Windows 7 VS 8.1 VS 10 For Gaming [2017] (new test)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by maur0, Dec 4, 2017.

1. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    [media]

radosuaf and KissSh0t like this.
  2. mikev190

mikev190 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP! Extreme
    Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if there was a differance.

BTW is it just me, or is the dude in the video wearing lipstick?

WhiteLightning likes this.
  3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    There are very few downsides of 7 that I'm aware of. Frostbite works better, shadowplay saved files larger than 4GB, and LAV filters used d3d11 dxva in win8.1 and above. At least it doesn't have any mobile garbage like Metro or UWP in it. It's probably the best thing about it. I have to resort to using LTSB 2016 to have a stable and decent version of 10.

4. HK-1

HK-1 Member

GPU:
    XFX RADEON RX460
    @ lucidus I agree 100%, for me only "usable" version of Windows 10 really is 2016 LTSB and I modify ISO to remove unnecessary things for remember W7 most possible and with a lot of tweaks on it :p

5. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    Where did you guys get the LTSB Win 10?

6. Chastity

Chastity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph Nitro 390 BP
    What are you guys doing to your systems that RTM standard releases aren't stable??

TheDeeGee likes this.
  7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix Gaming
    What do you use to modify/remove unwanted components?

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    MDL forums is a good source for all ISOs etc

FlawleZ and HK-1 like this.
  9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Installing them

KissSh0t, AndiWandi and lucidus like this.
  10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I already sent him a care package in a PM :p

... and I typed that but deleted the message :D

Extraordinary likes this.

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080GX @ 2k/11k
    Interesting video, but not quite enough information. I single bar with a number stopped being enough data to really get an idea of how a game is behaving years ago. I understand that he may be a small operation or single person doing this work, but we need things like .1%, 0.1% and/or frame time graphs. The reason I still have Windows 7 installed and eating up precious SSD space is because of how some games run under Windows 10. Which is to say, that they may stutter, hitch, have lower lows or just run into bottlenecks that don't manifest when playing the same game under Windows 7.

12. HK-1

HK-1 Member

GPU:
    XFX RADEON RX460
    Hi well I use MSMG Toolkit v.7.9 (latest) from MDL where I make part since 2014 right dude :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    KissSh0t likes this.
  13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro OC
    I swear he is wearing lipstick. But I could not stand the sound of its voice.
    After about 10 seconds I muted it.

Personally, I dont care about boot times, I have a password on my rig anyways.
    What I care about is programs opening up faster, and Win 10 is faster at that, especially even on a mechanical drive.

I do have a X58 rig with a i7 960 in it, stock clocks and Hyper Threading off, GTX 650ti boost 2GB sli, and 8GB DDR3 1600 for playing older games. It has a dual boot of XP and Win 7.
    I did have XP on cheap 60GB ssd at one point, 275 read, 75mb write, and it was smooth, but not shockingly fast.

14. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    I'd say W10 doesn't really like HDDs, at least compared to W7/W8.1. As usual, it turns out that whatever MS says, all of them are more or less the same when it comes to games. So it's up to personal taste, really,.. Running (or installing, for that matter) W7 with UEFI, USB 3.0 and so on is a bit too much hassle these days and it looks quite dated to me, while I really hate W10. So for me it's 8.1, although I'd say it's the slowest (ba a REALLY slow margin) of them 3.

15. HK-1

HK-1 Member

GPU:
    XFX RADEON RX460
    @ radosuaf I agree in part I don't see none difference between W8.1 & W10 in games and more I make another day benchmark using Sandra and my results are for W8.1= 8.32 kPTand for W10 2016 LTSB(C) 8.03 kPT maybe because my mobo (MSI A88XM-E45) is made for Windows 8.1 then concluding difference is very little I think

16. user1

user1 Master Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    not all that surprising, though i will say probably the biggest benefit imo to using 8.1 or win 10 over win 7 is the ability to alt-tab fullscreen dx9 games smoothly,with games that tend to have problems alt tabbing, like WaW, skyrim. other than that it tends to be a wash.

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    They're just hating Windows, but refuse to actually use Linux.

It's all pretty comical.

That said, Windows 10 works no different for me than Windows 7 apart from it running smoother in Games without Microstuttering. Issues wise there is nothing i hadn't seen in Windows 7 and is most likely tied to the hardware configuration (nothing major).

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix Gaming
    I am not hating it for no reason, I legitimately hate it.... my most recent reason for hating it is that the fall creators update makes a wireless card stop working with no other way of getting the wireless card to work other than reverting to the previous version of Windows 10 *yay*

Another reason was when installing X-Fi sound card driver it would cause Windows 10 to blue screen during the installation process, this was fixed in a subsequent version of Windows 10... 1511 had this issue, at the time the only way to install the driver was to use PAX custom creative drivers.

Another silly issue was default file associations being reset every single day, that is very annoying.

Then there was having to spend hours upon hours just to learn how to uninstall all the bloat, how to stop Windows 10 from installing unwanted programs, How to stop Windows 10 from updating itself automatically, how to stop Windows 10 updating drivers by itself, how to stop Windows 10 using my internet to send updates to other computers on the internet.... and more, it's just... ughh.. Windows 10 is just so annoying, that's the only way I can describe it "Annoying".

I currently have Windows 8.1 installed and... I don't even feel like I'm missing out on anything, even DirectX 12... I just feel like.... what is the point of putting up with being annoyed when I can use something that won't annoy me.

I hope Microsoft pull their head out of their butt and make a good windows in the future because 10 is just so annoying.

That's...... my 2 cents.

lucidus likes this.
  19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
    That will all depend on how many people it annoys, it's hard to gauge these things as obviously as humans we tend to make a lot of noise about stuff that we dislike but very little about stuff we like.

I have had less issues with W10 than any other version of Windows and I have been in the fast ring of the insiders program since pretty much the start. That is saying a lot as being older and with a family now, I would not have the free time or will power to deal with problems like I would have 10 years ago.

I pretty much leave the OS untouched though, the "bloat" takes up negligible storage space and has no impact on performance so I would only be wasting my own time and giving into abit of OCD by removing it, and I have been guilty of that in the past.
    Telemetry I object to in principle, but in reality it does not affect me so again I leave it alone.

I do disable auto driver update with the GPU drivers, but since I already use DDU it's another non event for me.

I understand the frustration that the OS is moving in a direction that might not be to your tastes, but such is life.
    You either adapt you or move onto something else that does fit your tastes, eg Linux.

Holding onto older versions of Windows or excessively tweaking newer versions is only creating problems for yourself, isn't a long term solution and is just delaying the inevitable.

20. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    Was just looking at how I can obtain an LTSB ISO myself. I'll check out MDL forums I suppose.