1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 - Tips and Tweaks

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Enable Gpedit.msc (Group Policy) in Windows 10 Home

[​IMG]

Group Policy is a way to configure computer and user settings for devices which are joined to Active Directory Domain Services (AD) as well as local user accounts. It controls a wide range of options and can be used to enforce settings and change the defaults for applicable users. Local Group Policy is a basic version of Group Policy for computers not included in a domain. The Local Group Policy settings are stored in the following folders:
    C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy
    C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicyUsers.

If you are running Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education edition, you can use the Local Group Policy Editor app to configure the options with a GUI.

Unfortunately, gpedit.msc is not included in Windows 10 Home. If you are a Windows 10 Home user, you are forced to make all the required Group Policy with Registry tweaks.

Tip: You can search for required Registry keys and values by using the following web site: GPSearch.

Finally, the Reddit user 'whitesombrero' has discovered a method that allows enabling the Local Group Policy app in Windows 10 Home. Here is how it can be done.

To Enable Gpedit.msc (Group Policy) in Windows 10 Home,
    1. Download the following ZIP archive: Download ZIP archive.
    2. Extract its contents to any folder. It contains only one file, gpedit_home.cmd
    3. Unblock the included batch file.
    4. Right-click on the file.
    5. Select Run as Administrator from the context menu.
    You are done!

The batch file will call DISM to activate Local Group Policy Editor. Wait until the batch file finishes its work.

https://winaero.com/blog/enable-gpedit-msc-group-policy-in-windows-10-home/

2. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse
    Fml...just finished a fresh install of October Update.
    Used WinAero PowerShell commands (1st page) to remove metro apps etc (just I've already done 4-5 times with no problems whatsoever), but this time it also erased WindowsPhotos and the Store itself!
    I cannot restore it, whatever command or other solution I tried.
    Any ideas?

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Try to create new account, log into it, launch Store and Photos, then log back and try usual troubleshoot - PowerShell script to repair apps, Windows own troubleshooter. I did that myself recently.

4. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse
    No, unfortunately this didn't work, even though I restored most of the other apps by using a command I found here: https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-windows-store-windows-10-uninstall-with-powershell/

I got news, calc etc back, but not Photos or Store.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
  6. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse
    To think I formatted my PC because it was stuck on Insider 18290 and wouldn't find a newer. I tried to install 18317 over it, but it stuck on 85%/migrating data twice.

It was a very old OS setup, at least 3 years of Preview to Preview. Last summer, I even upgraded from AM3+ to AM4 without reinstalling Win and everything worked fine.

Sigh...I guess I'll have to wait till April/May, for the next major update or (hopefully) for an intermediate one.

TY!

7. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse
    Just a thought:

I have a laptop with Win10 Home (mine is Win10 Pro), on the same OS version.

Can I extract WindowsStore "app" and force install it (via Powershell) on my system?

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I remeber few years back there was way of doing this too but the program didnt work to good imo due changing setting in never actual did anything does this work better?

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I think the old one was just some exe or installer for a partially working GP, don't remember it using DISM, so probably better

10. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I did this method today on my W10 Home laptop and worked fine.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I will have to forward this to my uncle who has "home"

12. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse
    Found (via an online friend) a link for an oflfine all-in-1 installer/register and it worked like a charm.

Hope I didn't give my PC HIV, though.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I just did this on my uncles pc and it seem more legit then the other way, I set Windows update to defer feature update for 200 days and the semi-anual channel and I set quality updates to 20 days, and I set WU to notify before download and install. gone see how sell it works. Sadly it does not update "setting>windows updates" page to refect those changes and how it setup

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  14. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX2070 Black
    Hey all. I had a problem with my computer earlier today and had posted in another section in the forums here to find out what was wrong. So anyhow I had just did a fresh install of Win10Pro 1903, everything went smoothly. Well when I fired up some games I was getting all kinds of crazy stupid stutter in my games, plus my desktop was lagging, web pages pausing as I scrolled, youtube videos skipping, it was nuts. I started trying other gpu drivers, took all the o/cs off my cpu and gpu, and nothing helped. Nothing playable. So I came here and asked for help and mbk1969 pointed me to LatnecyMon and it was showing that I was having some problems. I kinda looked around that website(LatnecyMon) and saw I should try to disable the p/c states in bios. Did that and it helped a little bit but LatnecyMon still showed a bar in the red. While I waited for another guru, I stumbled across this article(Almost a 2 year old one). "How to disable Power Throttling in Windows 10"

https://winaero.com/blog/disable-power-throttling-windows-10-1709/

They had a little article on how to disable power throttling. Showed how to do it through regedit, but also had a couple of batch files for download for us that don't like to mess with the reg. I ran the disable bat, rebooted, and booom back to buttery smooth gaming/surfing/video watching. I think I even gain a couple of fps(prolly placebo affect??)... Just figured I'd post this if anyone else seems to have this problem after updating to 1903(Plus mbk1969 asked me to.) Sorry if punctuation and such aren't up to par but just a quick post. Hope maybe it helps others.

Peace
    ----Doug
    (P.S. Guru3d rocks!!) :)

My original post:
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/stange-thing-happening.427138/#post-5679612

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

did the latencymon spikes stop?

16. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX2070 Black
    Yes, they seem to have. I just ran it again for the same amount of time as that first test and this is what it shows now.

[​IMG]

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    939 is still pretty high, so theres still an operation going on in the kernel that is taking too long.

18. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX2070 Black
    I was wondering about that... Not too smart when it comes to this kinda stuff. Everything is working very smoothly tho. Is there something else I should be checking?

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Enjoy your games.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Undying likes this.
  20. slayer6288

slayer6288 Active Member

GPU:
    2080 TI
    Not really as this seems to be an issue with the kernel in 1903. No one knows whats really going on besides Microsoft but spikes above 500 are pretty bad. For example if you have a nvidia card you will see spikes of 450-500 when it kicks into 3dclocks. Clock switching will always come with a dpc penalty. That spike is twice what a clock switch is. Thats a brutal hit to the system when it happens and it doesnt just happen once like the clock switch. It happens in intervals. What I dont get is the severity of the ntoskrnl spikes vary reboot to reboot. What could possibly be happening in the kernel that changes reboot to reboot. That is the part I dont understand with this buy and 1903