Windows 11 update fixes a problem that caused the PC to take up to 40 minutes to boot.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 29, 2022.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    Home and Enterprise users (and PCs) have completely different environments and tasks.

HandR likes this.
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    And yet you experience all the basic os flaws all the same.

We wont be rolling win11 out to our users any time soon, nor will i use it myself until it is absolutely necessary.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    Only basic flaws, yes. When I read list of fixes in MS updates I see mostly network (and authorization) related issues (which are nowhere near the Home users experience).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  4. FlyBy

FlyBy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti wc
    I actually encountered this delayed boot time with 2 machines, though it wasn't 40min, maybe 3-5min black screen just before switching to the logon screen.

In my case I highly assume ( as I fixed it that way ) was to not boot w/o internet connection. As soon as I booted any of the two VMware Workstation Hosts with their network set to not be online by default ( VM Firewall needs to boot before the Host is granted access via a Host_only NIC ( test environment ).

I can reproduce that any time, set the rig to boot w/o internet and it takes VERY long until you can log in. Change settings and it boots as normal, very fast tbh.
    First I thought it's a VMware issue, but deactivating the "standard" NIC is enough to get the delayed booting error in my case.

Maybe my setup, maybe a general issue.

The update is installed by W11 automatically meanwhile, you don't need to do this manually. I tried last night and it said it got already installed the day before.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Its not installed atomatically but you have to do it manually as a optional update.

[​IMG]

6. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    is there anyone in here that will actively wait 40 mins for his/her pc to boot ? AT MAX in 3 mins i will be shutting it down and attempting repairs etc and if that does not work ...reinstall

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Apparently the person who reported it. :D

Venix likes this.
  8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I've not suffered this issue (not using Win11) but had similar problems where I would do something else and see if it would return to function at some point in case there was a problem caused at my end I could take a swing at.
    I dont always need to use a PC immediately after power on and sometimes curiosity makes me try and dig a little deeper.

9. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3070
    This update kills vr performance for me (quest 2 with virtual desktop).

10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    Last time it took over 2 mins to boot was on win 7 and I assumed it was stuck, first thing I did was to pop in a windows flash drive rebuild my mbr and the problem was fixed ... Do I left it at that I did not had to dig deeper :p

11. pirlampas

pirlampas Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    40 minutes? Is that bug called "install from scratch"?

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
  13. Sara6Girls

Sara6Girls Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI FTW3 HB
    I have tried Windows 11 since its release and its updates, but the system has failed at all this morning, Mediterranean time. I have restored Windows 10 and it is full of growth and performance. **** you Windows 11 system problems

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This will either make you smile or think I'm nuts.
    I lock my system down pretty well with Comodo HIPS but it has caused a few occasional issues.

On Windows 7:
    If I dont have Vtd enabled in the bios and am downloading something, should I try and play any of the MS games (Solitaire, Minesweeper ...) the machine will lock up.
    It should perhaps ask a question whether some process/dll can be accessed but theres nothing, no question and nothing in the logs.
    What I didnt realise for years is the machine isnt locked up but in a race condition that lasts exactly 15 minutes which I only found out when in despair I stormed out of the room to make coffee and was drinking it while watching TV and noticed the PC was active again.
    Then it continued as if the problem never happened.
    I deliberately tested how long it takes to return to normal.
    Quite a relief to know I didnt have to lose what I was doing when important.

Enable Vtd it doesnt happen which suits me fine as I now use a VM anyway, which is what made me find out the peculiarity, enabling Vtd solves it.

I think it was this that made me aware its worth waiting to see if some lockups auto recover, no matter the cause.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    Venix likes this.
  15. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Their idiotic driver update checker tool didn't uninstall thoroughly for me on my notebook and caused weird system semi-freezes. Thought it was a Win 11 issue and jumped on dev build insider train, where I am now stuck due do to this mess...

16. Mokum

Mokum Member Guru

GPU:
    x9 290x
    I Might have had this problem ones or twice but I didn't wait 40 minutes. Reset/reboot and the problem was gone. Cold cheat boot takes me 4 seconds normaly. ( With the shift key if that works with windows 11) without it it's faster.

17. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Microsoft must of fixed the safe mode problem cause I redownloaded the update and now its fine. Funny thing is I never had any 40 minute boot up problem but when I redownloaded and installed the update I bet that took 40 minutes to install? It stopped at 68% for a good 20 minutes.

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Same as you get or can get with Windows 10, so can't really see the issue when your supposedly testing before letting updates go live via WSUS or what ever enterprise update manager you prefer.
    Besides that sometimes you most probably need to do rollbacks as well.

19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Not really - 20h2 is pretty much 100% fixed at this point. There is no point of using a newer version until this one doesn't recieve security updates anymore.

20. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Funny, because the same issue existed in Windows 10, all the way back to 20H2 and maybe more, fixed in KB5011831 (April 25) - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-preview-fe4ff411-d25a-4185-aabb-8bc66e9dbb6c

(The same wording is present in the Windows 11 KB5012643 article)

The issue is just very narrow in scope and wouldn't have affected most systems. The quote shown on the main page is misleading at best, pure clickbait at worst, and lacks any background information or most basic research.