Windows 10 UWP protection may have been cracked, Zoo Tycoon Ultimate AC had five layers of DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Only 5 layers? n00bs.

i would have put in atleast 9 layers

Silva likes this.
  3. Reqruiz

Reqruiz Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    This is crazy. Soon we gonna need whole discrete DPU (DRM Processing Unit) to handle all of these layers.

HonoredShadow, Silva and Kaarme like this.
  4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Good thing Intel moved to 6 cores mainstream as well. Soon 2 cores will be spent 100% purely to keep the DRM running, while the 4 remaining cores can be used by the game itself. With my 4 cores CPU I'd probably be limited to 1080p 30Hz with occasional stutters after the DRM has taken its obligatory share of resources.

HonoredShadow and Silva like this.

5. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    Congrats to the crackers for cracking all these complex DRMs. In recent days these DRM implementations been eating too much CPU resources unnecessarily. Game developers must realize that no matter how complex DRMs are built up on it will be cracked sooner or later. Game developers should think other ways to protect their products from piracy.

6. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Just makes me think of a 9 layer cheese cake

Brasky likes this.
  7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Geez, just give it up, it's gonna get cracked anyway, the DRM filesize is gonna be bigger than the game soon

8. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Just how much peformance impact can such complicated protection system have?

Silva likes this.
  9. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Is there a link to down load it? :cool: I wanna see if its worth it.............

10. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Nothing on the usual channels yet ;)

11. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    This happens when you applying US prices all around the world. Steam is 2-3 times cheaper than Windows Store. But even Steam became very expensive in developing countries in past few years rising prices more than in twice. With Steam only rich can afford games. With Windows Store you have to be millionaire to buy games in developing countries. So no wonder torrents are coming back. MS can only blame themselves.

HK-1 likes this.
  12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Good. frack all publishers who layer on so many forms of DRM. It's like the previous decade's non sense on repeat. I despise Ubi but MS must not want to be left behind.

13. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Remember kids, the more layers of DRM, the better the game is.

14. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Yeah, like not releasing crap games. Just look at EA.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    50 Layers of DRM =]

16. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I agree a game should have some form of protection, at least to delay the cracking for a few days.
    I don't agree you should spend more on DRM than on the game itself. Make compelling games that people need to buy, not protect them so people have to buy if they want to play.

17. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    So, I spend 98% of my gaming in Racing Sims. Have since 1997. I've off and on tried to enjoy a shooter, even back in the MOHAA days. Well, recently I bought Battlefield 1 (EA) because when DICE made the original Desert Combat Mod of BF1942 back in the day, it was stellar. Well, BF! looks stunning and the gameplay itself is very well done. But the hackers, omg, the hackers. Aimbots, but really the worse is the ESP hacks that allow a player to see ALL enemies on the map at all times. From what I hear, all FPS's suffer this hacker disease. And, the chat on these servers, my God. No wonder people think Americans are morons. You rarely see this stupidity in Assetto Corsa, iRacing, rFactror2, Project Cars 2 lobbies. And, cheating is extremely rare in Simulators.

Origin bans around 250ppl a day, but that just scratches the surface. These companies are pitting customers against purchasing headwinds (DRM, Hackers ruining the online experience). It's not smart. Take that DRM budget money and put it towards multiplayer security.

lucidus and xIcarus like this.
  18. Fur4x

Fur4x Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC SLI
    DRM is a good thing and it is actually protecting the PC gaming industry.

Not so long ago piracy got so bad on pc, the market completly shifted to consoles. NO MORE GAMES RELEASED ON PC. Why ? Not enought money to be made. And it was pissing me off. Right now if you are not carefull history is gona repeat itself. Also, do you prefer hypothetically losing performance with DRM or no longer having games released? Choice is easy to make.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  19. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    jajaja i love this drm cracking news, come on.... 5 layer of drm.. wtf?

20. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    No, it's not a good thing. Someone who does not have 60 euros to buy a game, will not buy the game, have the game DRM or not.
    The best policy to combat piracy is LOW PRICE. Fact.

Venix, airbud7, lucidus and 1 other person like this.