1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 Update 1903 will reserve 7GB of your disk space

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    And if you don't have 7GB open?

2. Turanis

Turanis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Failed to download & install.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Pretty sure ("pretty sure") Microsoft will factor in the additional 7 - 8 GB requirement during install of 1903 (Thought it was April, so March then for release?) but who knows. Current insider build is still dragging those known issues with it that are going to need some fixing pretty soon before they start finalizing and prepping for release too.

EDIT: Yeah that could happen too.

4. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Another poor attempt at fixing their broken mess (should at least have left us the option to opt-out), but I don't think anyone will skip 1903 simply because of that, but more for concerns of "new" broken features.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Trio
    Not a problem here either since Windows sits alone on a 250GB SSD. I wouldn't even notice the space being used.

6. nick0323

nick0323 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 Jetstream OC
    I don't see an issue with this. If it helps Windows to run better then I'm all for it. Also we're in 2019 y'all, 7GB is nothing given how cheap SSD's and HDD's are.

Run a Disc Cleanup as Administrator and check Windows Update Cleanup.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  7. Mateja

Mateja Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    tl;dr ~ skip to the elevated command prompt code to reclaim a similar portion of hard drive space taken up by hiberfile.sys (mine took up 6.2 gb even though hibernation was disabled!!).

'reserved storage' is already on 18312, I've read about it in the patch notes. system & reserved > reserved storage 7.02 gb … yep, it's already active here. sad for my tiny 250 gb ssd already divided into two partitions for windows 7 and 10 dual boot.

as much as I ...HATE... operating system making extra partitions, I don't really mind this as long as things run better in windows 10. startup BSoDs and GSoDS and black screens and games that struggle to run in fullscreen is unacceptable 1990s nonsense probably made worse by telemetry and side channel execution mitigation and DRM and god knows what else... if this makes all the glitches better, then fine... (and no I don't need to fresh install I've done that every other fork). I will say that 18312 seems pretty smooth/stable so far.

and yes, I know i'm cheap. that's why I have a 2 terabyte external hard drive. still can be a chore to manage a half a 250gb partition though.

although I just noticed that hibernation is active and taking 6 gb might disable that since I don't use it at all. nice way to reclaim desperately needed space. maybe also set your paging file back to default. I've never needed it beyond the default ~2.5gb for anything even though certain modern games and emulators recommend setting it to 10-15gb and beyond.

*update* just reclaimed my hiberfile.sys space of 6.2 gb. for those who don't remember;

open cmd.exe as admin (type cmd in search > right click > run as admin) and paste this:
    powercfg.exe -h off

instantly reclaimed my 6.2 gb … old school XD … didn't even have to restart :) you may have to do this first: click search > type power > click power & sleep settings > additional power settings > choose what the power buttons do > (even if the hibernation check box is off here, the hiberfile.sys is taking up space … but maybe uncheck it and restart to be sure if the command isn't working).

this is my only machine of 5 computers that i'll HAVE to do this on. the older pc's have massive HDDs and the newer laptop has a more reasonable SSD size. buuut I really don't like the idea of ~6.5 gb hiberfile.sys sitting there doing nothing if i'm not using it so i'll probably do it everywhere now.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  8. CoMmAnDrX2

CoMmAnDrX2 Active Member

GPU:
    MSIGTX680 Lightning
    Can you believe the manufacturers are still selling Laptops with only 32GB SSD eMMC's knowing this is not enough room for the user and Windows 10 to play nice in. I guess I will be getting even more of these when they roll out of 1903.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Extraordinary likes this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Same here. One ssd only for the system and drivers others for the rest.

10. SetsunaFZero

SetsunaFZero Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 980Ti 6G
    Try Windows Patch Cleaner

11. Mateja

Mateja Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    oh yeah that too. remember there are ...TWO... methods of cleaning files now (from redstone 4 to 19h1 they added a new method--storage sense. they said old school disk cleanup will be depreciated but it's still there so I've been using both. although I just read an article that said stop using disk cleanup because "concerns of potentially accidental deletion of personal files" (I wonder if this is the same issue as the disappearing files controversy… some reddit dude said it almost caused him to delete 200gb worth of memes lol).

storage sense runs automatically, but to use this 'new disk cleanup' manually, do this:

click search bar > type storage > click storage settings > (storage sense is off by default now ... so it no longer runs automatically in most recent fork--weird). scroll down to 'free up space now' to run it manually. there will be a check box to delete old windows versions (if you haven't already, if you have that check box wont' exist--this feature only started working in the last fork so you might need to use disk cleanup to delete your old windows files).

the new method gets most of it but there's still some straggler files. and if you're not on the very most recent fork the clean windows updates check box may not even appear, or if it does may not work. but still works with old disk cleanup run as admin--that's another ~7 gb or more if you haven't cleaned your old forks.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Well, when has this ever been a security issue that has ever been exploited? *nix systems have been using a separate partition (for paging/swap space) for decades so it'd be a little weird that only now MS gets the hint if security is really the main reason for this.

Considering the reality is you need to spare 7GB of disk space for just updating your OS, you make a good point. But the fact you need 7GB in the first place, whether you have the disk space or not, is still a stupidly high amount.
    What I personally don't understand is why not just give users an option to enable this, and more importantly, have an option as to where this partition is. I think this could actually be a decent idea if you could use a separate drive to dump the partition on. It'd make for good use of those small Optane drives, for example.

Or... Windows could just be less bloated. With 7GB, I can run a complete Linux setup with more functionality than Windows and a full suite of commonly used programs. So basically, all that storage space Windows is ostensibly wasting could have otherwise been used to comfortably store all of your currently-used binaries. You don't need a drive larger than 32GB when everything you have installed on it uses up less than half the drive.

rl66 likes this.
  13. LaDeX

LaDeX Member

GPU:
    GTX1080 STRIX A OC
    On a fresh install? I highly doubt that situation. This won't affect existing intallations. Only fresh 1903 installs will get this. At least that's how I understood this.

14. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    this must be a first for me, but i think i'm ok with this.. something like this would keep away issues like the one that my dad have with his huawei phone.. he can never install updates because there is no space fo them to install (the space management of that particular phone is awful, after a har reset it is like 11/16GB full)

15. zig11727

zig11727 Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti
    When imaging your system drive True Image or Aomei Backupper is this partition included with the system image ?

I try to check my system drive under 40GB

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    "The 'partition' cannot be deleted and used for anything else either. "

Is that a challange?

[​IMG]

Apparatus, sykozis and schmidtbag like this.
  17. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    storage keep getting bigger -> some-people say, what for bigger size
    when OS keep getting bigger -> some-people say, why OS got bloated

but if still using windows10 and dont upgrade storage (when dont have enough 7gb free-space), then who is bad ? blame microsoft ?

its been years since windows have "recovery-partition" by default right ?
    its small tough only 450mb... but havent heard people complain it

18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    You cannot always upgrade the storage without change the entire full system. The recovery partition is mostly useless and can be deleted. And yes, pre-installed useless applications, which cannot easily completely removed for the avarage joe/bob/etc, plus the script that will download without user consent more bloated apps at the first log-in, make the OS bloated. But they do not still want to add .NET 3.5 and older directx runtime by default because they say that is "legacy".

19. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT73VRE TITAN
    Lets see if they can get it to work first :rolleyes:

20. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    You cannot always upgrade the storage without change the entire full system. -> what ?
    u mean fresh installation ? dont tell me u didnt know how to duplicate/copy system drive ?

anyway i just check it again
    actually not only recovery partition but there is system-reserve partition which in my system its 500mb
    so both partition already eat 1GB.... most people have it as its "by-default" no one complaining about it right ?

if windows10 is that bloated, why people not roll back to windows7 ? or maybe better switch OS ?
    i am not defending microsoft for wasting 7GB, but as user, its not a thing i complain either

people that dont know much about how OS work, that just know how to use few apps, i bet they prefer their system keep updated silently rather getting bothered with the OS keep pop-ing notification to free-up storage space for update