Windows 7 Beta Available to the Public January 9th!!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by biggerx, Jan 8, 2009.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I like it better than Vista (like the my music library,my pictures library etc)
    and the defragger now has an "analyze" button, something i didnt notice in Vista (or maybe coz i use PD2008)

overall yeah it seems better than Vista although I dont like the taskbar (no more quick launch?)

2. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    I agree with waway... the new task bar is useless... old style quicklaunch was miles better.

3. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Even using the latest R2.14 driver?

4. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    How so? You can have quite a few programs on the taskbar just like the quick launch. you can have your open windows either the same as in XP, or have all the similar program windows grouped and previewed on mouse over, which is really nice, and you have less wasted space on the clock area. Seems like an improvement to me, but I'm sure you have your reasons. What don't you like about it?

5. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    I just find it far more fiddley than the old method. I like having the task bar as a serperate feature to the quicklaunch. I only use my quicklaunch for firefox media player steam email msn nero rivatuber and drop to desktop. When I was using Windows 7 i found myself closing windows and them just dropping off my taskbar completely. It was annoying with internet explorer I know you can pin items but I believe they should focus less on changing the way the OS looks and focus more on improving reliability and speed. I wouldn't mind if they gave you the option of the old method. I like the grouping thing thats good but my beef is just with losing a quick launch.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I find it less fiddly. I hardly used quick-launch before and now I never even press the start button. And if you know you can pin them then what's the issue? You state the solution to one of your problems in your post. There are issues, for instance with Java applications - they open separately under different instances.. I guess sun will have issue an update to fix it.

As for improving reliability and speed - I think they've done both. I haven't had a single issue with reliability since Vista. Vista did slow things up a bit, but for me Windows 7 corrected my issues of the OS being snappy. I mean there is benchmarks showing general usage being faster under Windows 7 beta then XP - things like opening applications and copying documents and whatnot.

I also find it amusing how peoples opinions range so differently. On one hand you have people wanting speed and reliability and less focus on interface. On the other you got people wanting stuff like Compiz built into Windows and a greater focus on usability and interface improvements. I think Windows 7 built on both - it's quicker more reliable and offers a rather significant enhancement in usability. Even my parents who's laptop I installed it on had no issue using the new taskbar - a fear which most people thought would occur with a UI change (office ribbon issues.. etc..).

I think it's a great OS and a worthy upgrade if priced right. Someone going from XP to 7 will be decently pleased IMO. But as someone going from Vista to 7 I don't see the reason to shell out a significant amount of cash. I mean, I will because I'm always spending more money on my computer, but I don't think the average user will.

7. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    Oh overall I agree its a great OS I think its fantastic in every aspect except the choice to use the old style quick launch. I rely quite heavily on my quick launch. I don't think the new task bar is as good as XP or Vista. I may just need time to get used to it but I found from my experiece that I did not enjoy using the new method.

I know 7 is both quicker and from what I can tell more reliable than Vista. When I said I would like to see them put more into improving these areas I didn't mean they had not. I just feel that it would be better if more time was spent creating a more reliable OS even if it means keeping the layout pretty much the same.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Unfortunately you have to think about selling the OS as well. I mean look at what the general perception of Windows 7 before most downloaded the beta "Looks the same as Vista." If they sold an OS that was just super fast and super reliable but had the same look as the previous I can guarantee that people wouldn't buy it. Especially with reliability, as Vista was extremely reliable.. so people would perceived that nothing has changed.

But yeah - I dunno, it's a good OS and I like it, I do agree that they should offer options to add quick launch. Perhaps you can submit a feedback report with that in it and they'll listen.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  9. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    Thats a good idea I'll be doing that. I know its just a small point but its makes such a big difference to use somthing your more comfortable with.