Windows 7 can address up-to 192GB memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Now that we have a near-final release candidate RC to play with WinSupersite have been pouring over the licensing policies for the various Windows 7 SKUs stock keeping units or product editions. Some...

More...

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Only 192GB!?

Dammit, I want more.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    LOL, and i only have 4GB in my pc :wanker:

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You might want to read the news-bulletin a little better ;)

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    I expected premium to have a high memory cap than that.

6. Musouka

Musouka Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX970
    It is worse for Home Basic & Home Premium dudes with only 8GB and 16GB maximum memory for the 64-Bit variation, respectively.

I really don't like how MS is crippling the RAM capabilities of the lower-tier versions. Oh well, I guess normal users won't go over 8GB anytime soon but please give them their options.

I can imagine a dude running Home Premium been greeted with a message like the following after spending his life savings buying that glimmering 32GB of RAM:

Windows Home Premium only supports 16GB of RAM. If you wanna more juice cough up some dough and buy the Pro, or better yet, the Ultimate version, Huzzah!

Well, let us hope that Win 8 will support the theoretical limitation of 16EB's. No one would be able to verify that but just include it for kicks :wanker:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  7. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Yeah, the 16gig limit on home premium seems a bit too restrictive. With 4 gigs as the current mainstream, 16 gigs isn't so far away. Maybe if they bumped it up to 32.

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Personally im getting the ultimate one anyways :)

9. Moustacha

Moustacha Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770
    When I saw the title my first thought was "How much will they make you pay to be able to get to that limit?". Looks like it's the price of the top-tier

10. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    As if it wasn't painfully obvious that MS was money hungry already.

11. hohum

hohum Member

Since when is a 16GB limit 'crippling' or 'restrictive'? No home user is going to hit that limit anytime soon, so I don't see the issue at all. Besides, these same limits also exist on Vista, so it's nothing new.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Before Windows 7 is out of the picture 24GB (4GB x 6) to 32GB (4GB x 8) will be used often enough. An 8GB-16GB limit is bullsh1t. I built my PC back in the mesozoic era and even back then I was considering putting 8GB RAM in it. The next PC I build will have 12GB in it if it's a triple channel setup or 16GB if it's a dual channel setup... and that's assuming I build one in a year or so otherwise I might shove more in there.

13. hohum

hohum Member

24GB? Home users will still mostly be running 32-bit applications for some years yet, so the most they will need for a good while is 4GB. Considering most PC users will have Home Premium, a 16GB limit is more than enough for a long time yet.

Well that would probably have been a waste then, unless you use 64-bit editing tools of some sort.

Well good for you, but unless you have software that takes advantage of such memory capacities then I don't see the point (future proofing is moot - when you do need more RAM the prices will have fallen and newer tech will be available). Besides, surely if you are willing to spend a large chunk of money on RAM then you're quite able to purchase the appropriate Windows license for your needs.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    1 - There are still businesses running old PCs with 32MB RAM in them, your point about users sticking to 32 bit to the death is moot. 6GB is already the standard for gaming PCs due to triple channel, even though very few games use over 4GB RAM.

2 - I DO use 64 bit editing tools and some games actually do hog up all of my RAM so maybe 8GB wouldn't have been a bad idea which leads me to my next point...

3 - RAM costs an insignificant amount compared to the price of Windows. 6GB of DDR3 can be bought for less than $120, while Windows starts at $400, big difference.

15. hohum

hohum Member

I'm not talking about corner shop businesses that still run Windows 95/98, they will run ancient setups until it just no longer works. I'm talking about the vast majority of home PC users who have 32-bit games and applications that cannot address more than 2GB anyway (or 3GB with large address aware). Until there's a large shift to producing 64-bit applications there is no need for a home user to require vast amounts of RAM.

6GB for a Core i7 system is arguably justified due to the triple channel setup, although benchmarks suggest that there is no performance benefit outside of synthetic benchmark applications. Also, I'd say it was the 'enthusiast' standard - gaming PCs are generally using Core 2 chips with 3-4GB.

Fair enough, although do tell which games you have make such high usage of RAM? (obviously with 64-bit binaries, although Crysis isn't one of them that's for sure.)

Yes of course, but when you start piling on the cost of extra RAM that you don't really need then a Windows license doesn't seem like bad value at all (although $400 seems a bit high - is that how much Vista costs where you live?).

16. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    The RAM limitation is a PITA and also the fact that you only get the XP mode in the Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions.

What version are you guys going to get?

I thought about getting the Home Premium one, but I want that XP mode, too. This sucks. More money for Microsoft from me then, it seems.

17. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I agree with u mate, 16GB is ****loads of RAM for the average home user, however how often does the average home user upgrade there OS. Most people i know still run XP from when they bought there rig years ago. Most have also had to upgrade there RAM due to what they begin to use there rigs for.

What im saying is the average home user will keep his/her systems for 4-5years and depending on what they venture into 16GB may not be enough by then. Think MS should really up that a bit, most new mobos support up to 24GB RAM now dont they.

Don't really see this as being too much of a problem for enthusiasts as most will have Ultimate anyway :) If i get Win7 will prob get either Pro or Ulti

18. hohum

hohum Member

Yes true, but 16GB is also a large amount by enthusiast standards aswell.

It may not be enough by then, but I'd hazard a good guess that it will be. 32-bit applications are going to be commonplace for some years yet, so it's likely that RAM requirements are going to remain at a bit of a standstill for a while as a result. Wait and see though. :)

Also, regarding 24GB support - anyone remember that quote by Jeff Goldblum on Jurassic Park? Something like: 'They were so pre-occupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should' :D

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Professional. It's always been the best balance of features. There are so many third party media centers that are way better then the Windows one - so that doesn't bother me. The RAM limit is a non-issue with professional and you get XP mode.

As for the RAM limit on Home Premium - I don't think it's too bad. They'll be shipping Windows 8 by 2012/13. And I guarantee that if machines catch up to that point quickly they'll release a service pack to adjust the numbers.

20. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Yup. That's what I'll most likely get now instead, too.
    Good point and you're probably right.