1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 UWP protection may have been cracked, Zoo Tycoon Ultimate AC had five layers of DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 16, 2018.

1. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    Really now? And you actually think people started buying games because of DRM? Not because most of us used-to-be-young gamers matured and started purchasing games because we can now afford them and actually respect the developers and their hard work? Not because we saw what happens when we abuse piracy?
    DRM did absolutely nothing but garner the hatred of gamers everywhere, pal. This DRM shitshow has merely been going on for a few years, long after PC was back on track with regards to game sales.

And like the person above me said, one who does not have money for your game WILL NOT BUY YOUR GAME ANYWAY.

Most game developers don't give 2 shits about whether you like the game, what they care about is your money. That's why there are no more free trials, no more demos. They are scared of people pirating their games in order to demo them, and because of this they resort to DRM. Open your eyes.

drone69, Keitosha, Fox2232 and 2 others like this.
  2. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB ❤ 144hz
    I still can't understand why they feel it necessary to add a handful of layers of protection and if the game is any good it will sell itself.

3. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    You guys have it all wrong. The game is the protection against the DRM.

xIcarus and Clawedge like this.
  4. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    100% Exactly

5. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    If you are talking about Windows store, using cppwinrt you can avoid most of the windows runtime overhead (compared to C++\Cx and .Net languages).
    The first 3 should be pretty easy to bypass, the windows SDK and cppwinrt should be enough. Not sure about XLive and Arxan (this last is a 3rd party library..).

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Somebody needs to develop these DRM solutions. It means people are paid for it continuously and they probably also want to make profit out of it. That increases the price of the game for no benefit of the customer whatsoever. Let me ask you: Would you rather have a larger game to play or a DRM component in it? The DRM brings me no joy but a larger game would. Alternatively the developer can of course drop some part of the game away from the basic packet and sell it as a DLC, to fund the DRM system. Hooray!

7. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    ECS GT430
    I really don't understand the reasoning behind Microsoft's actions lately. It feels like every single step they take is a mistake, or maybe I'm just seeing the bad news but there are a lot of them.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    >>
    I am surpised that hasnt been tried yet, at this point I rather have a "DPU" deal with all this DRM crap they keep stacking, then my CPU

NO DRM should be using more then 1% to do it job, and none of them have done there job anyway they all been cracked and recently they are just eating up way to much cpu usage instead of the game have those resources.

I said it before and I will say it again this DRM crap needs to stop not even stacking DRM works, in the end it is crack and, if they make game worth damn they will get sales if they make trash they wont, either way it gona be pirated the customer is one that pays the price for all these DRM and one that tend to be first to complain about DRM is hammpering game performance, cause the ones that pirated it dont care cause it already been cracked removed etc etc

This DRM crap is anothe reason why alot PC game i have, have not been installed yet, like DX:MD i waiting for them to remove denuvo crap, i still have nightmare from remove the DRM crap from my pc back in 90's some which where pain other that crippled optical drives speeds.

9. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X

Lets be honest here, if the games were easy to get free, the majority of people that would normally buy them would take them for free. The music industry proved this:

[​IMG]

So yeah, I am sure that you would have some white knights who would pay anyway, the majority would not. You will also have the occasional game that gamers will get behind because of them being marketed as the "good guy who doesn't use DRM" aka CDProject Red. But on the whole most games wouold get pirated to death.

Don't kid yourself with "studies" that say otherwise, those studies do not rely on hard data from sales, because "surprise!" they do not have the hard sales data, companies generally do not expose hard data. The companies on the other hand do have the hard sales data and guess what?

Companies also do not care about morals, they care about their bottom line period. They dont care about punishing thieves, only about maximizing sales. They would not pay to implement DRM just to keep you from stealing their games if they did not have hard sales data to back up the fact that it does indeed end up making them way more money because more people buy instead of steal that way. If you were a company and you were like I hate theives, they dont cost us any money, but we should pay money and have bad press to implement DRM just to punish them, you would be the worlds dumbest company...NO they implement DRM to increase sales period.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is the truth.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I would love to see that chart but about the introduction of legal digital music sales and also the existence of youtube.

xIcarus, shymi and airbud7 like this.

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I don't pirate so it's existence doesn't affect me. However, I too want to know whether there's any performance improvement.

12. IchimA

IchimA Master Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    @xIcarus Totally agree with you ! I for one have pirated ! When I was a little kid and only had 10 euro for two weeks ! But after jobs and jobs right now , even thou I purchase only 2 - 3 games per year . It's with my money !

Also , it will help a lot if the prices were lower and no more stupid DLC ( for 30 euro ) . A game should be released as FULL GAME , why pay 10 euro for a skin or a map

13. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    i was actually joking

airbud7 likes this.
  14. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
  15. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    5 layers. Not enough. 6 is the magic number

noobs!

airbud7 likes this.

16. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    It would be enough for the studios to try to lower AAA gaming prices by half or one-third, and they would sell MILLIONS.
    Your absolute truth in defending corporations bad policies does not convince me.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Octopuss, lucidus and TheDeeGee like this.
  17. dunadan101

dunadan101 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    So many layers, it can cut through tanks.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Five and Six layer Cakes are lies.

Proper cake needs 13 layers. Except on Fridays, then you need 14.

xIcarus and StewieTech like this.
  19. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    no, no NOOOO....

the magic number is 69!

So it can go f**c itself!

20. shymi

shymi Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus R9 280
    And introduction of legal streaming services like Spotify - I can’t be bothered to buy a whole album, because of crappy audio setup at the moment(will start changing this next year, when I move to a place I own) and doubt, that the majority of people give a flying f*** for sound quality...