Windows 7 folder name bug when using periods/dots

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Darren Hodgson, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Has anyone else noticed this annoying bug when using folder names with periods/dots under Windows 7 that results in the name being cropped?

For example, in my Drivers folder I appear now to have two folders with exactly the same names, ATI Catalyst 10, because the names are cropped after the period under Explorer. Obviously they are not identical as Windows doesn't allow this. Their full names are ATI Catalyst 10.3 and ATI Catalyst 10.4b and both these filenames show fully and properly when using the Bulk Rename Utility v2.7.1.1 (x64) to display the directory. It seems that if there's a space and further filename after the period/dot then the name displays correctly under Explorer, e.g. ATI Catalyst 10.3 WHQL and ATI Catalyst 10.4b Beta display as expected.

Does anyone know why this happens and how it can be corrected? If Windows doesn't like periods/dots in folder names then why allow them to be used?

2. Snoodles

Snoodles Active Member

GPU:
    Vapor-X HD5770 1GB X-fire
    The only thing I can think of is if you have the folder option "hide file name extensions to known file types" checked on your system. It makes the system hide anything after the period for a file type a program is associated with. Although it seems farfetched, Windows may think the folder is an actual file with a known extention

Ie: ABC.jpg would only show you "ABC" in explorer.

Go to folder options and see if unchecking this helps show the folder name properly.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Thanks for the reply but that doesn't work as Windows will only hide *known* extensions and I don't think .3 and .4b are recognised extensions.