Windows 7 another dud

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by R0achTheWarHero, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    For flash in X64 Win7.

Windows 7, with IE8 has both 32bit and 64bit versions. I thought it was a little weird, but i wont complain.
    If your hardware supports x64, then use the 64bit version of windows 7.

If something isn't working, it's probably either your fault, or your computer parts are old.
    Creative for example, are serious rectal sphincters, they refuse to release new drivers for older hardware to force people to upgrade. Now, i just don't use creative products anymore.

Any problems with firefox, is firefoxes problem, i dont have any issues with opera 10 beta3.

Only problem with windows 7 i've experience.. Bluetooth. Doesn't support audio devices like headsets.
    Also, it took me 3 hours to get my robot to connect to my bluetooth adapter AND work in a terminal program. (but that's probably the UART bluetooth adapter on my robot, cheap piece of junk. Had same problem with XP)

Edit: My bluetooth adapter i use on my desktop, is a $2.50 one i got from dealextreme. works fine with other devices besides audio.
    But i read theres a fix, possibly 3rd party, in the works.

2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Firefox works fine here, only issues I ran it to so far were slight issues with my Razer drivers, but it seems to be sorted now. probably just need an update to add support to 7.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    My annoyance is the same that was in Vista, I cant tweak TCP/IP (Rwin) anymore. 100% connection efficiency in XP VS 79-83% in Vista/WIN7.

Though I didn't like the fact Win7 would bog down and get slow when Install big game like Crysis, While Browsing the Internet and open the Control Panel, While XP did that with ease, Dont know if that was fixed though, also had a problem with WIn7 freezing and becoming unresponsive after PC been Idle for 5+ hours. I would go to move the mouse and try to hit start only for system to freeze for like 3+ minutes before I could do something, if it unfroze at all

Other Then those issues I like Win 7 way more then Vista and quiet stable and it defiantly Booted and Shutdown and ran things faster then Vista does, But i gonna stay with XP till they stop support with updates or I do another PC upgrade , which could be few more years before I do that

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    R0achTheWarHero, sounds like your wanting W7 to have problems, so you can cling to XP a bit longer, i remember when my ex got a Time PC in 2001, after a day i deleted the partition and installed Win98 on it, as did so many other people, took about a year for people to warm to XP, and even then most ran XP in classic mode.

Some people don't like change initally, especially if they know an OS inside and out, and have to start from scratch and learn a new one, this would be easier for people coming from Vista than XP-W7.

I have suffered none of the problems you mentioned, even opened up about 50 tabs in Firefox and shut it down, and it was instant, as was opening Firefox back up again with them all.

tsunami231, i think the freezing thing is a power saving feature, my missus's cheap PC goes into a sleep mode when this happens on her's, and wakes up instantly with a click of the mouse, on mine i have to unplug it from the wall, changing power saving settings seems to have sorted it, as did having a screen saver activated.

5. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    55nm 260gtx 750/1511/2406
    What exactly have you gained by installing Windows7 instead of XP is the real question. My FPS is substantially lower in a few games, multitasking is less responsive, the OS is using more resources. I just don't see any positive side to it. It's like Vista all over again. Even my internet is slower because I can't alter the TCP settings like I can in XP.

I can probably list a page of things it's doing worse than XP for me but can't think of anything it's actually doing better. It's not an upgrade if it's doing 100 things worse and 0 things better lol. My SSD hard drive also benches the same in Win7 as it does in XP even after all the "SSD optimizations" hype from the new OS.

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Then don't use it.

No one is forcing you to use it, but there's certainly a lot more people around that find it better.
    No point in complaining about it. If you don't like it, stick with whatever you're comfortable.

7. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    From what i gathered about the SSD optomizations in win7, it's not about speed.
    Appearently it increases the lifespan.

Alot of these problems you're having, i'm not seeing. So it might just be you.
    All my games run better than in XP. I even have some classic games that didn't run in XP but run in windows 7.

Look you don't really have a choice, you're going to have to upgrade sooner or later.
    Microsoft has already given life extensions multiple times to XP. They aren't going to keep it going forever.
    Eventually your OS will become out of date and insecure to a point where it would be crazy to keep using XP.
    Redemption is right about the win98 thing.
    I was using windows xp rather early, still do on most of my computers.
    I never let go of that classic grey task bar, even the PC i'm using now is XP with classic view.
    My PC would lock up sometimes coming from standby too. This is true, i fixed it, but now i don't even use standby, i just let win7 use power saving and it drops the cpu to like 800mhz. Just leave it on all night, it turns off the screen and hdd, and puts everything into power saving mode, but i can "wake" up the pc by wiggling the mouse, can't beat that.

If you don't like windows 7, then don't use it. i didn't like vista, so i didn't use it.
    But for me, windows 7 fixed everything i didn't like in windows vista.

8. kid-goku

kid-goku Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    if u dont like it, then dont use it
    sorry to say this, but this thread fails

9. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    55nm 260gtx 750/1511/2406
    There's how to spot a fanboy when you see nonsense like this. There's 0 reason a game made before 2010 is going to run faster in Win7 x86 than Xp x86.

10. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    No Creatives drivers have been out of beta for Win 7 for a while. They have an official WHQL set out and they work perfect.

Whatever the OP's problem is, he seems to be one of a very few peoples. Win 7 and Vista both ran great for me.

11. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I usually steer clear of these kinds of threads, but I feel that I have to post.

Now it's become ridiculous. You've clearly not done any research into this, nor have any experience in it...what you said there is pure conjecture and opinion based on nothing.

Microsoft hit a home-run with XP, there's no doubt. And, there are many users that absolutely refuse to upgrade to anything else. But, the fact is, that MS has put literally millions of dollars into research and development for their new OS.
    You've got to realize that Win7 isn't Vista - sure it looks the same, but it's what Vista could have been, had they not had to shove something out the door for the stock investors.
    Many of the drivers that are installed with 7 are dated from 2006 - this should tell you that Vista was an incomplete OS to begin with...and lead you to the same conclusion that they weren't done with it, waiting for the next iteration to unleash all the potential that Vista could have had.

There are hundreds of XP vs. Win7 threads/posts/websites/blogs - and there are more people that have good experiences than bad - and the same exact thing happened to XP...this isn't their first rodeo.

Just for the record, I've tested every build since 6068, and yes, there have been bugs (although, I've not experienced anything negative) - but my Win7 install plays every single one of my games just as fast as XP, if not faster.
    No, I don't play antiquated games, as that's not what I'm into, but trying to play any of the newer games on XP really hinders image quality due to the lack of DX support.

Doing anything on an XP machine feels so archaic anymore, that I almost refuse to do it - and it's part of what I do!

If you did it right and formatted your HDD completely (not just a quick format, a *complete* format) and installed Windows 7 from scratch (not an 'upgrade'), there's very little that could possibly have gone wrong - ask anyone here or anywhere that's tested any build of Win7.

Point here is that XP's life is at an end - and for good reason. Windows 7 is the most complete operating system on the planet compared to anything that anyone else has made, and compared to anything that's come before it...it has more functionality and administrator tools than XP *can* have, is just as fast without any tweaking, and in a lot of cases, actually takes up LESS room and LESS resources than a heavily tweaked XP does.

Add to that, that any 32bit operating system should just simply fall off the planet...but then you've got XP x64...which you still can't get drivers for. So, you're stuck with 3GB or less of RAM, less admin rights and tools, less functionality, and no DX10, DX10.1 and DX11.

I'm sorry for your luck man, really does suck for you - but I think you should give it a little more of a try than you have...Windows 7 is superior in more ways than the list of 'negatives' that you can come up with.

(now THAT'S fanboyism!) ;)

Psychlone

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Think again :3eyes:

- it supports dx10 and dx11
    - the drag and snap feature is fantastic
    - jump-list is a great feature that allows you quick access to your recently used files (try that on xp)
    - some games and applications actually run better under w7 than xp
    - it's better than xp at booting, shutting down, login out/in
    - it installs every piece of your hardware you have in your pc (although I updated the gpu/sound-card drivers but for a casual user it's fine)
    - takes 15 minutes to install
    - aero-peak is a nifty little feature (try that on xp)
    - it supports touch-screen
    - it's easier to customize with all the gadgets
    - very powerful search engine (you'll probably tell me that you don't search, but you would if the xp search engine was as good as windows 7's).
    - it's a lot faster and responsive than XP ever was for me

These are just a few things W7 does better than XP. I've used XP up until a couple of weeks ago since it first came out. I skipped Vista. But W7 is a lot better than XP. For me it is, anyway. On a decent, well put together rig with no conflicts it flies. Sure, some old games run slower, but the difference between 90fps and 100fps doesn't bother me. I can run games in DX10 now, some new games run better than in XP.

EDIT: How can one possibly say that there's nothing better in W7? Are you crazy?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  13. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    I got Win 7 Installed atm I butchered it tho....

-I would prefer a classic start menu but it seems they dont want you to.
    -Recovery system works better and faster with Win7 strangly tho...
    -Would prefer a XP/2k3 File Search I dont like the format they have Windows Search setup sadly when you remove it you just don't get a search of any kind....
    -Asus STX Sound Card cripples Win 7 driver problem tho so I had to install my Creative *cringe*
    -They added a feature which I love from 2k3/2k8 Advanced Optimization for the HD
    -Found out a defetive Floppy Drive will freeze Win 7 during OS install while XP/2k3 it will not....so I replaced the drive just was putting it off.
    -Formatting a Drive within Windows = Explorer Reset ....dunno what that was about
    -Not having to restart for a Nvidia Driver install is great
    -Not being able to find a way of putting Show Desktop icon on the left of the screen....
    -Had to disable stacked Taskbar setting
    -Disabled DEP/Indexing/Superfetch/Aero/UAC/FIREWALL/Notification (renamed security center)
    -Default Driver it installed for Hardware Raid was incorrect and was causing data corruption
    -Haven't had time to test games yet...
    -Had to upgrade Symantec Enpoint (lol classic norton case with new OS)
    -New Auto Network Sharing is useless and uneeded.
    -Still not being able to default to a Admin Account without going into Safe Mode kinda strange been like this since XP/Vista except 2k3/2k8 here its setup during OS install.
    -Its Auto Resolution selection for my LCD is always wrong with ever new Driver install it chooses 1440x900 when the monitor native res is 1600x1200 and the other is 1920x1200

14. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Not a fanboy, not even a boy.
    And i don't use windows 7 x86. I never said i did either.

Reason 1: Directx 10 and 11. Some games are actually optimized on directx 10, and gain a performance boost.
    Reason 2: Windows 7 is already pretty optimized, you wouldn't think so, but using the same hardware between XP x86, and windows 7 x64, even data transfer speeds from my hard drive are better.

A person can argue comparing x86 to x64 is like apples to oranges.
    But it would be foolish to do so.

Most games aren't designed for 64bit, but still run better on the 64bit OS.

Further more, i use 4GB of ram. Soon upgrading to 8GB when newegg gets my type back in stock.
    XP x86 can't even handle that much ram. And if i'm not mistaken, Win7 x86 can with a couple minor tweaks.

Windows XP is a great OS. Out of the 8 computers i have, only one uses windows 7, 6 are on windows xp, and 1 is on DOS 6.22

Further more, you can't say a game made before 2010 can't run better on windows 7 than on XP. A game company can release a game tomorrow that only works on vista and higher, and you would lose any credibility.

This thread seriously needs to get locked. R0ach is just trolling, trying to upset people with pointless debates and arguments. Flaming as well.
    Like i said before, if you want to keep using XP, then by all means, keep using it. It's a great OS.
    And 10 years from now, when everyone is on Windows 10, You can still be on XP if that's what you want.
    Hell i still have a PC that runs DOS. To play all my old dos games. DosBox doesn't quite match a true dos environment.
    But now you'll probably claim that vanilla XP can run all my dos games too.

I'm going to go ahead and exclude myself from the rest of this thread.
    Windows XP vs Windows 7 threads are becoming worse than political or religious threads.

15. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    You guys suck, Windows XP rips Windows 7 a new one. DirectX 10 was a sham and DirectX11 is the same!

16. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Your only argument is DX11 is a sham? Thats it? Out of everything else thats changed your sole purpose for not going to Windows 7 is DX11? Hahaha, oh man I really do find that sad. Enjoy XP while it lasts, which isn't long as that dinosaur is soon to be extinct.

In all seriousness, DirectX 11 at this point in time is meaningless, wait about a year and I'm sure you wont be calling it a sham.
    It's proven that gaming aside (which is either on par or better than XP with both Vista and 7), 7 still manages to be a much more responsive, faster and overall it is much more efficient. It's also much nicer to look at, even with customization XP still looks tired and old.

..yeah I realize that your probably being sarcastic, but I just felt like venting over that because I'm sure theres "that guy" who believes what you said.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  17. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI

What? How is Direct X 11 a sham? Its not the reason the Windows 7 beats XP hands down there's a ton of other features in Windows 7 that XP doesn't have and will never have, and the the responsiveness of the OS and stability beats XP hands down. So your argument is the same old one that was with Vista, and all it says is, that you're unwilling and afraid to change. What will you do when driver developers, and Microsoft finally do drop support for that aging OS? With how well Windows 7 is being adopted by IT and business departments so far I believe it to not be very far in the future.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    FFox is instant for me in W7, loading, closing tabs, everything. all my apps load instantly, it boots faster than XP ever did and no matter all the startup items i have, it still boots faster.

W7 is also very fast on my Netbook, it also loads faster than XP...this being an Atom cpu were talkn about here.

XP out of the box sucks bigtime, you have to install so many drivers..etc or slipstream them, W7 loaded every single driver in my Netbook right after install. on my main rig, i had all except Creative driver but it downloaded after it prompted me it was available.

Your opinion seems to be based on a very linear experience foundation, that being you checked it out once on one rig. 99% of the time, the problem for new installs is between the kb and chair which includes your choice of drivers, how you set it all up and how you use it.

to diagnose your FF issue, try installing FF first immediatly after a fresh install and see if it still does it, it could just be how W7 is first superfetching, indexing...etc. you need to give it some time perhaps. However i'm confident that W7 has the ability to close all your tabs instantly...if it does for me or anyone else then its not W7 itself, but at most its an interaction (compatability) between the OS and your hardware, but something a patch could possibly fix.

Its a new OS, of course there will be bugs with some configurations, as a member here, you should know that. Every OS has bugs and even people still have issues with XP despite it being 8+ years old. W7 is the better OS for sure, just give it time.

19. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Here we go.... Every release sees the same thing... Yada Yada Yada....

Windows 7 rocks period.....

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    is that why you're using vista 64 bit?