Windows 7 - My serial key is not valid? Im-f*cking-possible!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by djjonastybe, Jan 15, 2011.

1. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950(70) 885/1350
    I was studying today on my Dell Studio 1558 for school. When a windows pops up I had to enter another product key.

It seems my product key is NOT valid anymore for some reason. I know it is a OEM key. So I don't know why it can't be entered on my laptop.

It's weekend and I have to study English on Monday, the day my notebook will expire.

First Dell gives me a laptop that overheats easily, and now I have my Windows expiring...

2. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950(70) 885/1350
    I ran MGA Diagnostic Tool.

Serial key is still valid.
    Wonder why my laptop fails to recognize the key

3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    That's funny. I switched my sons laptop on an hour ago and a pop up appeared stating that windows was not genuine, followed by MS security essentials saying it will no longer work.

Rebooted the machine and all was back to normal.

We have three laptops on the go constantly in this household and it only happened with the one. Most odd. :3eyes:

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Rearm by saving following code to rearm.bat and then run it.
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    @CLS
    @ECHO.
    @ECHO Do you attend to rearm your Windows key?
    @ECHO.
    @CHOICE
    @IF ERRORLEVEL=2 EXIT
    @IF ERRORLEVEL=1 GOTO NextStep
    :NextStep
    @ECHO
    MKDIR C:\7AStemp
    ECHO >> C:\7AStemp\7_Activation_Script.reg Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    ECHO >> C:\7AStemp\7_Activation_Script.reg 

ECHO >> C:\7AStemp\7_Activation_Script.reg [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE]
    ECHO >> C:\7AStemp\7_Activation_Script.reg "MediaBootInstall"=dword:00000000
    :GetKey
    @ECHO.
    @SET /p W7KEY=Please enter you product key:
    @ECHO.
    @ECHO Is this your product key: %W7KEY%
    @ECHO.
    @CHOICE
    @IF ERRORLEVEL=2 GOTO :GetKey
    @IF ERRORLEVEL=1 GOTO :Continue
    :Continue
    ECHO >> C:\7AStemp\Activate.bat @ECHO OFF
    ECHO >> C:\7AStemp\Activate.bat SLMGR -ipk %W7KEY%
    ECHO >> C:\7AStemp\Activate.bat SLMGR -ato
    ECHO >> C:\7AStemp\Activate.bat @ECHO.
    ECHO >> C:\7AStemp\Activate.bat @ECHO You can delete  C:\7AStemp  after closing this prompt
    ECHO >> C:\7AStemp\Activate.bat @ECHO.
    ECHO >> C:\7AStemp\Activate.bat PAUSE
    ECHO >> C:\7AStemp\Activate.bat EXIT
    ECHO >> C:\7AStemp\7_Activation_Script.reg [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/RunOnce]
    ECHO >> C:\7AStemp\7_Activation_Script.reg "AddBoot"="C:\\7AStemp\\Activate.bat"
    REGEDIT /s C:\7AStemp\7_Activation_Script.reg
    SLMGR /rearm
    CLS
    @ECHO.
    @ECHO *** Windows will now restart ***
    @ECHO.
    PAUSE
    SHUTDOWN -r -f
    EXIT
    If Windows still declares the key invalid upon activation you need to use MS phone system to reactivate.

5. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    I also had a popup this morning telling me its not original-software but after a second check it said its fine.

6. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    got the same thing the other day as windows was booting just after the windows load screen but before the desktop loads , a message telling me my key wasnt genuine and i needed to purchase one.

when it booted to desktop i checked and its valid and genuine and been fine since how odd

7. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    I had a similar problem the other day when I reinstalled windows. It was telling me I had to buy another serial key but I knew mine was fine. I tried activating Windows via internet but it wouldn't take. The only way I could activate it was by phone.

8. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    you guys and a whole lotta other people seem to be getting this I think there maybe problems with MS's activation servers

9. phrozin

phrozin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gskill ripjaw 2133
    you have been flaged as non genuine go to control panel programs and feature's and uninstall windows update KB971033 then rearm windows and then reactivate it

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  10. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950(70) 885/1350
    KB971033 only detects piracy methods like WAT remover etc.

I called Dell, they said I can't install Windows 7 from a retail disk, which is bull****. You can use a retail windows disk from the MSDN or iso's from mydigitallife.
    Anyway they told me I installed Windows from a retail disk, and they said I had to do it from the recovery partition (which is full of bloatware)

I am getting error code 0xc004c008 on activation if you are wondering what kind of error. I also took the opportunity to look up the error code.

I did not make hardware changes.
    The key is meant for the laptop.
    The key is used on my desktop computer as well, but never had problems.
    Maybe I reinstalled Windows too much?

So after all the only way to make my Windows genuine again is using a Windows Loader 1.9.5
    But when I get the recovery disk, I sure won't pay them.

I don't want to buy Windows 7 since we are close to the next Windows. The next beta will pop up soon maybe by the end of this year .

That batch script what does it do exactly? Is it possible to force activation? Maybe I can integrate the key, skip activation and look like it's activated? Since it's a legal serial key when activated it should work.

11. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    You have to install from recovery partition if you want to use Dells key its as simple as that. Dell have their own keys, and their own builds of the OS. (Yes, with bloatware.) Their keys are incompatible with the retail discs, if you want a retail version of the OS you'll need to buy one with its own retail key.

12. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950(70) 885/1350
    How do you explain me installing Windows 7 from a iso file I found on the internet? I did this like 100 times and activated it with the serial successfully.

Due to SLIC tables and certificates you can do what ever you want actually. Watch my words when I get that recovery disk, it still won't work :)

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    MSDN, SPLA and Distributed keys for server OS differ from workstations, so you can use OEM keys even if the OS media doesn't come from DELL.
    As long as it is the same version it really doesn't matter.

@djjonastybe
    DELL can't help you if you did to many reinstallations, that is something MS handles.
    Needles to say that your not allowed to run the OEM license on your desktop.
    Neither would I talk to high about using a copy found on the internet.

I bet it's the SP1 preupdate which obvious has a strengthened security check.

14. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950(70) 885/1350
    Actually is there a document that specifies the maximum amount of reinstallations? I don'T remember myself ever having this issue. It's like an anti-virus. You can only install it three times even if your PC crashes.

I once remembered myself calling to Symantec that my computer crashed, and I had two licenses of norton 2010 left. I got three licenses of 2011 for free. They definately have the best support.

Well actually I am getting tired of Windows 7. I have some Windows Server 2008 R2 serial keys which are still legit. So I could try converting it to a workstation. But I don't think it will be easy to work with on a laptop. I did it so far, played Killing Floor on it and performance was good.

I have my recovery disk tomorrow or the day after that.

15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Did you try calling microsoft? You never know, there may be a reason why it's not working, whether it be a problem at your end or theirs... It's worth a try...