Windows 7 and 8 users can upgrade for free to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 21, 2015.

1. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Fantastic news, all PC's, laptops and tablets in my house run Windows 7 or 8.1. I was considering at one point to move the PC's to Windows 8.1 but knowing that I can now upgrade for free to Windows 10 within the first year of release it good news.

Obviously I won't update on day 1 like day 1 noobs in case of problems etc. Give them half a year to squash bugs etc.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Great news and if all windows update/refresh happen via windows update from then on this is a day one buy

3. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Outside use OpenGL Next or Mantle ? joke aside, no, i dont think.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I upgraded to WinME, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 on "day 1" and didn't experience any "issues" with any of them. It's only the "noobs" that experience issues. The rest of us do just fine upgrading on "day 1"...

You mean a day 1 download....right? Only reason to buy, is if you just have to have the legit MS install media.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it mean when it comes out i will buy windows 10..

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The only problems that I am facing with upgrading to windows 10 would be drives for various motherboard things any Gog related games.

7. Musouka

Musouka Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX970
    That's quite subjective. I tried the latest version of OS X a couple of times on the iMac's in my university's library, and I totally abhor the experience. There is a learning curve involved. It is not 'intuitive' and I had to Google how to do a thing or two.

8. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Too many potential issues with upgrading (especially at launch), rather get a standalone copy.

9. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    You're joking, right? :3eyes:

10. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I hope it isn't subscription based and I hope it's clear right from the start what it is they're doing with that and don't get you to upgrade and then tell you it's a yearly price.

11. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    From what I've seen about Windows 10 it's headed down the same dumb-everything-down-on-the-way-to-idiocy road that Windows 8 tried to go down. Oh sure, the Start Menu is back, but they glued the f@cking "Metro" tiles to the side of it. That's not what we wanted Microsoft! Was anybody asking for that? NO! Does anyone want that? NO! Are you idiots for doing this? YES!

At least the system will now detect if you're using a tablet or if you're using a PC and then configure the UX accordingly; if you're on a tablet it defaults to the god-dam Start Sceen "Metro" UX, if yer on a PC it defaults to the good old desktop & Start Menu UX. That's how it should have been in the first place so congratulations Microsoft; It only took you five years to figure out that you were doing it wrong.

Meanwhile, they're busy dumbing down the rest of the interface, forcing the Metro design atheistic everywhere they didn't get around to wrecking when they pushed out Windows 8 and just generally ****ing with things that don't need to be ****ed with. Like the right-click context menus. Now they're flat and have no shadows. Supposedly that's better for user who like to put their fingers on the screen to use the context menu??? So... desktop user using their fingers to navigate now?! Are they suddenly too stupid to figure out how to use a mouse? Another brilliant "innovation" from Microsoft.

Oh, and the "search" function now comes with Bing! Yea, yet another "feature" that nobody was asking for. I pray that they will allow you to change the search provider to something else but I'm not holding my breath. Don't get me started about Cortana, although thanksfully that "feature" is not coming to desktops. Or so they say.

On the file system side of things, the god dam ribbon UX is still there in Windows Explorer so classic shell here I come. Oh, look yet another new "feature", it's called "Home." ::facepalm:: Seriously, that's what they called it. It's basically the "libraries" virual folder feature they forced on everyone back in Vista and 7. If you like that becasue you don't know how to organize your files then great, use it. I know how the directory structure works, I know how to keep my files organized, I don't need the OS to do any of that for me. Here's hoping that Microsoft will allow users to disable this "home" thing stuff like they did with the useless (useless to me anyways) "Libraries feature."

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  12. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    This is looking to be even worse than windows 8 ! Cloud based bs they want to spy on everything hold my data for me etc. No thanks I can purchase my own hard drives, my own backup media, and let me keep my privacy. I am one of the users that prays steam and the likes crashes, goes out of business so all thou files and games will be flushed down the toilet. That's right I take self responsibility and don't want someone else controlling my data. No wonder it is going to be free is garbage and they know it! They just want to own you and monitor everything you do. Of course if you play games I am sure they will only make dx12 for win10 and not support windows 7 the last os they will prob. ever make worth a dam. Cya Microsoft crash and burn!

13. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Yeah

Probably the same people who were staying with XP. What I don't get is that why these guys are using Windows at all and why they bother hanging on PC sites. Just go away to Android or what ever. Who cares.

"I m the only thinking that maybe a way to put directx12 on windows7 will be still possible?"

No its not. Windows 7 (aka Windows 2009, aka Windows 6 years old) mainstream support already ended so dont expect any new features. They are not stupid enough to create a new XP issue. Get over it.

14. chimchim

chimchim Guest

GPU:
    nothing
    cringe

15. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Guest

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    That's how I'm setup, Windows 7 for the few games I have that need it and Linux for everything else. When eventually a few decent DX12 games come out for Windows 10 I'll obviously have to upgrade my Win7 partition but that will be a long way off yet. Could never use Windows 10 as my main OS, tried the preview build last year and it wasn't for me, gaming is the only time I'll use it. Wouldn't be surprised if it was packed full of backdoors anyway, being closed source and all.

Let's see what DX12 brings.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That's what I didn't think about but am worrying about now... what happens if I have to reinstall my OS, as in disk failure, or generally a new rig? If I then will have to pay for win10 anyway, what's the deal in not buying it right away... maybe they try to give us a demo / public beta, it's common these days to let the customer do the tester's long time work. And once the os is screwed up by driver problems, they make you pay for the sollution. :rolleyes:

8 had great potential too. Even 8.1 had potential to put some things right that happened to annoy PC users. Which still are Microsofts cash bringers... they not nearly earn that much on mobile devices as on pcs, and I'm fairly sure to claim so even though I don't know any real numbers. But hey, rather try out a new 'one os fits all' model... and bring a bloated kernel / system with support for hardware you'll never see on a pc. Where's the gain there?

Yeah... not the best of perspectives. Usually I don't foresee when to reinstall my rig, as it happens due to unexpected problems almost all of the time :D

And microsoft tells us when the products / hardware is eol... nice to know when it comes to older pcs still fit to do basic web browsing or rather second tier work, like my lga775 based htpc which still does a brilliant job, but likely won't be supported by win10. I already had troubles searching for drivers for onboard lan because it wasn't in win8.1's driver database... for an onboard realtek lan driver. I can imagine such troubles awaiting some users switching over from win7 to win10 too.

Such features could be neat, but please, only if the user wants them. I'm not interested in having my pc listen to me all the time, just like I've turned off my cell's voice command function. I can imagine that bein interesting for my htpc, but certainly I'm not sure this will bring much improvement to my everyday use of the gaming computer. So I hope the user can uninstall such features like an app too... if they give me the choice I don't mind them putting all that stuff in.

I agree to some of the points. Features that I don't want I should be able to get rid of, and to me personally, it's mostly the stuff they implement for 'user accessability' and 'improved usability'. Screw that. I learned to handle windows as it still wasn't easy or obvious to get what you wanted, these days there's so many features and shortcuts I never use because I'm equally fast the knowing way, yet less comic like and, to admit it, sometimes it takes a step more to get there. But if they let me ignore or even better, get rid of such features, I'm not complaining about them either.

17. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    It is not good to stick with old gen OS. It is not only the interface that is improved. I tried windows 10 and loved it. MS has a sureshot winner this time. Everyone will love it.

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Aslong as 10 is compatible with games I will take it. As soon as games stop working it gets shelved. ATM I'm happy windows 8.1, but there are some older games that do not work on 8.1 which sucks.

19. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    Games could be an issue with 10. Which games don't work in 8.1 for you?

20. RedruM-X

RedruM-X Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
    Nice of MS. Not that I will use the offer because I don't like upgrading. Prefer to format and start fresh with Win 10. Love Win8.1 tbh, way way better and faster then Win 7. When I used Win 7 I loved it back then because it was so much better then XP. I feel the same about Win 8.1, made Win 7 feel like XP hehe. Win 10 is going to rock.

And to that guy who said he and his team are still on 7 because of navigating difficulties... Boy... Must be a poor team tbh... I do stuff way faster and with a lot less clicks in Win8.1 then in 7. Guess the skill is not for everyone then :p