Windows 10 will not make pirated copies genuine

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The best idea would be making it cheap like W8 was, the only reason i bought 8 was because it was only £25.

While upgrading everyone would be great for market share, i suppose it is a kick in the teeth for people who paid for previous versions.

2. JaySee

JaySee Member

I think most of you guys are straying off-topic. MS isn't backtracking at all, people just misunderstood. All that a free upgrade means is MS won't be checking for genuine keys for upgrade installation. After installation who knows. They may still nag to activate with a genuine key, but I doubt it. The only difference between a "real" and "fake" copy of windows is access to Microsoft support and updates. As always, non-activated copies will not get tech support or updates.

The way I see it, MS will probably not nag to activate more than once saying your copy is not genuine. Maybe they will nag a little if you try to update or call tech support. Other than that, they'll want all the Chinese users to have full access to Windows Store to hopefully make purchases or download free apps to pump up adoption numbers.

3. mcfart

mcfart Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 5970
    And that's where you're wrong.

The fake servers don't work with Diablo 3 (not past the first few levels), because the "server emulator" doesn't KNOW what packets are downloaded from the real Blizzard servers (it's just temp data). Diablo 3 constantly downloads data from upstream, and pirates can't simply emulate the server without knowing what the data is.

If MS revamped KMS to constantly download data from MS servers (required for functionality of the OS, ie put a bit of the OS on the Cloud), then pirates would at the very least have to emulate that with the correct data. It hasen't been done correctly with Diablo 3 yet. Even assuming pirates get it to work, it's a tedius process to get the server emulator up and running for D3, so if MS makes Windows more difficult to crack, then people will just say "**** it" and buy it.

In D3 with the server emulator, if someone reaches a "checkpoint" and doesn't get the correct server data, the game breaks, as it needs that data to continue with the game (imagine data that unlocks the next story quest or something).

In this digital age MS can definitly afford to amp Windows DRM. If people don't like it, they can't do **** about it, unless they want to buy a Mac or run Linux.

How many people don't have Internet in 2015, AND will have a computer running Windows 10?

As for data caps, that's an unfortunate reality of the day.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It was done for D3, if it worked for those few levels you mention, it was cracked, I don't play that game or have any interest in it, so whatever happened past that is meh, but the point is, it was cracked, whether or not the crackers bothered keeping up with it or not is neither here nor there - KMS is 100% cracked, and we are talking about pirating Windows here, not games - inventing scenarios is invalid, If MS removed online/KMS activation and replaced it with someone visiting your house every day would also work, but they don't

We are talking about how activation works today, not some dreamed up method to prove your point

MS has to cater for companies, they will not p1ss about with activation to the point it cripples companies from staying activated using the methods/servers they already use, to try and combat home users piracy methods, that would likely cost them more money than they are losing from piracy in the first place

And the difference with Windows vs D3 is you do not need an update to progress to the next level in Windows, they are not going to lock control panel until you update and pass notepad stage - Windows is 100% unlocked after install/activation

KMS servers can be a machine in an office that the clients connect to to reactivate - and because of that, fake KMS servers will always be able to stay updated too, the guys who create them have access to genuine servers, keys and activation methods in order to create the fake one in the first place, so keeping them updated would be similar to creating them in the first place - and then there is also the method of unsecured / purposely unsecured KMS servers online of which the IP / PORT is made public, the exact method that was first released to activate 8 RTM

Man made, man hackable

5. Yecnot

Yecnot Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    By the gods mate, you are literally advertising always-online DRM right there. :stewpid:

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you realize that this is gona happen one way or another? so long as every god damn thing that is tech these days is connected to internet? people need to realize this and come to terms with this.

Either way IF MS make one version of windows none of this 4 different additions for prices ranging from 100-200$ per system/key

And charge like 59$ per key i will gladly pay for ever system i ever make to have genuine "system" but when you do like 5+ system ever 2 years for family and friend 100-200$ a pop adds up. it not like MS is hurting for money bill gates like like the riches guy on the planet.

If the OS was free and came bundled with every Motherboard you bought with the key in the bios none this would be an issue neither would the upgrade rate and them have 3+ OS to keep support then again none this

Seriously for long time I thinking having the Windows Key embeded in the BIOS for that Motherboard and the OS free is the way to go. though i sure people would have issue with this too.

None of which will happen or matter.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Modern KMS cracks are even better. They use a small VM as a server, it then tunnels though a TAP (like OpenVPN) and Windows activates itself. Takes about 15 seconds on Windows 8.1. And 8.1 massively beefed up it's KMS activation compared to Vista, 7 and 8, which were pretty much the same.

As you say, people find a way. The more high profile a piece of software is the more likely it will be broken, and is there really a larger target than windows? Hell, Dragon Age's Denuvo DRM was supposed to be uncrackable, certainly more hard then Windows is. It was cracked within a month.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    no such thing as uncrackable/unhackable. there will always be someone smarter then person the created this uncrackable/unhackable software.

9. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, I am genuine myself, but I keep up with the latest and greatest activation methods, always comes in handy

IIRC, the latest verison has 3 different methods, TAP, Injection and something else I forget

But yea, the more difficult something is to crack, the more effort to crack it goes into it until it's done- it's basically to prove a point I think

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I just remembered something. If you activated a copy of Windows 7 with the Daz Loader, you should get a genuine license when you upgrade to Windows 10. For all intents and purposes, Windows 7 was truly activated with that tool. I had to use it when i ran out of activations.

Denuvo was never meant to be uncrackable. All it was meant to do was to delay the inevitable for as long as possible..

11. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Denuvo hasn't really been cracked, with DA:I the crackers just fooled Denuvo by faking an Origin client calling the game to be launched, Denuvo thought it was the real Origin client and unlocked everything

12. Dalby

Dalby Member

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon 5650
    +1 this

13. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Modifications are made to the OS with the Daz Loader (taking OEM bios licences from companies like Dell, make it work like a VL, and fool the OS at startup that you have that particular Dell bios). That method does not work in 8/8.1. If you were to upgrade the OS to Win 10 those modifications would be lost and you would no longer be genuine.
    I realize that might have been its real purpose, but that was what it was touted as, lots of money was put into that thing to make it 'uncrackable'.

@Extraordinary; that's how most cracks work, like every Steam game that is cracked.

I wonder how much money and man hours it took to get a month without a crack for that game. Did all that money and effort really make a difference? I suspect they waited until it was cracked. If those who use cracked OS' have to wait a month, they will wait a month.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  14. Hakuryuu

Hakuryuu Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr
    Piracy is simply unstoppable. It's the nature in human's bone. There are supply, because there are demand. And there is not a single product whose demand is bigger than Windows itself.
    That being said, while piracy is not justified, there is not a single thing you can do to stop it. You can only offer better services for your licensed machines, along with an affordable price tag, that's all it take. You don't have to put up orthodox craps like online-DRM. Because it will be cracked, yes, it will.
    Say whatever you want, but this copy of 8.1 Enterprise of mine, I got for like 15 bucks - the Pro version goes for half. That's the price of a cheap Steam game. And the same price of this key in one of MS's official retailer in my country goes as low as $100. Such crap is why people pirate OSes in the first place.

15. Pancake Dan

Pancake Dan New Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 3gb
    The way I see it, Microsoft is always trying to push stuff that know one wants and hope it becomes popular so they can make more money. They also try to restrict its users in various ways so it has more control over them.

That strategy has failed them so many times I lost count. I see the free upgrade thing as a new approach for them. I doubt they'll change there ways though.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Says a company that once proudly held up a pirate flag.

17. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I guess that's why SKiDROW never asked me to join their team then :D

I can remember them from way back in Amiga / Atari ST days on floppy disk

18. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    A Chinese group 3DM made the crack.
    I think you are thinking of Apple.

19. Dark Scizor

Dark Scizor Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 5870 1GB
    I was wondering... I own a Win 7 Ulti DSP license from my old PC and a Win 7 Pro license that was supposed to be DSP but turned out a Dell OEM version. Will either be eligible for an upgrade?

20. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Well how I am seeing it is that Microsoft accepts any genuine copy of windows as an upgrade.

I am kinda interested on the formalities on different PC's with genuine copies.

I would love to be able to use my legal copy of windows on my laptop to upgrade it onto my main desktop.