Windows 7 another dud

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by R0achTheWarHero, Aug 20, 2009.

1. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    55nm 260gtx 750/1511/2406
    At first I was excited about this OS, just like when Vista first came out. After using the 32bit RTM for a few weeks, my conclusion is virtually the same as my experience with Vista. It's just not as good as XP.

You start to develop this feeling of contempt for the OS in the back of your mind but you can't figure out why. After a while, you start to notice why. There's lots of little annoyances and hiccups that just aren't in XP.

One such example is, you can open 10 tabs of firefox in Windows7 then hit the close button to close them all simultaneously. On my hardware in Windows XP, they all close quick with no pause. In Windows 7, it causes a few seconds of hiccup in the system and instead of closing instantly, it bogs down your system for a couple of seconds then closes. The thing is just not as responsive as XP, it feels just like Vista after you use it for a while. Is this a Windows problem or a Mozilla problem? Hell if I know. All I know is, it's the kind of annoyance that you'd see in Vista and is still there in Windows 7.

Then I load up an older MMORPG game and I'm getting around 48fps in a spot where I get 60+ fps in Windows XP. Tried 190.38 and two other drivers, no difference.

So as of right now I'm uninstalling.

My current hardware:

Asus p5b Deluxe motherboard
    3.5ghz core2duo
    Nvidia 260GTX
    4gigs ram
    60gig OCZ Agility SSD hard drive

2. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Nope, i can have like a million tabs and it closes instantly

3. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. It does random finicky things just like Vista. Whereas in XP, if you hit a button, you know exactly what's going to happen. Win7 still has that bloated feel like Vista and it shows in several different examples.

One example, if I load two instances of a MMORPG in windowed mode. If I enter a different zone that requires loading from the hard drive in one window then try to tab to the other one while the first loads, the entire screen will turn white and you get the win7 hourglass icon and the screen remains white until it finishes loading.

In XP, you can tab to the second screen while the first one loads with no problem but not in Win7. So the OS doesn't even seem to handle multi tasking as well as XP. It literally freezes your system with a white screen and hourglass icon and won't let you tab to something else until the first one loads.

These tiny annoyances (which there are lots of), add up quick and give the overall feeling of a downgrade rather than upgrade.

4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    In my opinion.

You should be using 64bit, otherwise go away.
    Plus you're talking about a 3rd party App such as Firefox, which probably hasn't even been optimized or have a few little quirks still since Windows 7 RTM is new.

Try the 64bit Optimized Minefield version instead.

5. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    it doesnt support flash right?

well, flash doesnt support 64bits i mean xD

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I actually thought it was working. I can't remember having issues with it.

Go and test it?

7. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Flash runs fine on my 64 bit win 7.

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Wasn't flash per say, more 32bit flash under a 64bit browser.

9. Lacusmons

Lacusmons Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    You can run Flash player on x64 of windows but not in X64 version of IE.

EDIT: Whoops, Finchwizard was quicker :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  10. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Didn't know that. There has to be a 64 bit Opera before I notice that flash won't work in 64 bit browsers :p

11. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    And not having Flash is a problem, why?

Biggest pain in the ass I know with regards to the internet is flash - especially in advertising and video.

12. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    You can't run flash on a 64 bit browser except for on linux you can run it in firefox.

13. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    For videos it's quicktime imo :p

14. Dmented

Dmented Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix
    I tried the new Minefield a sec ago after seeing this post, and it's pretty damn good. I was having a issue with downloads being kinda slow finishing. Not the speed but it would take forever for the virus scan to scan it and so on. With the new one it finishes instantly.

Hope it goes final soon!

15. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    Win7 64bit RTM was actually worse when I had that installed. The 32bit is about as stable as it gets but it just feels more bogged down than XP. The 64bit on the other hand, I had "explorer has stopped responding" message a couple times with that (the windows component not IE).

It may be due to Nvidia or Soundblaster drivers and not the OS itself but it definitely wasn't as stable as the 32bit for me in it's current state.

edit: I also got a message from the OS that said something like "advanced sound effects on creative soundblaster device may be causing problems, click here to turn it off" in win7 64bit. I didn't get that message in win7 32bit. I don't think the lack of 64bit driver support is going away any time soon.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009

16. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    oh how i hate this topics called "another dud" why do why ppl speak in apsollute it is beyond me.

wind 7 dose not work for but it works farrr better then xš for me

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Creative's Win7 drivers are in beta....period. Whether the company states otherwise or not. As for your issues, I have yet to experience any of them and I'm using Windows7 on a 2ghz Celeron-M. I get zero lag at any time during normal usage....In fact, you can check the specs for my laptop, it's an Acer 5315-2808....lol. XP irritates me to no end. It looks and feels obsolete.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    @OP - seems like your rig is proper dodgy. I have W7 installed and have zero problems with it. So do many gurus here. All the reviewers loved it. So seems like it's a user error on your side. I just switched from xp sp3 last week and I love it! It's so much more responsive than xp ever was. Everything works great!

And anyway, why moan about something you don't like? Just uninstall the damn thing if you have it that much.

19. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    hmm there are final creative drivers

20. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Windows 7 works perfectly for me.
    My rig ain't that great.