1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 is too "bright"

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by xFAUSTx, Mar 13, 2014.

1. xFAUSTx

xFAUSTx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5770
    I switched from XP to Win7 recently and the screen became much more vivid and bright (it literally hurts my eyes, especially the whites). It looked fine on XP with the same settings.
    I didn't change my hardware or my monitor settings. It looks the same with or without the graphics driver so I'm pretty sure it's a problem with Win7.
    Changing the monitor settings or using the win7 display calibrator /catalyst color correction didn't help at all, the vividness is still there even when I calibrate the monitor correctly.

Is this normal for Win7 and I'm just not used to it? Because I'm thinking about switching back to XP just to cure my eye pain and headache.

Win7 Ultimate x64
    Samsung 2253BW
    HD 5770
    Catalyst 13.12

2. JulesCools

JulesCools Banned

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Go to control panels, in search box type in: calibrate display. Click on "Calibrate display color" under Display. Follow the directions :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  3. mcdinz

mcdinz Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 750Ti 2GB
    too bright?you mean out of contrast.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Turn down the brightness....problem solved.

5. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    windows vista and up has more white then windows xp

windows xp has like a tan color. I actually liked the color and miss it.and tried to get windows 7 to look like it. but failed and made things ugly

windows 8 is worse. more white.

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Shouldn't be happening. Try solid colors fullscreen (use paint or any application). You need a direct comparison.

Which brightness? The backlight isn't any brighter and adjusting brightness via software (control panel) messes up everything.

7. xFAUSTx

xFAUSTx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5770
    Yeah, I can't fix this with the display calibrator or with the catalyst color correction. Changing the gamma, brightness, contrast sliders didn't fix the vividness of the bright colors.
    It made the screen feel a little more tolerable for my eyes when I turned most settings down but that makes everything look unnatural and ugly.

It's unfortunate because I really like Win7 but feeling nausea after 2 hours doesn't worth it for me.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Have you tried to switch to no Aero theme?

Edit: Also when in the past I stopped using CCC`s setting for controlling the colors by Catalyst itself I finally managed to succeed with calibration routine.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  9. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Banned

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    In power management setting ,under monitor ,you have an auto btlright whatever setting enabled ,so in the dark its low in bright its high .either fiddle with setting or disable it.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    This is a desktop, not a laptop.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Probably he meant desktop monitors with light sensor.

12. xFAUSTx

xFAUSTx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5770
    Yes but it didn't help.

Nope I don't have anything like that.

I set the contrast slider in CCC lower (80 instead of 100), it's still vivid but It seems my eyes are starting to adjust to the screen because they hurt much less.
    I will keep Win7 for a month and see if my eyes can get used to it.
    Thank you guys for the help.

13. John Slovak

John Slovak New Member

GPU:
    HP EliteDesk
    xFAUSTx have you already found solution to your problem?

Many people who switched from XP to windows 7 , 8, 10 have similar problems and many people do not have this problems at all. I guess our eyes are sensitive to something whitch was introduced with windows 7 arrival or perhaps already when Vista arrived.

I have very similar problems. On the same hardware I have installed old windows XP and windows 7. On windows XP I have no problems with eyes at all. I can work on computer for more than 11 hours a day and no problem with eyes. When I use windows 7 my eyes start to get sore right a way and after a few hours I feel pain and can not work normally. I am really sad that windows XP is deprecated because I would never ever switch to higher Windows due to problems with eyes.

There are several ways you can try that your eyes would get some reliefe. You can try set Windows 7 as close to Windows XP
    You can try disabling cleartype fonts.
    You can try some older driver and disable current graphic driver.
    You can try with different graphic cards, some older cards with older drivers. Some say Geforce graphic card was really good with combination with 4K monitor.
    You can try standard VGA generic driver just to see if there is any difference just for test purposes.
    Some say flux software helped them.

In my case I tryed everything of written above (except Gforce and 4K monitor) and is just a little better for my eyes but I still feel pain after a few hours on windows 7 which I do not feel at all if I use Windows Xp.

Has somebody found any solution? Somebody who has problems with eyes on windows 7, 8 or 10 but did not have any problems on windows XP?

Thank you for any advice and your help in advance.

Greetings.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Should hope so, it's been a year and a half since the last post