Windows 7 and 8 users can upgrade for free to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 21, 2015.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Wow, what an outright ignorant comment.

OMG! YIKES!!1! :D

Yeah, I went for the manufacturer's driver anyway, but it's nice to see you couldn't do it if it was your only machine. Where should I get a driver if my LAN doesn't work because win doesn't support it? I still feel that something as basic as an onboard LAN driver should never run out of service.
    The driver still existed, why wasn't it in the database? Certainly it wasn't EOL from the manufacturer. I just thought it was because they simply thought it was too old to be used still, so somewhat "end of life".

You're not the only one ;)

It's a public beta.

No, I wouldn't. With free stuff from M$, I personally look for the hook of it all. Not everybody trusts them utterly and thinks they only want to do you good for the consumer's sake.
    And you got any proof on what you claim, that there won't be a standalone win11 sometime? I'd be surprised if you'd never have to pay for windows again.

Oh yes... it'll come.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    You are not forced to upgrade (you wont get hacked if you dont), Its possible some things will stop working even.
    (could be because of old hardware and not supported anymore , or because sofware is different or handled differently).
    Im still on windows 7 on one of my PC's because of this problem.
    So its basicly trial and error to see if everything still works ok.

3. SquirrelBoy

SquirrelBoy Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX770 Jetstream
    I'll take the free upgrade on my laptop, since it came with 8.1.
    On my desktop I'll stick with 7 though, since that's the last windows where you can turn off the DWM without rendering windows completely useless (to disable the layer of vsync)

For those who want to see what I'm talking about, play something like Mario Kart on the Dolphin emulator on 8.1.
    Your framerate will randomly seem to tank down to 30, even though the FPS counter shows 60.

4. sirrith

sirrith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    I guess having someone assume one is too old to learn is better than being too narrow-minded/juvenile to see another's point of view.

A game I like very much works very well on W7. It doesn't work well at all on W8. I have no guarantee that it will work very well on W10.

That said, I am looking very much forward to this; hate W8 on my laptop, even after the 8.1 update. Will be switching to W10 on day 1 there while keeping W7 on my desktop for a while until I see how W10 works.

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Woah sorry I have to step in here and clarify, I am not some Windows 8 basher who hates the OS for no good reason. In fact I am more than happy with Win 8.1 just the same as I was with Win 7. That's the rub for what I use it for it seems that I could have just stuck with Win 7 and while Win 8 may well do stuff better it doesn't do it to such a degree that I notice it over how Win 7 used to do it.

6. Sergio

Sergio Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
    DX12 will be on Windows 10 only?

7. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Likely, yes.

8. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    We're talking about release Windows 10. Should be obvious.

Old hardware? I've yet to encounter 1 PC/laptop from the Vista era that won't work with Windows 8, and I've worked with plenty.

That reminds of all the people who couldn't install AMD drivers, when all they had to do was use the CCC installer in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

With a little trial and error, I've managed to sucessfully install Windows 8 on all machines, even on laptops running Intel Pentium M (except some with 9 series integrated GPU, but they don't even run in Windows 7 properly).

And if it runs Windows 8, it runs on Windows 10. It's not a change as drastic as Windows 7 -> Windows 8.1.

What game?

I still haven't heard a good solid reason why anyone shouldn't upgrade to Windows 10, other than illogical resistance to change.

You can always keep Windows 7 in dual boot, but it makes no sense to have it as the primary OS.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Cleaned up some posts and handed out infractions, let's keep it classy folks.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    When does Windows 10 release?

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    They just said later this year.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    MS seem to enjoy October as RTM dates iirc

13. red6joker

red6joker Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    Yeah its a conspiracy.

14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    So what we are getting here are full on upgrades to Win 10 rather than being able to format and do a total and clean install from fresh of Win 10?

15. chimchim

chimchim Banned

GPU:
    nothing
    What gives you that idea? I paid for the upgrade from Vista to 8 and I can clean install using the key.

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    but you can only get the upgrade for free if..

you currently running windows 7 or windows 8.1.

have to do the upgrade from within the system

WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO CLEAN INSTALL WITHOUT BUYING KEY.

wait...

if I have to reinstall the system later on. does that mean I might have to buy the key?

or just hope that system refresh works?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  17. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    They give you a key when you do the upgrade, this is the key you can use then for install the upgrade.. or reinstall the OS.
    This key work like a standard authentification key.

This said, this is not the boxed DVD version. They will not send you a box version of it. so you will need to download it and install it.

This work exactly the same way that when you buy / upgrade from other version ( 7 to 8 or whatever ) or vista to seven

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Surely once you update you will have a key to use if you need to do clean install.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    There'll likely be a workaround like there was with installing and activating 8.1 with a Win 8 key, need to use a gVLK to install, then -ipk your real win 8 key to activate

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Or use win8.1 key > activate, then you get another key for win10 and activate that on top..

Kinda like win8.1 > WMC key (retail, multiple activations on single pc) and you get win8.1 WMC.