Windows 11 update fixes a problem that caused the PC to take up to 40 minutes to boot.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 29, 2022.

1. hichamkh

hichamkh New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    i havenet touch windows 11 thanks god for that

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    I installed w11 on the desktop but laptop still runs w10.

3. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    How one figures out that it will boot after 40 min? I mean if it wouldnt boot for >5 min i'd disassemble it, reassemble it, chcked contacts and prolly did a fresh install.

The Reeferman and Keitosha like this.
  4. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    Yes, you are coalminer's canaries for the corporate world. They let the Home consumers find the bugs before the Enterprise customers get inconvenienced by them. This is the reason they are giving Windows 11 updates away for free.

5. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    This reminds me of the time I bought my first cd writer, it was a hp model but after I installed it the computer would take 5-10 minutes to boot, it would always get stuck and I'd have to wait for the drive to make this weird noise before windows would load. tried all kinds of things to fix it but could never get it to boot normal with the drive installed in the end I'd just use it as an excuse to make a cup of tea, usually by the time I got back up stairs it would be loaded up, dunno if I could handle 40 minutes though :eek:

6. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I'm still on Win 10 but if i didn't know about this bug and my PC hadn't booted after 5 minutes i'd start thinking there was something seriously wrong and start thinking about doing fresh installs and looking into the PC for issues.

I mean who waited 40 minutes for them to come up with that number? I certainly wouldn't wait that long.

Keitosha, Legacy-ZA and PapaJohn like this.
  7. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    40 minutes, wth!? :eek: Honestly I'm not convinced this is possible on a healthy system (without HW issues) until I see with my own eyes something like that really caused by any Windows machine where OS is crippled by some bugged Windows update. Although saw this slow OS loading issues many times on some (not mine) computers with dying HDDs full of bad and weak sectors.

Can't believe anyone has nerves of steel to wait that long for OS to boot. Hell even few of my old Asus laptops with Ivy Bridge i3 and i5 CPUs with few SSDs inside each are booting from zero to desktop in just 6 seconds, few newer laptop I use with fast NVMe SSDs boot Win10 to desktop in even less than 6 seconds, 5 maybe. I'm spoiled with SSDs and their fast OS boot time for almost a decade... Probably I could tolerate 30 seconds, maybe even minute for OS to boot and become fully operative but to wait 5, 10, 40 minutes... oh boy, there would be "dead people laying around me" for sure :D Who has time and nerves to wait that long nowadays?

Airbud likes this.
  8. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
  9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Don't worry, one year more and i will update :).

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3090 H2O
    Thank you for bringing this issue up , as i did suffer did os bug and it broke my os w11 completely i needed to do a clean install to fix it :/ . Lots of people were affected by this huge bug , my brother and myself included + lots of gurus too.

Cave Waverider likes this.

11. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Yeah. M$ a little short on time pasted some Crysis code in the mix and then pretended they got a killer app.

12. Ojref

Ojref Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    The only major issue I've noted on my workstations with Win 11 thus far has been the taskbar occasionally freezing, explorer crashing and then reloading. Seems to be a constant whether its Threadrippers or 12thGen i9s. Apparently MS is aware of the issue but doesn't have a fix as of yet.

13. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    My Win11 builds never take 40 seconds, let alone 40 minutes to boot...that's pretty funny. More like 10-15 seconds to cold boot. Must be some weird and unusual hardware that Microsoft is addressing with the patch. Never heard of a 40-minute boot--I would be certain that something was drastically wrong with my hardware if I ever experienced that. I run a desktop at home, however, but laptops are always another entirely different ball of wax, so to speak. All laptops are custom designed and require custom drivers from their manufacturers in order to run with an OS. As such, they are very problematical with beta builds of Windows 11--or any OS not fully supported by the manufacturers with the correct hardware drivers. Some laptops come with some really weird, off-the-chart hardware, and usually the way they are sold is that they guarantee support for the OS shipped with the system, but after that, it's pot luck. It's just one more reason I have never cared for laptops enough to buy one. I have no need for a portable computer, though, and only time I'd use one was if a job supplied one and demanded one.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Theres no need to now lol ;)

15. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 Ultra
    Wish MS fix the issue with installation on lower specs computers.

16. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Not quite true, at least in my case. Over all these years behind my back sailing in PC waters I've been using PC laptops (mostly for work, to continue my work wherever I am) for... probably more than 15 years, custom made desktop PCs (and highly OCed ones, not doing OC anymore) are my first/true love of course when it comes to PC, and in past lets say 10 years on all of my laptops, dozen(s) of them trough all these years, I'm probably using less than 15% of laptop manufacturer made/customized drivers... Because looking at the HW ID of all chips and whatnot inside of laptops by the time they get to my hands I already have predownladed newer drivers for these chips, controllers... directly from AMD, Intel, Realtek... compared to older drivers HP, Asus, Lenovo, Dell and others have published on their sites for that particular model of laptop. Station-Drivers and Drp.su are also good sourse for newer drivers either for some well known HW or for some exotic ones. Can't really remember last time I had issues using custom (not published by laptop manufacturer) drivers on any of my laptops, probably didn't had any issue since SP1 for Win7 got released.

But I'm always using/flashing verified by laptop manufacturer motherboard BIOS's, also their firmwares for HDDs, SSDs, touchpads...

17. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    I uninstalled this update yesterday.When I went to install new nvidia drivers I used DDU to uninstlall in safe mode and safe mode is broken.You get just a blinking screen.It works in safemode with network support but not regular safe mode.

Undying likes this.
  18. vMax1965

vMax1965 Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Gaming
    Sadly, no issues at all as I cannot join the gripe train...and probably one of the fastest boot times I have had but I am running 12th gen Intel...I probably have used pretty much all version from the MS DOS days and I am actually enjoying using it, though certainly not a power user anymore...just mix of games, media and office work.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  19. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Try to run safe mode (without networking). I wonder if it's also bugged with 12th gen Intel.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    As much as I'm satisfied with 11, I would never have it as my only OS. Dual booting with 10 is the way to go.