Windows 7 Beta Available to the Public January 9th!!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by biggerx, Jan 8, 2009.

1. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/07/microsoft-announces-availability-of-windows-7-beta-and-windows-l/

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx

Microsoft announces availability of Windows 7 Beta and Windows Live
    by Darren Murph, posted Jan 7th 2009 at 9:10PM

"The wait is over, folks. Sir Steve Ballmer has announced the availability of Windows 7 Beta and Windows Live here at his CES keynote. The official word is this: "The beta version of Windows 7, Microsoft's next-generation PC operating system, can be downloaded today by MSDN, TechBeta and TechNet customers. Consumers who want to test-drive the beta will be able to download it beginning January 9 at http://www.microsoft.com/windows7." Moreover, Windows Live -- described as "a free suite of communications and sharing applications that make it easy for people to communicate, share and keep their online lives in sync and in one place with one login -- is now globally available. Oh, and did we mention that January 9th is this Friday? Huzzah!"

2. kid-goku

kid-goku Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    awesome! :D

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Good timing on that. I had just questioned the actual release date a few minutes before your post...lol

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Please note that it's the same build version that's available now.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Always gotta ruin my fun...lol...thanks for the post in my thread btw..

6. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    That's awesome! I hope, there will be a 64-Bit version, though.

7. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    The x64 build is already on the usual torrent sites so that's probably a yes. :p

8. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    I've been playing with Windows 7 for the last few days. I get 6.0 on the 7 experience test however this is due to the install been on a shady 60gb partition on my storage drive and not the raid array. A couple of things that bug me are the new taskbar... I think its a decent idea but just poor. THE REMOVAL OF CLASSIC START MENU! what were they thinking! I hate that new one it sucks. Other than that... I quite enjoy it :) Theres also the fact that my XP drivers work for my network dongle :)

9. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    I think you've been with Xp too long.

10. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    Ive been on vitsa for 18 months. I just prefer the old style start menu it makes more sense. If I want a shortcut to a specific application I'll stick it in the quick launch.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3090 H2O
    Great News , finally i will give it a try.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I should be re-installing my OS tomorrow or saturday due to an upgrade, shall I go with Windows 7 guys? If not this, I'll stick with XP SP3...

13. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    I would recommend to check if everything you use is compatible (Which according to experiences) all seems to work!.....i reinstalled windows recently, but i really want to test this!, I am waiting for a couple of 1tb HDs to arrive so i can do some backup, copy and organization to my data!!

14. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    im using Win 7 build 7000 and i swear its rock solid, ive been using it for about 2 weeks and nothing has crashed, ive had no BSOD's, i would use it as my main OS in a heartbeat but you still might come unstuck with drivers if you have anything unusual or slightly out of date.

i will be trying tomorrows release hopfully.

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    hows gaming on win7 ?

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Now this beta version... will it expire at any time like a trial or can it be continually used?

17. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    for me XP SP3 still gives 5 more fps in farcry bench (which i use as main bench), 33 vs 28

windows7 looks good, but beta still :p, alcohol, daemon tools etc cant be installed. I wouldnt have it as main OS yet

18. Avefenix

Avefenix Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx 8800GtX
    It will expire

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/MainFeed.aspx

im in xp sp3,and saturday i do a new installation of windows 7 beta.
    I installed it in my bro┬┤s computer today, that isnt ready for play games like crysis, gta IV or more.
    We tested some games, and it was like to have a new game system, where games like second life or tf2... got frozen issues all the time. And now with windows 7 beta, can play it very nice. Like windows, bars, and more stuff works so nice too.

p4 3,00Ghz, 1gb ram, 8600gs

If with that bad computer not ready for gaming, windows 7 runs so nice... with a good one ready for gaming...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Well, nothing really that out of ordinary... Q6600, 4gb ram and a gigabyte x38 mobo are what I'm upgrading to... I also have a X-fi, other than that, nothing really weird. How are games performing in 7?

20. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    I heard that punkbuster doesn't work with 7. There are allot of games that need it to be able to play online like CRYSIS ,COD 4,5 and more. Is it true? Can someone confirm this?
    Because I only play crysis wars wich needs PB to play online.