Windows 7 x86 or x64?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by juanchacin, Sep 21, 2011.

1. juanchacin

juanchacin New Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 660 Ti
    Greetings folks, I will go straight to the point, I have always used 32-bit operating systems (x86) but lately I've considered making the leap to 64bit.
    My fear of change to 64bit lies in 2 factors, "loss of performance and compatibility issues."

-I would like some opinions based on your own experiences on the subject, I mainly use the PC for, games, video editing (Adobe ® Premier), image editing (Adobe ® Photoshop), reproduction of A/V and office .

Info of my PC for reference.
    CPU: Q6600@3.2
    RAM: 3Gb
    GPU: SLI GTX 260

In advance thanks to those who respond.

2. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 ti
    This is no longer relevant. Upgrade to 64bit.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    What he said, no point in having 32bit os.

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Starting to be true the other way round, though. So yeah, there's absolutely no point in 32-bit OS any more.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    I've been using 64 bit OSes since... I don't remember, 2005 or something. 32 bit programs have been performing slower than their 64 bit counterparts for years now.

Vista and on really shouldn't have had 32 bit versions. Even Win 8 will have a 32 bit version. :puke2:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Performance is great in a 64bit OS (its as good as 32bit, if not better), and theres no compatability issues at all as said above, 64bit is the way to go, and also welcome to the forum juanchacin :)

7. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    64bit all the way.... make use of your hardware!

8. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce R9 380
    X64 - Make sure to go with Professional or higher!!

9. phaT-X

phaT-X Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 570 x2
    I've been using x64 bit OS's since May 2005 (WinXP x64) and never looked back. As for 'loss of performance' .. my performance has ALWAYS been better on x64 bit, even with WinXP x64 compared to WinXP (32 bit). I had better performance pretty much all around.

As for compatibility issues, that basically existed with "XP" editions of x64 bit operating systems, because it was not very popular (mainly because it was released two ways, OEM or pre-installed only). When Vista was released in both 32 bit / x64 bit, the compatibility issues started disappearing quickly as x64 bit grew more popular and truthfully, Vista x64 bit performed better, was more stable, and had less problems all around compared to Vista 32 bit.

If you have the hardware capable of running x64 bit, then I would surely choose x64 bit over the 32 bit.

Also, if you are purchasing Windows 7 "Ultimate", you will get both the 32 bit and x64 bit edition, so you could always go back to 32 bit if you did not like it for some unseen reason.

10. vebero

vebero Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD 5750 850/1075MHz
    If you can get to at least 4 GB RAM, then 64-bit all the way. 3 GB is bare minimum for 64-bit OS if you are also doing heavy gaming and video editing.

11. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    If you have the choice, ALWAYS go x64. x86 is far too limited for modern computing needs.