[Windows 7 Home] Computer severely lags after swap file setting change

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by shadowflar3, Dec 21, 2015.

1. shadowflar3

shadowflar3 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 780
    So first off i'll begin by saying I should've followed the age old adage of "if it isn't broken don't fix it".

A friend of mine with very similar specs suggested I turn off the page file as he saw a large gaming performance boost with his page-file turned off. I did this, rebooted, and noticed that even though my programs were running well (like games), anytime I tried to open an installer (installing a game for example) the installer would hang and I'd have to force close it. This happened for any installer I tried. I decided to revert the settings except now windows is choking to say the least.

Before my change, I had for my swapfile set to "allow windows to manage swapfile settings across all drives" checked and my C Drive was set so system managed. After I reverted it, the first time I rebooted, my swapfile magically went onto my D drive (C and D are separate physical SSDs, Windows installed on C). I had no explanation for this. I rebooted again, and my swapfile is now on my C drive but the peculiar thing is now my boottimes are insanely long, approximately 3-4 minutes at the dark screen with the windows logo and then another 2-3 minutes to get to the desktop. My pagefile looks like it's being set to an initial 16gb on my SSD. Can anyone explain what could've happened to cause such a severe degradation in performance? I also experience way more stutter lag in games now too after changing the setting and switching it back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    You can try to boot into safe mode with command prompt and remove files "pagefile.sys", "swapfile.sys" from root folders on all partitions. On reboot Windows should recreate files.

Also you should check again actual state of page file settings. This particular dialog has confusing controls - you should first click "Set" button after changing any setting and then click "Ok" or "Apply" button at the bottom of dialog.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  3. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Master Guru

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    uir better of with win8.2 or even win10 yes i no win10 will spy on us but it is more modern. anyway think 8 will be best for u an forgot 7 it is stick in the past like a lump of rottern fish

as for win10 well i did try it but i wasnt happy but as soon as it gets better (take out spying then i will use it)

4. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Unless you have a pc with less than 8gb of ram its unlikely the pagefile had any effect with stutter....but like mbk said just turn it back on and reboot pc. The way you had it "system managed" is absolutely fine. Turning it off to boost performance is like a "pc urban myth" going back a long time now.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    urban myth that will never die then again it did help with some games like crysis load faster with out pagefile vs with.

ms been doing it for years there just more transparent about it now,everyone phone is spying on them these days the same amount if not more some complain about being spy on these days is rather dumb, you cant get away from it less you stay off the internet/cell phones, etc etc

setting no page file threw system has the same effect of deleting them does it now when you enabled it the and if pagefile get recreated in spot on the hdd that dont cause fragments is another story, only way around that i know is to turn of pagefiles, reboot pc defrag hdd enable pagefile reboot ,on ssd this is irrelevant though imo

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016