Windows 10 Users Targeted with Persistent Upgrade Prompts to Windows 11

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 8, 2024.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    That's not true, because AMD (and Intel, for that matter) do most of the work for their open-source drivers, because they have to. Granted, AMD doesn't contribute much toward RADV (which is the better of the two AMD Vulkan drivers as far as I'm concerned), and you also have companies like Valve and Red Hat making contributions, but GPUs are far too complex to be put in the hands of just community members to maintain, let alone append whenever new products come out. After all, we like to rag on Intel for their crappy Arc drivers but I think many of us forget how tremendous of an undertaking it was for Intel to make such a product. The Nouveau project is exceptional for something maintained by volunteers, but they had to depend on the work of other Mesa developers while reverse-engineering Nvidia's drivers. The driver has really awful performance, even when equipped with Nvidia's closed firmware.
    The Adreno drivers are also impressive, but, that's based on TeraScale2, so I'm guessing the devs didn't really have much to do there.

Perhaps if Nvidia just gave all the source code and documentation to then say "you're on your own", the drivers might get some decent polish, likely some new features, and perhaps things like CUDA could finally be ported to other platforms. But, the longer we go without their support, the harder it is for newer products to remain usable.

CPC_RedDawn and HandR like this.
  2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I never said community or individuals. I meant the wider developer, business, corporate areas such as red hat, valve, kronos, etc. Without their help the AMD drivers wouldn't be anywhere close to what they are with just AMD doing it all themselves. Valve especially since they have gone out of their way to develop proton and now are even using AMD hardware in their latest devices.

The thing is AMD had to do this due to lack of budget and manpower. Nvidia could do it themselves, they have the man power and the budget. But like others have said the 2% marketshare is nothing to them. Opening it up to wider developers would be the better option.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    That's true, but even then, I'm not sure how much these other companies would/could help. Valve put in so much effort because they made a custom chip with AMD; something Nvidia likely wouldn't have bothered to do. Red Hat's involvement was primarily focused on RADV, where at the time it was first started, there was no open-source Vulkan driver on a GPU capable of some real heavy lifting; Nvidia already has a Vulkan driver, so if they open-sourced everything, I don't think RH would be doing anything with it (other than add some extensions where necessary). Google pitched in a little back when they were working on Stadia, again, out of necessity for their own plans.
    You're right that AMD lacked the manpower and Nvidia didn't. As such, I don't think Nvidia really has an incentive to open-source. To do so means they lose a lot of control over their customers' products, and potentially expose some secrets. They also get to do things the way they want to, which isn't necessarily how the community wants it (hence your point about Wayland). Meanwhile, there's all the legal fees of trying to open-source everything. So, I think Nvidia deems it more profitable in the end to keep it closed.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    10 already has a slew of stability issues that just aren't going to be fixed ever, what did you have issue ith in 11 that you couldn't fix with shell mods?

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    For me the thing wrong with 11 is just the overall layout of things being nonsensical, and as you say.. having to use third party software to even put back normal functionality present in previous versions of windows.

Currently I'm quite happy with 10, it does exactly as is needed.

Hopefully whatever comes after 11 is better.

Brasky likes this.
  6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well the uptakes not very good, so its expected, they are even pushing out broken updates onto us.

7. dtoxic

dtoxic New Member

That's why it has **** we will see...who knows.