Windows 7 Aero lag

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by t1nsoldier, Jan 29, 2010.

1. t1nsoldier

t1nsoldier Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX580 sli
    Just done a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate and noticed that the opening and closing of new windows has a slight lag to them as if they are missing a frame or two in their animation sequence.
    It just doesnt feel quite as snappy or smooth as it did in Vista SP2.
    I have updated all of my drivers as you would in a fresh OS Install so I dont think the problem lies with that.
    As you can see from my specs in my sig my system should more than handle rendering aeros in Windows 7.
    Maybe I am just being picky but I do have a fine attention to detail and whilst not being a big deal I do find it kind of annoying as once your attention is drawn to it you cant help but notice it :3eyes:
    Anyone else notice this lag also ??

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I can't say I've noticed any lag at all on mine and I'm running mostly the same setup as you. Mind you I am booting off a Crucial M225 SSD so maybe the problem stems from your hard drive (or are you also using an SSD)? Could your real-time anti-virus software by causing the lag? Have you tried disabling all the non-Microsoft applications that start with Windows and seeing if that eliminates this lag?

That said, even when I was using Windows 7 on my slowish Hitachi Deskstar HDD it felt reasonably snappy and I don't recall experiencing the lag you're describing.

I'm using the latest NVIDIA 196.34 beta drivers by the way and my GTX 280 is running in 2D speeds on the desktop.

3. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    i had the same problem as u

but my solution was to "cancel" my overclock :(

4. t1nsoldier

t1nsoldier Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX580 sli
    Just noticed a huge thread on this issue here :http://social.answers.microsoft.com...e/thread/91dd2caf-eb09-40e3-ac7f-92635d23b237

In answer to your question Darren I am not running a SSD but my hard drive has very few apps on it at the moment and is kept as well as it could be with PerfectDisc 10.

Seems like quite a few people with high system specs have got this issue maybe a Driver conflict somewhere I guess.

Maybe Microsoft will address the issue heres hoping :)

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i've always turned off animations and the fading effects (in XP and also in W7) because they annoy the hell out of me when i maximize, minimize, open windows, they make me dizzy and besides disableing them makes things a lot quicker.

you might want to turn off those options too and see what happens, "press windows key + Break/Pause, Advanced Settings, under Performance click Settings, disable anything that says "Fade" and "Animate".

however i enabled all the options by setting "Adjust for best appearance" right now (just to test) and i had no lag at all. ;)

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Thanks for the tips! The fading in and out aninations have been driving me crazy for ages.

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
  8. t1nsoldier

t1nsoldier Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX580 sli
    Disabling Animate Windows when minimizing and maximizing has done the trick for me, many thanks Year :banana:

Strange that I didnt have this problem with Vista 64 bit SP2....anyways this has certainly solved it :)

9. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    It is not a lag but it is a stutter caused by the low 2d clocks. The only workaround is to ignore it or turn off windows animation.

10. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    What happens if you toggle it back on after shutting it off as per Years solution? Just for checking purposes. I wonder if windows re-sets something by the toggle. Since I don't have what you guys describe in Win7 64, I cannot recreate the circumstance. Personally, I kinda like the animation and the eye candy. I have mine set to "appearance" as well.

11. t1nsoldier

t1nsoldier Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX580 sli
    Just to confirm that toggling it back to on brings back the original lag I was having before. Guess I will stick with this solution as it does make the windows open and close much snappier. Just for reference it only happens when i open or close a new window, minimizing to taskbar and the issue is not present. Kinda weird........

12. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    That is weird. And thanks for the confirmation! :) Figured it might be worth a try.

13. CyberTronics

CyberTronics Active Member

GPU:
    4870 512mb 800/1000
    SP1 is out and MS still haven't fixed this ISSUE. Moreover, they even didn't recognize that this issue is present. I think it is because problem lays in a source code and it would take much effort to rewrite aero code, so MS thinks that it is better to pretend that there's no any issues with aero. BS!!