rd party software to do it)

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol - I was just pointing how you said wrong with so much emphasis. I thought it was funny.

I honestly didn't know

13. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    oh hehe ;) sry. I didn't mean to use so many exclamation marks. I get carried away sometimes with punctuation.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Pentium4 was the start of Intel's 64bit chipsets. EM64T started with either Prescott or the core right before it.

WTF??? Every processor currently on the market (from AMD and Intel anyway) are 64bit. Every one of them will run 64bit software and none have problems with x64's 32bit emulation. lol, wtf did you get that **** from?

15. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Maybe 32bit is for people who have either:

*really old computers(older Pentium 4 for example)so they don't shout out loud that w7 needs eight cores and 16gb of ram to run. those people are minority but they often shout very loud and create a bad reputation for the product. it also happened with vista.
    *32bit software they need(for work for example)that for some reason does not work good enough in 64bit os.

Microsoft wants to avoid much of the criticism this time, since w7 is important product and vista received lots of criticism. I also suspect Microsoft may lower the prices of Windows and sell W7 for less than Vista was costing at the launch. Economical slow down is also important factor.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Actually, there is plenty of software not compatible with WOW64 - Most IE applications written for IE 6.0 don't work under 64 bit Operating Systems. A chemical company I worked for a few years back estimated it would cost upwards of $15M re-writing their home-grown applications for modern browsers.

Regardless - from a marketing perspective I'm sure Microsoft knows way more who their market is. It would cost way less for them to produce just an X64 edition, so they probably came to the conclusion that selling a 32 bit edition is still bringing in profit.

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Those people with such older hardware, shouldnt be using Vista to begin with imo. If their hardware is good enough for them, then so should be the OS their using with it as well. if not then buy a new computer.

economy may likely be alot better by the time its released. If history shows anything then Vista will go down some and W7 will be pricey. If performance is their key change and the final release isnt much more than the current Beta then its a waste of money imo. i know i'm not paying over $100 to have something so similar to what i already have that boots faster and few more fps in games cause i'd rather just upgrade my hardware

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    God - such a negative nancy. :p

19. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Just as an aside, some of the Atom chips do not support 64-bit, such as the chips currently used in netbooks. I wouldn't mind running Windows 7 on my MSI Wind as I know it would handle it from what I've heard, but as mentioned it would have to be 32-bit.

Atom chips and the like are quite possibly one reason that Microsoft still produces a 32-bit Windows as these extremely low-power desktops and netbooks have become very popular recently and many are using 32-bit only processors. I too wish 64-bit would become the sole architecture but I also realize that the market demands in respect to large corporations and government agencies likely force their hand at continued 32-bit support. Though, from the sounds of it, this will be the last 32-bit OS from Microsoft.

For a bit more information on which Atoms support what instruction sets and are 64-bit compatible, check out this link.

20. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    If you read who i was replying to, it was about the ATOM.
    And some software will not run through 64bit OS's only 32bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.