Windows 10: Who Needs Antivirus?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by angelgraves13, Jul 10, 2017.

1. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid
    I was recently debating renewing my Norton Security subscription since Windows 10 is pretty secure, especially with the Creator's Update.

Windows Defender does the job, and I'm finding less reasons to even consider spending money on Norton anymore. I know there's free alternatives, but they're pretty annoying, often pestering you to buy the better edition.

So, I was just wondering if you guys think that Antivirus is more or less useless with Windows 10, as it offers enough protection for the average user.

Obviously, even the best antivirus won't protect users who install everything they click on, but for people who know what they're doing, is there really a need to spend money on something that Microsoft provides for free?

The Fall Creator's Update will offer even greater protection against threats from the web, and I'll have yet another reason not to use Norton.

2. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Maha Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X Fury"X" (unlocked)
    All I’m using. I just run MBA!M once in awhile to be safe

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
    Nope, definitely no reason for anything else.

I'm sure what will follow will be people who will claim that you should pay for a separate AV as you risk armageddon if you don't, but i have saw zero evidence for this and it's mostly scaremongering that originates from the people trying to sell the software.

4. Sabbath

Sabbath Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF3 GTX670 2GB
    I only use (2) thing's my processor dep for all programs, and Zemana AntiMalware. Windows Defender is turned off and disable, windows cortana is turned off and uninstalled

5. citrixscu

citrixscu Member

GPU:
    Strix 1080 Ti OC
    This

6. warlord

warlord Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 390X MSI(1080/1500)
    Windows Security is more than enough. I respect fellow programmers who are hired for AV companies but:

SOFTWARE SECURITY CORPORATIONS SHOULD DROP OLD WAY KEY ACTIVATION ALREADY.

I format many times my devices mobile and desktop resulting into invalid keys and I lose my money.

Tries limited key activation is so 90's. AV companies should go to hell if they cannot register our hardware and insert licence into user account deatails for unlimited activation on the same device.

Long live MS. I have raged hard against Kaspersky for losing more than 60$ for nothing. They are completely noobs, drunk russians.

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Radeon RX 580
    I was a long-time AVG user, but once I discovered that Defender had AV capabilities, I stopped using AVG (plus, those ads were getting annoying). No real reason to use anything else.

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti SeaHawkX@2k+PG348Q
    Using defender for a while now, and running Malwarebytes now and then for a full scan.

My issue with all of those heavy antivirus is their load on the systems performance.

None of them are lightweight.

9. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid
    The Fall Creator's Update will also guard against Malware. Guess no need for MalwareBytes either soon.

10. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Master Guru

GPU:
    a cheap naked sub-heater
    Mbam + HitmanPro once every 6 months or when weird

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Little side note: "completely noobs" and "drunk russians" are two completely independent characteristics.

12. styckx

styckx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 FE
    I stopped using 3rd party antivirus over a year ago.. Defender is fine and intervals of runnig Malewarebytes and Adwcleaner. Ublock Orgin is a must on browsers.

Avast just becaming annoying and I couldn't tell you the last time it actually caught anything..

13. nick0323

nick0323 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 Jetstream OC
    The Fall update this year will enhance Windows Defender even further so that will be good. I still like the idea of a virtual keyboard and a secure browser which is what keeps me tied to Kaspersky. Though the sandboxed version of Edge coming will eliminate that need.

14. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    NV GTX 970 Titan Cooler
    Have not used and virus scan in 15 years but Windows Defender\MSE. Spend every day online (almost). Never had a virus.