Windows 11 to Introduce QR Code WiFi Connectivity in Upcoming Update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Microsoft plans to update Windows 11 by introducing a feature that enables users to connect to WiFi networks through QR code scanning. This enhancement aims to simplify network connections, particularly for mobile devices like notebooks and tablets, by eliminating the need to manually input passwords.

Windows 11 to Introduce QR Code WiFi Connectivity in Upcoming Update

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    What marvellous changes in usability... instead of pressing the WPS button, or entering a few digits and letters into your device, you just scan a code.
    That's what really brings humanity forward...

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    could windows not do that already? i mean for desktop it pretty much moot but for laptops, that actual have cameras built in it would thought it had already

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Kinda cumbersome though, since laptops tend to only have a single fixed camera. So you're basically at a coffee shop taking a selfie with a QR code on your laptop - not the most graceful or practical solution than just sitting down and typing it out. Most publicly shared passwords are easy enough to type quickly (as opposed to random alphanumeric+symbol strings which you need to type slowly as to not get it wrong).

I could really only see this being useful for tablets, which are likely to have a front-facing camera. Though, if I'm using a tablet, I'd rather use Android or iOS.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Means yah this true but some times better then typing it out special if like super long password. which only time I would use it even on mobile device. And what Tablets even run Windows... short of MS surface junk. If it mobile device the last os it should be running is windows imo

schmidtbag likes this.
  6. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    For people who travel a lot this is actually useful.
    I'm amused that this hasn't been included, around a decade or more after Android.