1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 v1803 Cortana Text Visibility Issue

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Darren Hodgson, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have been using Windows 10 Pro across several builds on an i7-4770K PC that was built in 2013 but has been upgraded since, mainly graphics cards of which the current one is the GTX 1080 Ti using the latest v391.35 drivers from NVIDIA. All Windows 10 upgrades have been in-place ones rather than clean installs due to the numerous of games I have installed. I've had very few issues doing it this way and any issues that have cropped up have usually been driver-related or program/game issues that eventually got fixed.

Anyway, as an Insider I upgraded to v1803 build 17128.1 a couple of weeks ago then again to build 17133.1 a few days later when it was stated to be the release build going out to everyone from 10th April. The upgrade when smoothly and all my settings, games and apps were retained as I expected having done this before with previous Windows updates.

Games are working fine, in fact better than before since the stutter issue with G-SYNC seems to be resolved in many games and the only issue I have noticed is an odd one with Cortana. The issue is that when I click on the Cortana search bar without typing anything in then this appears:

[​IMG]

At first glance it appears OK as you can read some text but what is odd is that the three options at the bottom are very dark, almost unreadable, and there is text missing that is only visible when I mouse over it as can be seen here:

[​IMG]

Apart from that, Cortana works fine once I start typing in text as that black background becomes white (as defined by my Windows default app colour selection choice of White) as can be seen here:

[​IMG]

Has anyone else ever come across this issue? It may be a glitch with the new build of Windows v1803 or it may be a 'hiccup' as a result of the upgrade itself. It isn't a big issue as Cortana works fine for searches but it just bugs me (no pun intended!) that it doesn't look right. The text should be visible but only part of it, the bits specific to Cortana; the filenames themselves, etc, aren't unless I mouse over.

Thanks in advance.

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've ran sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth and both report no corruption or issues.

I have also tried reinstalling Cortana from the Powershell using Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMo
    de -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} which appears to work but Cortana still appears exactly the same on opening it so it appears to be working as intended, at least as far as searches go. Everything appears to be working correctly except for this issue.

3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 1080Ti
    First person iv seen who uses cortana, I generally strip it out and use classic shell search.

Jagman and radosuaf like this.
  4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well I used to be like you when I first installed Windows 10 and continued to use Start10 (previously Start8 from Windows 8/8.1).

However, over the various Windows 10 upgrades I've come to actually like the default Start menu and now use it almost entirely over Start 10, although I still have that app installed if I, say, want to rename a program folder added to the Programs menu since the Windows one does not allow it. Once done though, I switch from the Start10 menu back to the default Windows one.

Cortana is also pretty good although I only really use the search functionality to open apps and games.

5. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070
    Yep, Classic Shell lends some sanity to Windows 10.

As to your problem Darren, does it do it all the time or an occasional glitch?

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    It’s like that all the time since the upgrade. Wasn’t like that in v1709.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Are you using an MS account? I remember someone else had similar issues with other parts of the UI and it turned out to be a sync issue.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yes, I am using my MS account and I do have sync enabled. Could try turning it off then on again, I guess?

9. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070
    Worth a try. Isn't it amazing how these things get broken. One of the main reasons I don't use the built in apps (excluding occasional use of Mail and Edge on my Linx 12).

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    An update on this issue...

I tried disabling then re-enabling Sync Settings but that made no difference.

However, creating a new user account, either local or Microsoft account, does fix the issue and Cortana's Suggestion page (that is what it is called, I believe) appears correctly so whatever that cause of the issue on my PC, it seems it is a bug with either Cortana's settings or the user account settings rather than with Windows.

The annoying thing is that Microsoft don't offer any kind of troubleshooter to reset or repair Cortana yet it is one of the most integral parts of Windows! Unless someone knows how to copy the Cortana settings from one user account to another then I am at a loss as to how to repair it as copying the Registry key located at HKCU_Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Search (or thereabouts) does not work. I even tried reinstalling the app from an elevated PowerShell window for both the current and all users but that didn't work either. I can't see anywhere were the Cortana settings might be saved in the AppData (for each user) or ProgramData folders either.

I've submitted this issue to Microsoft via the Feedback tool with a suggestion that they need to create some kind of troubleshooter so Cortana can be reset easily back to its default.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    do you have SLI Darren?

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    No. Just a single GTX 1080 Ti so that is not the cause of this issue as proven by the fact that new user accounts appear fine and as they should do.

I've upgrade to build 17134.1 but the issue persists unfortunately. It's no big deal, I guess, as Cortana works fine otherwise and the suggestions and links all work to even if I can only see the text if I mouse over them.

Looks like something in my main user profile is corrupt and causing the issue I am seeing on Cortana's suggestion page (and only that page since the search window works fine). However, I cannot work out where the settings are stored or anyway to repair/check a profile for corruption. Even Microsoft do not offer a built-in troubleshooter for Cortana which is staggering when you think how important it is to Windows (for most people it will be the primary way to search for stuff on their PCs and launch apps etc).

One suggested fix is to create a new user profile and copy the AppData settngs from my main account to the new one. I'm reluctant to that though as I suspect it will break game and programs installs which refer to my account via the registry. Besides copying one to another could just reintroduce the bug on the new profile.

I suspect this would be a simple issue to fix if you know what it is you are supposed to be fixing. I've Googled long and hard for Cortana and Start menu fixes but have been unable to resolve the issue. May have to just leave it. This issue may have been there across a couple of Windows 10 upgrades and I've just never noticed it.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    It appeared that my original account had become corrupted leading to this text issue with Cortana's Suggestion page. I was unable to repair it, Microsoft do not do any kind of troubleshooter for this, so I decided instead to copy my data to a new profile.

I used a newly created local account (converted back to a Microsoft account) and from a third hidden administrator account copied the contents of my original User folder, minus the NTUser files, to this new account which had a 100% working Cortana. So far so good and I was able to restore my Windows Live Mail account and all my emails too. Apart from some weird permissions issues with PES 2018 complaining it couldn't write to the save folder on my I drive (even TakeOwnership didn't fix it until I manually edited the security permissions), everything so far has been good.

The Microsoft Store is still being an ass though; it took 2 days to redownload Forza Horizon 3 to my C drive, which should have been 55 GB but it refused to install. Instead it would either error out, get stuck during the install process or continue downloading more and more, eventually reaching almost 70 GB before I cancelled it! Why do Microsoft continue with this abomination? I never have these kind of issues downloading games on Steam, Battle.net, Origin or Uplay. The downloads typically fail either near the end or at the point where they should install. Small apps are fine but anything over 25+ GB is a pain, feeling like it comes down to sheer blind luck as to whether it'll install or not. Absolutely refuse to buy any PC games from the Store until Microsoft fix this. It doesn't help that the Store is buried beneath layers of encryption, hidden folders and weird security permissions. Good job no-one else is as bad as this otherwise digital downloads would never have taken off!!!

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Upgrade <<< There's your problem, when has Windows ever been bug free after an upgrade? Always clean install, or at least when you have weird bugs after an upgrade, clean install as 1st troubleshooting method

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    My Windows install dates back to June 2013 when I built my current PC and installed Windows 8 on it. Since then, I have only upgraded Windows and, to be honest, have had very few issues doing this. My PC is stable and games, bar driver issues and bugs, work as they should.

Clearly, my 2013 profile has corrupted in some way resulting in this mildly annoying (because I know it is there) but hardly Windows-breaking issue. I couldn't even say when this issue occurred as it may have been there for a while but I have just never noticed it. Most people would probably just put up with it since Cortana otherwise works as it should once you actually start typing something in. Personally, I do not think minor things like this are worth the hassle of doing a clean install, especially as I have literally hundreds of games installed across five hard drive totally 11 TB for Steam, Origin, Battle.net and Uplay as well as lots of other apps, older games installed from DVDs and so on.

I will do a clean Windows 10 install eventually, likely when I build a new PC which may be next year or the next after that. At that point, I suspect I will have uninstalled many of my older games and Steam/Uplay/Origin etc are all designed to automatically detect pre-installed games on the hard drive once you sign into your accounts and tell them where the games are located. I should also have a faster fibre optic internet connection in the next 2 to 3 months which should mean downloading games from the utterly abysmal (in my experience) Microsoft Store should be quicker and less of a hassle than it is currently, where a 55 GB can stall or break just as it has finished, resulting in my having to redownload it again (an issue that NEVER happens with Steam, Origin, Battle.net or Uplay, I might add!).

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    This is why you are constantly posting threads with new problems, it's not a Windows fault, no-one in their right mind uses Windows that has had nothing but upgrades since 2013, even MS themselves would call you crazy if you called up their tech support and asked them why you were having problems after upgrading the same OS for 5 years without a clean install, and their first advice would be clean install

Do everyone a favour and clean install, 5 years of upgrades only is ridiculous, and to post threads asking why things are broken knowing exactly why they are broken is also ridiculous, upgrades have always, and still today suck a$$

Carfax and norton like this.
  17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I agree. A clean install should fix all of these problems, and probably a lot of his game stability and performance issues as well. Upgrades are O.K if the changes between the versions isn't massive. But to go from Windows 8 to Windows 10, and from the launch release of Windows 10 in 2015 to Windows 10 1803 without doing a single clean install is just asking for it.

Extraordinary likes this.
  18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I have to agree as well.. When I upgraded to Win8.1 to win10 it was a disaster, nothing but issues, small ones, but enough to break the experience. (Had to do a clean install)

Then When I upgraded from Win10 to TH1 and TH2, its still the same crap happening. (Another clean install)

Then when I upgraded from TH2 to RS1 it was a little better, but I was facing some registry issues and start menu. I ignored them until RS2, so by RS1 or was it RS2 to RS3 (another clean install)..

After that I didn't do it anymore and its ok since then..

Extraordinary likes this.
  19. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    My desktop upgraded from Win XP > Vista > Win 7 > Win 8 > Win 8.1 > Win 10 with very little issues. (a couple of times a driver needed to be reinstalled) The install finally kaput when I had a harddrive fail.

20. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Well to be fair, I can understand why Darren is reluctant to do a clean install. If I recall, his internet connection is really slow, so doing a clean install will mean days of having to re-download all of his games, updates etcetera.