Windows 10 will not make pirated copies genuine

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Not arguing - making my views known: I don't understand why people pirate operating systems when they are free. Whether that's by the manufacturer bundling, or by platform, like Apple; or by free upgrade.

Laziness?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    For the reasons that have just been explained to you - Windows is not free no matter what you think

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm building a computer right now for a coworker. $500 small itx machine. $100 was for the 8.1 x64 OEM license. How am I getting that for free? Like where am I going to get a 8.1 x64 key from?

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Apple's OS is not free, you have to buy a Mac to get the OS legally.

Still not sure where you see it as free.

5. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    And some people think their wallet entitles them to everything based upon artificial institutions. Whats your point?

6. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Because pirating free things is not pirating, its just installing :bang:

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    [​IMG]

8. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    What :3

9. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Mistaking every simple sentence for deeper meaning and an open invitation to start a silly philosophical derailing of the thread.

10. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I doubt if it's even close to 99%. It may not even be a majority. I see a lot of laptop users here for example.

11. darkdrone48

darkdrone48 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1070
    just think of all the data Microsoft can collect from pirated copies that upgrade,yep a little paranoia is a healthy thing,i trust MS about as far as i can throw it,10 meters last attempt

12. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    They can do what they want, there's no way its gonna be "unpirateable".

Would be stupid to waste resources on that.

13. mcfart

mcfart Guest

GPU:
    HD 5970
    MS should go back on this - because the ONLY way for them to curb piracy is to make Win10 free - and they obviously don't wanna do that, so they're saying "we'll give you free upgrades but likely install spyware on your system in return".

Even if that's not true, people will pirate their activation to avoid that scenario.

The worst thing about this, is that someone can get a legit copy of Windows 7 from the MS website, which comes with a 30 day trial, wait for that to end, then upgrade for free to Windows 10.

MS really didn't think this through.

Instead of giving free upgrades to pirates, why not just make piracy impossible? Blizzard managed to do that with Diablo 3 by making the client constantly authenticate and have to download server data just to function.

14. Why people pirate Windows OS?
    1. They are unaware of it (PC came with pirated Windows OS).
    2. They consider OS payment equal to trowing money in the trash can, and they do not have money for trowing.
    3. They hate Microsoft (for whatever reason, competition etc.) and pirate/crack it to harm company (proven to be the wrong way of harming, in fact it's almost equal to helping the company).
    4. They never pay for anything, and take everything they can, and simply don't care (not a suggestion that someone should actually care for any company).
    5. There also could be privacy concerns (mainly for activating and other hoops).
    6. There could be $ other reasons why.

While there are alternative (and in my opinion better) Operating Systems, potential lack of software (mainly games) availability could be one of the reasons (want all, can't pay for all = pirate it).

Considering topic, Microsoft have exact information about pirated versions of Windows, pirated/cracked copies also recieve different updates (use different servers after genuine check is "passed").

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If the previous OS is not activated, they won't get a free license for Win 10

Equally I'd imagine if the previous OS is activated via KMS, they won't get a free Win 10 license either

It'll have to be a genuinely activated retail/OEM license on the previous OS for them to receive a Win 10 license

16. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    People with datacaps are outraged, people with no internet suddenly don't have a genuine copy of windows.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You can't make piracy impossible, even an online server for constant authentication would be useless, that's how KMS works and that's cracked

People can create fake servers - it's been done for games like Diablo 3 before when it first came out iirc

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I Think if MS made the cost of the OS/Key 59$ likes most software people would be more inclined to pay over pirating not that it would stop it ,but 199 $ per machine is alot money.

IF buy an OS for 199$ which what full retail pro/utilmate build cost for most part.

I want to install on my pc and any rebuild of that pc with out have deal with with them saying no cause i upgrade my pc.

Long it is used on one pc i dont see the issue. people pirate cause of pricing for one and MS charges and arm and leg. a simple deactivation before new pc uses the key simple way of avoiding this.

Then again none of it matter like been said there not been MS OS not hacked to think it genuine.

The more things change the it stays the same.

I have high hopes for windows 10 and hope they dont pull the same stuff they did with 8. and MS should charge alot less then they do for the os to entice people to actual pay for it but 199$ it alot sure you can get less feature build for less

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Where exactly did they back-track with this announcement? MS never stated that pirated copies of Win7 and 8.x would magically become legit. MS simply stated that they would allow people with pirated copies of Windows to "upgrade" to Win10, which is still true.

Well damn. And here I was so proud of myself for pirating Linux.....

20. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Anyone ever thought about the million non-genuine copies in china/india?

i also know pc-techs/shop owners that are using cracks to either make more money by charging for the os but without actually buying the cd/keys], or to be able to sell pc's at a lower price and still have a [win] OS on it.
    dont think that those customers know.

and anyone that thinks 200$ for an OS is too much [most dont need a retail version and/or ultimate anyway]:

one good cup of coffee every week, for one year, will cost you more and in the end, will leave you with "nothing".

my copy of windows will still be "here", and i can still install it in 5y, if i want to.

but i've seen it with cars:
    people complain about the cost of tires/brakes/maintenance etc. and sacrifice "quality" to save a couple of bucks, but gas is about 10 times more expensive [per mile driven]...