Windows 11 is up to 15 percent slower with AMD CPUs, fixes coming in October

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    It's a scandal that a gigantic corporation is incapable of even doing basic testing before release

2. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Why do I need benchmarks to know that something is more responsive and snappier? I'm in front of this thing 10 hours a day, using the same software.
    Microsoft suite, including word and excel would stare at your for a bit before opening. Now it's almost instantaneous.
    My 32 bit drawing take-off software is right on par with no noticeable change
    On1 Photo Raw, HDR and panorama processing with multiple 50meg raw files and half gig result is definitely better in time. Once again when you use something on a continuing basis you know when things get better.

I'm also liking the way they changed the UI and menu's in things like system settings, copy paste etc.
    Multiplicity KVM isn't running any faster but working great along side my Win 10 laptop. Dragging files between computers is a bit smoother though.

Definitely a keeper and glad I did the switch.

PrMinisterGR and eGGroLLiO like this.
  3. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    There are probably still people out there running win xp still waiting for the same. :D
    Being enthusiast to me used has always been about getting the best response out of every bit of computing. Not just gaming but productive time as well.
    Watching some others talk up their 5 year old rigs with rattling hard drives is what keeps me entertained.;)

sykozis, Undying and eGGroLLiO like this.
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Not sure what the fuss is about. Its a temporary issue that will be resolved very soon. There are far more annoying things about W11 to get ones panties in a bunch than this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    That's one kind of enthusiast. There are also ones like me, who couldn't care less about joining a pissing contest but have a strong interest in different kinds of hardware and software. You don't have to have the best or push your hardware to its limits to be an enthusiast, sometimes you like the rare/quirky stuff or the antiques.
    It's similar to being a car enthusiast: some people modify the drivetrain and do an ECU tune, others like the fanciest thing on the road, while others enjoy classics kept as original as possible. All are valid.

It's more a matter that it shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. It's a regression and a strong sign of insufficient testing. Back when Ryzen first came out, hardly anybody was miffed about the poor scheduler performance, because that was to be expected when it has a wholly different approach to SMT than what Windows has ever been exposed to. They already fixed it, so the fact it's broken again doesn't instill confidence.

sykozis and Kaleid like this.
  6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Windows users testing it isn't the issue though, MS not thoroughly going over all bug reports via the feedbacks is.

Horus-Anhur likes this.
  7. marcolau

marcolau Member

GPU:
    gtx 980 4gb

It's more likely intel pays microsoft a lot of money to boycott amd. it's a old policy intel has always used , even with computer producers . it has been fined a lot of times for that . but as long as the usa government makes the shut down next time they r chaught this will go on .

8. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    MS isn't going to undermine its own product and bend over backwards for Intel to do so. Come on, I'm all for conspiracy theories (they're fun), but this one is ridiculous. It's far more likely they were aware of it and decided to fix it later so as not to miss the deadline.

HandR likes this.
  9. Timur Born

Timur Born Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    I just installed W11 and as far as I can tell from short tests AMD's CPPC is working. Are there any information what is supposedly not working with CPPC?

I suspect that process threads are too easily shifted to the slowest core, which normally only happens for background load. I also saw this happen on W10 sometimes, so maybe it got worse?! Have to do more tests for that.

PS: The Taskbar can be switched to be left-aligned for those who prefer that. I do miss some other Taskbar options.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I overall agree and don't think there's some conspiracy, but to be devil's advocate for a moment:
    All it takes is a good first impression to make or break a product. With Alder Lake coming out soon, that could be benchmarked on W11 and by "luck", MS won't have patched AMD's problem until maybe a week later. MS gets to claim it was just an early development issue, Intel gets better publicity, and AMD can't accuse of anticompetition when the fix is shortly applied later.

I don't think this is what will happen, especially since it's likely that Alder Lake will be released after this issue gets patched, but this is the kind of stuff that Intel would do to get ahead. They've done worse.

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    I do have to question what Microsoft is doing with their time, if they can't even get their scheduler to non-regressive state before launch on the very hardware they are requiring/recommending to run the thing.

12. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    The sad part is that the L3 bug has been fixed in the dev build since the split to dev and beta builds back the beginning of September.

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Yeah, but, why are we even surprised about these minor bugs with AMD?

We were told early on that W11 was a close collaboration between MS and Intel. That's the partnership deal here, no different to Nvidia and AMD game sponsorships. Their priorities would've been current Intel cpus and also the upcoming new Intel arch. It's just business, no conspiracies required.

14. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I don't see why anybody would bench on w11 for the first review of Alder Lake. Nobody is running w11 atm and it will probably take some time before more than half windows users move to it. It took like 2 years for windows 10 to surpass windows 7 and while i think windows 11 will surpass windows 10 faster i don't think it will be done before 2022. Logically i would review Alder Lake on windwos 10 with both DRR4 and DDR 5 results and then wait a few weeks for windows 11 to be mature and then would do a revisit video exploring windows 11 results.

There's a difference between an OS and a game though. An OS is an integral part of a computer and is vital for the work of many people out there. Now i think that someone working with his computer should not upgrade day 1 and should wait a few months if not a year but still if this "bug" is the result of Microsoft not giving a **** about AMD CPUs then it is wrong. If it's the result of **** happens we will work hard to solve it then fine no big deal.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    When W10 came out, Intel wasn't really doing anything new and AMD was still hanging on by a thread, so honestly the regressions there didn't make sense. With W11, it seems to have a lot of kernel-level changes and is seemingly deliberately trying to drop legacy hardware. Often, breaking compatibility like this is to allow modern tech to work with fewer obstacles. It's easier to develop and optimize something when you don't have to accommodate for 20+ years of different configurations. I'm sure Intel and MS worked together to ensure W11 would see peak performance going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if AL will perform better on W11 than W10, though, I'm not all suggesting that will be the case, at least not yet.
    So, although you're right that no honest reviewer in their right mind would only review AL on W11, if someone is already on W11 or planning to be, they would still prefer the product with better performance.
    I strongly agree, but as you probably know, a lot of people are quick to jump on the newest bandwagon without much consideration.

16. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    It's already solved so it's actually no big deal at all.

17. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    tried My HP Envy i7-4710MQ runs windows 11 Home really well i prefer it to 10 ,i have had no problems updating, I did a clean install from a USB had to do a reg edit during install but it is working well

18. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    M$'s work so it will be W11 update.

19. Timur Born

Timur Born Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    FYI: Seems like TPM can just be disabled after W11 installation. ;)

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Noticed that with the first beta a few months ago. Thought the final release would prevent that, but guess not. Which makes the whole TPM thing a joke.