Windows 10 Users Targeted with Persistent Upgrade Prompts to Windows 11

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 8, 2024.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    So, people will complain, bicker and will continue to use Windows like nothing happened?
    One thing is the use of said OS for work, whereas in one's private life and computing, apart from some particular cases, Windows could be easily replaced.

2. Circuit_Breakers

Circuit_Breakers New Member

GPU:
    Matrox C680
    it's just insane thinking how many machines have the capabilities to run Win 11 and how many user want to update but MS say no "because reasons", instead they prompt those that don't want.

I'm really curios about some statistic on how many Win 11 incompatibile machine actually run everyday with Win 11, I suppose that MS has that data...

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Good for you, but i need a PnP system, especially since i play a lot of retro games as well.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Most retro games play through emulators, which tend to be open source, which work rather effortlessly on just about every OS. The games that are statistically most likely to not "just work" in Linux are:
    Fresh releases (as in, still at its original MSRP) of AAA titles
    Titles with strict/obnoxious DRM implementations
    Online multiplayer with aggressive anti-cheat

Otherwise, it's getting pretty good.

HandR likes this.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Even if I want Win 11 which i dont cause UI changes... which they couldnt even complete on win 10. I would not be able to even if I put TPM on, cause my cpu isnt supported.

And if "leak" of 12 UI true I dont want that either. The mobile UI crap need to end on PC, so much wasted space/padding/etc, my current system when I retired it with new build will be moved over to linux

Leave UI alow or atlest give people the choice to use which look for the Starmenu/Bar they want

I will be forced on to new windows with a new builds simple cause I dont want go threw even more hoops to run my pc games via Linux and emulation.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Linux has got SOOOOO much better in the past 2-3 years and now Valve have doubled down on their proton API conversion tool the setup is more or less seemless.

I used PopOS and Mint in the past but have moved over to Fedora 39 last month in a double boot with Win11 for multiplayer games that require an anticheat.

There are still niggles with some games but a lot of the time I actually get better performance on Linux even on Nvidia which is notriously bad compared to an AMD GPU.

Nvidia will be completely fooked soon though as most distros are moving to the new Wayland and leaving behind X11 and Nvidia's drivers are nowhere near ready yet.

If Microsoft keep going down the route they are going I can see a specific Linux distro gaining massive ground. That will be upto Valve if they ever want to release their own distro for desktops. I don't see any other distro being capable of pulling this off.

HandR and tsunami231 like this.
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    MS could avoid alot this if simple stop fracking UI and make worse, some people like change most do not cause not "simple" as it was.

my peave is is looke like MOBILE UI... I dont like IOS/andriod UI for the mobile devices as i used them both, but they work for mobile device , On other had Mobile UI design does not work on pc or look imo

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I agree they are not the only ones though some linux distros have also moved towards newer more modern UIs. Just check the gnome launcher its a mix between iOS and Android.

That being said you can always remove this stuff and just use something like KDE plasma which is more like a classic windows UI.

You can also mod windows 11 to look like anything you want too. But its a lot more hassle then even on linux where its generally just a simple command in the terminal and youre done.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am aware sadly I have zero interested in "mod" windows to look like win7/10, One thing I learned from Win 10 is to stop "tweaking" it littlest of thing seem to break, never minds the updates, I will never understand why we cant just have choice but hey MS they know what we want and like:rolleyes:

it is what it is, my current pc when I do a new build we be converted to Linux and I will use it to slowly learn, i dabbled with it on old laptop but for ever day use it fine but if i want to game that another story. that laptop was just to slow even with linux build i was using being 5 x faster then windows 10

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  10. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Just call me lucky but I get no persistent upgrade prompts what so ever for my W10 media centre.
    How so? Well, coz' its a Athlon 200GE! :D
    Yeah Boy, with Cat treats on top.

11. stryfe2010

stryfe2010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3060 12GB
    You can still install Win 11. All you do is run setup through a command prompt with (drive letter you have iso mounted to)
    :\setup.exe /Product Server

This is how I installed Win 11 Pro upgrade on my I7-7700 pc

XP-200 and GoldenTiger like this.
  12. Jcegeland

Jcegeland Member

GPU:
    2060 RTX 6GB
    Windows 11 can run on my old Core 2 Duo E8500 from 2008 with 2Gb of DDR2 ram. The limits Microsoft have put on this OS is artificial and could easily been removed if they wanted to, and it`s a hindrance for people and companies that can`t or won`t to upgrade their hardware. Furthermore does microsoft claim that they are caring about the envirorment, but that claim falls flat on their face when one have to make more e-waste in the form of throwing out the old and buying new hardware. Tip to Microsoft. Make newer versions of windows run on a potato with the absolute minimum system reqirements, make the basic install scaleable and unbloated(Back in the Win95 days you could choose what to install under installation setup), Make the OS more switchable when it comes to the what`s loaded into the background and so on.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
    Alessio1989 and Arinoki like this.
  13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    What i will do is just run my pc until either something fails or W10 support comes to a end, whatevee comes first, then just buy a pre-built one with W11 installed.

But thanks for the advice. ;)

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    most of windows revenues are so far by:
    oem license agreements
    vl enterprise licenses
    your data

forcing you to buy a new system for useless stuff like tpm 2.0 (that you can disabled it without hurting real os functionalities) are to bump the first 2
    copilot is to bump the third

basically microsoft never cared much about people assembling their own system, as well they never cared to fix windows activation loopholes (in fact microsoft support centre will use such loopholes to fix consumer activation issues calls).

tsunami231 likes this.
  15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    While Nvidia is a poor choice for Linux users, they do appear to be aware of their situation. For one thing, they are getting better Wayland support, despite Nvidia's resistance to adopt it, but Nvidia has also started to put some effort toward open-sourcing. This has tremendously helped out the nouveau project.
    In any case, the Linux gaming marketshare is still below 2%. I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia is having a hard time justifying the expense of maintaining their Windows drivers at this point, now that their workstation and server hardware is their greatest source of profit. So, I figure their only efforts for Linux is really just those markets. Until those markets demand Wayland or better framebuffer performance (which currently they don't), Nvidia is going to keep doing what they've been doing.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    MS never cared about loop holes, that why there is so many win 10 systems that now "legit" when win7 keys where not.

These days it all about DATA they can get from people which worth a whole lot more, you know how most "smart" phones been doing for 2 decades now and now everything is "smart" and mining everyone for there data.

which why i never understood why people have problem with MS doing it when all the other "smart" device have been doing for alot less time

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    open sourcing the driver like AMD has would mean they wouldnt need to maintain it themselves.

18. DavidMorrison123

DavidMorrison123 New Member

GPU:
    gt1030
    i have win 10 and 11 dual boot on 2022 computer, had a popup in 10 about the upgrade but just have to click say on windows 10 link and it should not bothered again, should not be a big deal for now. windows 7 had the same thing it took up the whole screen saying this is the end , lol

Airbud likes this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    either way i remember them get real ballzy with some there win7 to 10 ads i will galdly move over to it if they fix UI BS

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I installed 11 yesterday to see if it's usable yet, learned about ExplorerPatcher which fixed a lot of the issues 11 has.

Ended up going back to 10 though, 11 really is just tripe.

Thank goodness for Macrium Reflect.

Airbud likes this.