Windows 7 CD key

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by MainframeTM, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, that's the problem, like all activations, big hardware changes require re-activation, difference is with the Windows 10 OEM license, that was tied to the hardware you just replaced

People are saying MS are allowing phone call reactivation if you explain what happened

They want you on 10 so badly, you could just threaten to reinstall 7 and they will probably sh1t a brick and give you a free 10 key for life lol

Big Alarm bell at MS HQ "WARNING, WINDOWS 10 USER THREATENING TO REINSTALL 7!!!"

MS CEO: Quick, give him a Windows 10 key!, NO, Give him 3, no 4!

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    rofl if that give me key for life I would do that.

3. MainframeTM

MainframeTM Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB
    MS key for life. lmao

4. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Thanks for my morning giggle sir' hehe

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This true? Give me the bloody keys, haven't even installed a tryout of win10!

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Do not know how this particular site is held, this is what they had to say in regards to the whole retail license and OEM license thing:

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/7340-frequently-asked-questions-about-windows-10-free-upgrade.html

But that was way back in August.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    In no situation does your original Windows 7/8/8.1 license get converted to an OEM license.

This is true, your previous OS license remains whatever it was before, but your new Windows 10 license, is tied to the hardware

And now you don't have to upgrade either, just use your previous OS key for a clean install

Very confusing all this new licensing

8. MainframeTM

MainframeTM Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB
    I remember getting the msg about the change in key a few weeks after the upgrade. It really didn't explain much. But if I got keys just sitting I think it's time to build moar machines!!!!:pc1::pc1::pc1::pc1::pc1::pc1::pc1::pc1::pc1::pc1::pc1::pc1::pc1::pc1::pc1::pc1:

9. RES

RES Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290
    So, if I'm reading this right....the last Retail version I bought was XP. My Windows 7 disc is an OEM copy I used to upgrade. I can upgrade to Win 10, but when I do a major, hardware upgrade, I'll need to install XP with my retail key, then 7 with my oem key, then update to 10. Did I miss the boat with this?

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Clean install 7 with your upgrade key, activate using the mediabootinstall 0 reg trick
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

Then upgrade to 10

Don't think OEM 7 keys work for clean 10 installs/activation, but could try first, might save some time

11. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Yeah they work did it a couple of weeks ago but I'll tell you when you change hardware be prepared for an hour on the phone I changed mobo only a few weeks ago and it was hard as hell convincing them it was only installed on 1 pc. They were polite as hell accusing me of piracy though lol.

12. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    the moment you have transformed an eligible 7 key into a "hybrid" 7/10 key is the moment when you may install and activate windows 10 on your main machine as often as you want.

technicalities include:

- after minor hw changes (i.e. single non-motherboard component, ext. peripherals of course) automatic activation will work unaffected
    - after major hw changes (i.e. microsoft algorithm will be something like mainboard and/or cpu+x components... lets just say a certain footprint will have to change to a certain degree) you just have to call microsoft support and they will still give you the activation code (just like it was with windows 7 when you had to activate by phone for various reasons)

legally:
    - you may not install it on two or more systems simultaneously if you use a single license
    (technically this is still possible, either by calling ms and pretending to have changed your majorly changed your hardware, or if you are not super unlucky you just use an image of your fresh 10 install of your main system and put it on another rig - BOTH ILLEGAL, even if you only use one system as a time strictly, because of infamous 90-day-rule...)

ms call center agents are being trained to ask very aggressively into that direction to raise the probability of a potential pirate to refrain from continuing the call/procedure... when we all know of course that those who use illegal copies won't bother using this method anyway and certainly would be ruthless enough to hold on to their story if they did nonetheless

they didnt accuse you directly i guess, they just asked if you are sure / can 100% confirm that you are not using a pirated version or are using it for a single machine only, am i right? (which of course still sounds almost as an accusation to the benevolent & paying customer)

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Good to know, I read something somewhere about previous OS OEM keys and clean Windows 10 installs having problems but can't remember exactly what it was now

Yea, also heard some people having no issues with getting reactivated via phone, and others with similar long winded calls like yours

Suppose it depends who you get on the phone, what sort of day their having etc etc

Maybe best to call up on a Friday afternoon, everyone is in a good mood just before the weekend starts

14. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Wait a minute here. I have a retail copy of Windows 8. It was installed on my older laptop and then upgraded to 8.1. Now the laptop has been again upgraded to 10. Are you saying that my original retail license could now be installed on another computer and upgraded as well?

15. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Not legally no while it may or may not work it isn't according to the EULA.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Not at the same time, but it should still work for 8.x if you ever remove 10

I have a few technet 7 keys, I installed 10 on the gfs laptop lastnight, and picked a 7 key to use, and 10 told me it was already in use on another machine, so it does check

17. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    My copy of 8.1 it said it had reached it's limit of activations so it works a couple of times then nope.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Automated phone activation should still work when a key reaches it's online activation limit

Just have to enter a long code on the phone keypad that Windows gives you, and it reads back another long code for you to enter back into Windows, then activates

Open RUN or CMD or Start menu Search: SLUI 4

19. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Okay, that was what I thought but some of the comments in the thread got me thinking they had left a loophole.