Windows 7 Ultimate Help

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Grinchead, May 9, 2010.

1. Grinchead

Grinchead Member

GPU:
    (2)EVGA 8800GT 512MB SLi
    After I install my drivers, the window pops up to tell me SLi capablility is available. However, when I start the Nvidia Control Panel and enable it and Apply it, it only shows the Antristropic tab, then tells me I don't have any video adapters capable of anything. If I close the CP and reopen it, it tells me I don't have any capable hardware. I'm running 8800gt's in sli, and it works fine on XP, which is on the other HDD. I had an old Beta of Windows 7 that I got SLi to work on fine, but once I got the final build, it does the above. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm at a loss.

-Mike

Edit: I've tried 197.45, 197.57, and the 197.75 Drivers

2. eagled1

eagled1 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB
    make sure you use driver sweeper in safe mode after you have uninstalled your old drivers. it should then give you your CP options after you reinstall your driver of choice.

3. Tenma

Tenma Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT SC @ 680/1700/2020
    Did you upgrade to the final version from the beta?

If so, you may want to try a fresh install. That does sound really weird. But first, be sure to use driver sweeper in safe mode and all that.

4. Grinchead

Grinchead Member

GPU:
    (2)EVGA 8800GT 512MB SLi
    It was a fresh install of 7.

I will driver sweeper in safe mode, then reinstall and reply with results. Anyone have any favorite driver to use for Windows 7?

5. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    i wouldnt recommend any of those drivers to anyone, least problematic drivers from 197 for me is 197.03quadro

6. Grinchead

Grinchead Member

GPU:
    (2)EVGA 8800GT 512MB SLi
    Ok I did all that. I have to go into the CP file to load the Nvidia CP. After enabling the SLi funtion, it freezes. After a few minutes it goes to a black screen with blinking cursor. Then when it comes back on, it shows the attached picture. Still will not work properly. I haven't a clue.:bang:

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  7. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    im not sure how it was, maybe u find better guide somewhere how to do this

uninstall everything and clean, use registry cleaners too (ccleaner or something)

take other card out and install drivers as normal
    then plug in other card and install drivers again if it dosnt work from there

sry cant recall exact method how this supposed to be done

and try use nvidia chipset drivers included on ur mobo driver cd instead of updated ones, or other way if ur using ones from cd

8. Grinchead

Grinchead Member

GPU:
    (2)EVGA 8800GT 512MB SLi
    All of my old drivers don't support Windows 7.

If it still works fine in XP why should I have to physically remove and reinstall a Graphics card to get it to work?

I've cleaned everything, used the newest drivers, some older drivers, and still no dice. Anyone with Win7 tell me what drivers they use on their SLi setup?

9. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    i had the same problem with my gtx 295 after reinstalling win7

uninstall all nvidia drivers from control panel-display+physx+3d stereo
    reboot into safe mode and run driver sweeper
    reboot into normal mode and if you have a registry cleaner run it windows will install default driver for your gpu and ask for reboot
    reboot again,extract the drivers(197.45 is the latest whql for your cards) you want to install into a new folder and then open my computer,device manager,graphics adapter
    right click graphics adapter and select update driver and choose the new folder where you had extracted the driver on your pc and driver will be installed

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  10. Grinchead

Grinchead Member

GPU:
    (2)EVGA 8800GT 512MB SLi
    I tried all of that and I was still getting caution symbols on one or both of my Graphics Cards. I read somewhere to update the bios on the cards, so took one out and updated the bios on the one card, switched and repeated. I installed both, and SLi picked up right away. However, I wasn't getting full resolution out of my monitor, and the latest driver for it is Vista. One card however, would show the right monitor name, and resolution in control panel. Very weird. So I swapped the card to the top (PCIE 1) and then installed them in SLi and rebooted. VOILA it is in the highest native resolution, the name is correct, and everything is running like silk. Weird, but I'm glad it's over.
    Thanks Everyone!

Last edited: May 13, 2010

11. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    reason u pull out other card is to let OS to detect drivers and card properly

sometimes u need to do it separately for each card