Windows 10 UWP protection may have been cracked, Zoo Tycoon Ultimate AC had five layers of DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 16, 2018.

1. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    You just based your anti video game piracy argument on music piracy facts. Do you understand the phenomena behind streaming services like youtube or spotify, and behind digital purchasing platforms for music? The music industry has seen a huge shift in the way it monetizes its products, making your comparison shoddy at best.
    Read this: https://ids.uni.edu/loudsoundlogic/how-do-artists-make-money-on-spotify-soundcloud/
    As everyone here knows, games are largely monetized through hard sales - something which is absolutely NOT true when it comes to music.

I can't even begin to describe what a fallacious argument that was.

If these companies have so many hard facts and statistics about how piracy adversely affects sales (and how heavy DRM helps alleviate the lost sales) then why aren't they sharing them with everyone? Why don't they prove once and for all what a big bad thing piracy is, so that companies like CDPR can take note and implement DRM as well? You're actually assuming that the upper management in these companies is competent, which is a very gullible thing to believe.

See Apple as an example of piss poor upper management. If you think Apple is successful in 2018 because of the great decisions they've made in the past years you're very gullible. Apple is successful because it has a loyal fanbase that tends to gouge up any crap they throw out.
    EA on the other hand has a lot of titles which people love. You see, it's not so different, people buy the games out of loyalty and love with regards to the title. If EA started out today, without the titles and with the same business practices they wouldn't last a year.

Also, those studies you discredit are based on official sales figures, which have absolutely failed to find a notable causal link between DRM and higher sales. There's no way you can argue against that without hard counter-facts, which you failed to deliver.

In conclusion, you have presented nothing of worth in terms of arguments. That 'truth' you're speaking about is your own skewed interpretation of piracy, resulted from what the media and big corporations have spoon fed you. It's your fault for believing them without actually informing yourself.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    HandR likes this.
  2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    The old ways are best. Go back to code wheels or paper manuals with page/paragraph keys. Let the hackers dare to defeat Enigma: :p

[​IMG]

WalterDasTrevas and xIcarus like this.
  3. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    Oh my, didn't this wake up some old memories. We used to have these kinds of disks containing conjugations when I was learning French.

4. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    And let's not forget most important thingy ; gaming . While in my youth when i was with out PC i listened music a lot , since buying PC my focus shifted from music to PC gaming in that volume that today i don't even know what is popular or what groups even exist, i don't even remember when it was last time that i listened music of any kind

shymi likes this.

5. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    Witcher 2 and 3 sold really well with out any drm... just saying

airbud7 likes this.
  6. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Bam! ...+1^ ....well said and simple....just saying :D

Venix likes this.
  7. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I remember when the most pirated games were also the most popular and that was bragging rights for game developers.

Long live Activision/ Infinity Ward

if DRM were removed from all games poor people would be happy!....

nothing beats a smile on a young one's face but when the game cost a month salary in some countries?

just saying

PS: as i typed that^ a cop ticket my car for over parking (first world problems)....Grrrrr

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Venix likes this.
  8. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Prediction just by a single year? And why taking 1999 for prediction? Why not to take 1997? If so then actual sales goes very well by prediction.

Early 2010's on the game market actually showed quite opposite. It was the time, when games were relatively about twice as expensive in developing countries than in developed countries, unlike 4-6 times more expensive now. It was the time when gaming torrents nearly died out. There were little cracked releases. Once prices skyrocketed 2-3 times up again few years ago, here we have another reincarnation of releases and torrents. And all major protection were quickly cracked.

9. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    The "new" protections are somewhat useless and only block legitimate users. Pirates always find a way to bypass a protection like shown (again) today. It is sad to see companies only seem to focus on protection instead of story or gameplay. Oh yeah, forgot the focus on graphics ... even if it's a sh!tty game, make it visually appealing and the story does not mind anymore. Who cares about the story anyway? I heard there is an app for that ... (Caution! May contain sarcasm! Go ask a doctor if that is good for you!)

I miss the times where games had story. Shitty graphics, but brilliant story. Police Quest, Ethernam, Willy Beamish, Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, Lemmings, A-Train, Sim City, SimCopter, Wing Commander, Elite, Xenon I and II, Bio Menace, Helloween Harry, the whole "real" Leisure Suit Larry series (1 to 5), Zak McKraken, Simon the sorcerer, Monkey Island 1 and 2, Command and Conquer ... OH GOD I MISS THOSE TIMES!

Somehow they got "always use protection" wrong?!

10. bulldog75

bulldog75 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070
    Good,Hopefully Forza 7 is incoming then.
    After all Horizon was beaten/cracked.

11. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    Oh...I did not know that. This way maybe I can finally play game I own. I mean forza3. Cannot install that game from some time now since shotty msshop broke on my pc.

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    People are probably going to chastise me for saying this...But DRM I don't mind so much. What I do mind are the crazy requirements that most DRM pushes. If it could be even just a single time where it has to connect to a network once to play, that'd be okay in my book. Instead, stay connected, we're gonna run a VM basically on your machine too, it's gonna use about 25% of your resources, oh we're also going to get your computer information and your information, heck we'll even take note of your passwords!

I dislike that very much.

lucidus and warlord like this.
  13. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    They do as much as they can to protect their products or services. But who is gonna protect customers from their spywarelike or even malwarelike tactics against us for the sake of their legitimacy? Perhaps people should demand anti-drm laws sooner or later.

14. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Just because you use words from a junior college intro to logic class, that doesn’t make your argument any better. You end up just sounding like the comic book guy from the Simpson’s. ( can’t wait to hear you say ad hominem, poisoning the well etc...) In short, no one is impressed, talk normal.

They are companies that are beholden to shareholders they are not the morality police. They don’t share sales data, because it makes no business sense to do so. This is true in almost all businesses not just gaming. They also don’t implement DRM as punishment that’s almost laughable to think to be honest. They implement it because piracy effects sales, period. The music example is pertinent as an example btw and you’d be hard pressed to find a better example of sales effected once it becomes easy to pirate. People will take free over paying any day, the few white knights aside.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TheDeeGee likes this.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Is it any different than what I already own? What is changed?

*edit*

Never mind I read the change log on the link you posted xD

It seems the difference is it needs Windows 10 to play.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018