Windows 7 way more expensive in EU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.I have an old XP disk that asks for Win98 during an upgrade install.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    MS has done that in the past. With WindowsME they released a "promotional upgrade" for people running Windows98. You could do a clean install, so long as you could provide a Win98 disc for verification.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    LOL, Microsoft is getting revenge for all the anti-trust fines and the fact that they had to pull IE 8 out of the OS for European users. Fail by the European Union on that one...

4. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Yup seems the £1-$1 exchange rate is coming in again- this time due to the anti trust action.... I mean it is logical but just frustrating the consumer is being screwed over in Europe again compared to US conunterparts.

5. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Let's fine them for charging us more because we fined them tbh!

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I said screw it and bought a Technet plus for just over $300 on Newegg. That way I get another Vista Ultimate for my sweetie, Win 7 for me, office 2003 for her and Office 2007 for me...and whatever goodies I decide on. Not a bad deal.

7. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Don't forget all prices will include 15% -20% tax, its still high though.....

8. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    yeah and now probaly get imported anyway wich means ie wont be excluded either i gess.

9. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II

It's not our fault that the USA sucks at controlling its companies from monopolizing the market with illegal activities... at least the EU does something about it... it went a little overboard with the IE 8 thing but it is still better then doing nothing!!

It is only going to drive piracy up and make EU companies delay the computer upgrades (which i think is their main source of windows licenses...).

I'll get it through msdnaa so i don't care...

The difference is that you and anyone else can make a few mistakes here and there that don't affect the comprehension of the post and there is is posts that have so many mistakes that it is hard to understand...

As i said before if you can't be bothered to check for mistakes use spell checking in Firefox... it's easy and it won't make you waste time... isn't Firefox great ? lol...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  10. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    Well sod this, I stick to Vista. As long as I can play games, thats all that matters.

11. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Re: Upgrade disk... You'll have to have XP+ installed and launch the upgrade DVD within windows. The installation will just wipe the hard drive clean after validating the previous windows install.

That said, there will be workarounds similar to Vista.

12. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I thought about doing that, too. Maybe when Office 2010 is released.

13. pint

pint Active Member

GPU:
    club 3d 4870
    i forsee a verry bussy time for you
    buying and then posting at the post office

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The US doesn't consider MS to have a monopoly on web browsers because it's a free market and nobody advertises their browsers. Also, for Opera to even get into court with their claim, they'd have to prove that ONLY IE prevented them from gaining market share, which is impossible given their 15 year history of never actually holding any market share. Also, they never complained about Netscape when it held 90%+ market share. Have to look at history to judge the merit of a complaint. They never could compete against Netscape prior to IE's inception....nor any other browser after IE's inception. That simple fact alone would destroy their case in any court where the oversears had half a brain. Firefox, Chrome and Safari, despite IE being packaged with Windows....still hold a reasonable market share considering their complete and udder lack of any type of advertisement.

15. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    well i havnt read any posts at this forum nor anandtech's that i knowingly could not comprehend. i may have misunderstood some in the past, but not knowingly and its not too hard to keep up with ebonics if you have 2 teenagers to keep ya up to date on those things.
    spell checking in firefox never fixed my mistakes for me, they only underline them so i still have to manually do it, i'll always refuse to cause its pointless and yes FF is great.

17. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    The fine was ridiculous to begin with.

18. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    As much as I hate Microsoft it makes me smile to see them give the EU the finger. No browser and we're gonna stick it to you at the check out counter. Way to go MS!!

The stupidity of the EU deserves this. Opera and the EU wanted to force MS to bundle everyone's browser. What a joke. Of all the things you could take MS to court over why this insignifigant garbage? Don't forget though you crazy Europeans all voted for this.

19. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II

What do you mean by that ?

Also I'm sure it won't do them very good because in this time of crisis and whatnot no1 or, more importantly, no company in their right mind will pay 200-400 euros to upgrade to a new OS... most people will just use piracy ... me, I'll just download it for free through MSDNAA so they won't pay their fines with my money... if they don't have it right away... i can wait...

Microsoft makes more money from companies and OEMs anyway...

20. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    sure, and all you americans voted for both bush and obama.
    seesh, realise that what politicians want and do doesnt mean everybody in the country(ok, region in this case) also wants the same thing.