1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 - Tips and Tweaks

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jul 30, 2015.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Have you tried Ryse recently btw? Does it still stutter without ITA driver?

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I thought about it, wanted to buy it cheap from kinguin @ steam , but then changed my mind :)

3. X7007

X7007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 1080GTX
    UPDATED GUIDE PLEASE CHECK

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-8-or-10-stuttering-fix.421370/

I think I figure the stuttering issue for everyone with Intel CPU.

You need Software from Microsoft

Microsoft Autoruns.exe
    From here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
    Or here https://filehippo.com/download_autoruns/

Programs you need to go to Device Manager and Show Hidden Devices go to SYSTEM DEVICES and Uninstall the WDT device including the Driver in the box selection.
    [​IMG]

There are 3 conflicting drivers on the new intel motherboards and 2 on the old ones.
    1. Intel Watchdog Timer Driver Intel WDT ( This usually installed from windows update or Intel Chipset Software or Intel XTU _Xtreme Tuning Utitliy_ )
    (
    ! Picture was taken from the internet just look for the Intel WDT ! )
    [​IMG]

2. Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework
    !Now if you have the drivers installed properly and updated this shouldn't be on a section of it's own . Those Devices installed should be on System Devices in the Device Manager!
    This is where it shouldn't be because of driver not updated usually ( Driver Version 8.0, 8.1, 8.2 )

[​IMG]

This is where it should be ( Driver Version 8.3 )
    [​IMG]

3.Intel® Management Engine Consumer Driver (IMEI)
    This is a tricky one. for every motherboard there is specific firmware that installed, every motherboard will be different usually firmware update won't update this as you usually need to update it alone which is dangerous and hard. but we won't touch the firmware only the driver. here the newest is not the best but specific driver for the motherboard version is the best. not sure how you can check it , usually there is a software called Intel MEInfo Tools , but there are many version of this for specific firmware and chipset and I'm not sure which one will work.

So try to get lower version from Windows Update Catalog and start from there , every time you update restart computer and check for stuttering or crashes.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Intel® Management Engine

Other then that if there are still issues it could be other software or other driver conflict or not updated or wrong version which I cannot know if it specific to your computer.

But it's guaranteed this devices are causing stuttering.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  4. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    RX64 Red Devil
    I've got something to add:

Set all network connections / dialups to METERED CONNECTION, so Windows Update does not automatically update. It still does it on demand, but you have to click on the button yourself (almost like Windows 7 -> "Let me search for updates"):

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost]
    "3G"=dword:00000002
    "4G"=dword:00000002
    "Default"=dword:00000002
    "Ethernet"=dword:00000002
    "WiFi"=dword:00000002
    Put that in a REG file and import it.
    If it cannot import it, these settings are blocked by some policy (GPO).

EDIT: Tested on Win10 x64 Pro / Pro OEM / Enterprise / Pro Workstation, but should work with x86, too.

EDIT2:
    Intel ME is split to two basic versions, 1,5MB one and 5MB one. The 1,5 MB one is the "basic" version without any management features, the 5MB one is the one with those features (previously called "Intel AMT" = Intel Advanced Management Technology).
    1,5MB ones are found in the Intel Z or X chipsets (like X79, X99 or Z97, Z170, Z270).
    5MB ones are found in the H or Q chipsets liike H97, H170 or Q170 to name a few.
    General recommendation is to use the newest drivers available, because they offer security optimizations which are not found in older versions.
    You basically have to find out what version (1,5MB or 5MB) you have and install those driverrs in the newest version available.

Look here for a good explanation and to find current drivers and tools to check your firmware and stuff for your system:
    https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html

IMPORTANT: "Use newest version available" only applies to the driver! Do NOT (!!!) use the newest firmware available without checking first! If you force the install of say Intel ME 12 firmware on a chipset designed to use Intel ME 8 for example, your system will NOT boot afterwards or it will be VERY unstable. Only update firmware to the same major version (8 updates to 8, 9 to 9, 10 to 10, etc.). Check the support site of your mainboard to find out more.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018

5. Toadstool

Toadstool Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I'm doing a clean install tonight after troubleshooting an issue I've been having and ruling out hardware. This thread is a godsend, but holy crap did I forget how much garbage there is to disable/tweak in Win10.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
  7. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I do like that. Have you installed it? Any issues with the OS?

8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    yes im using it currently, the old control panel sidebar is still white , but i doubt that can be changed. ive tried many themes and all had this problem.
    for the rest , i have not had any problems. really liking it.

btw if you do not like it , you can just apply windows default theme to revert to the regular one.

boogieman likes this.
  9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
  10. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    Just out of curiosity...is there any solution for bigger latency in w10 than w7? Not that I like w10(I really don't...) but w7 have like 20 to 100microsecons and w10 hoovers 500+ and lately 1000microseconds...
    It is w10 2016 LTSB

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    It works fine! I wouldn't have posted it otherwise.

12. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    :D Ah right nice, wasn't sure if you'd noticed lol

13. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ugh what is that ? more giant buttons I dont want, only thing i might care for is windows update and that is already listed in the giant buttons bellow, they really need to stop trying to make GUI that is for both Mouse/KB and Touch at the same time it dont work, as such i still despite this GUI, I like the Startmenu though, the whole "setting" i do not.

IF it anit broke dont mess with it, then again its MS so they gona tell use what we want, and we gona like it, cause they own the PC OS sector with there monopoly, so whether we like it or not they dont care.

I wish the backlash they got for original annoucements of there xbox one, where they were gona lock all goes to the system and account, there by kill used game sells, cause the do 180 in less then 24hours was something that would work on there PC OS too.

End of *rant*

holiday are almost over so i can go back to beeing less cranky :p

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    boogieman likes this.
  15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I can't help but feel like the design philosophy is now "everything needs to work for fat fingers on touch screen*...

The1 and RzrTrek like this.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Just in case, what app do you use to measure latencies?

17. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    DPC latency checker 1.4. Like now latency varies 53-120 usec, max I see 494 was. Min like 17.
    Where similar settings(FF, usual stuff like RTSS, AB, SSE3 etc) and average was like said above

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Developer of DPC latency checker stated that the program is not compatible with Win8 and Win10.
    Use Latencymon or this https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/simple-way-to-trace-dpcs-and-isrs.423884/

19. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    yeah, but still, w10 sucks in terms of latency. w7 has max 200 area, while w10 sometimes (ndis.dll, dxkernel or nvdsomethinhg) reach 500+. And something called hard page fault seems to be a lot frequent and higher(like 2000 msec) than w7

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I used all versions of Windows and I have never experienced troubles because of latencies.
    Anyway, you can try MSI mode tweak since it can improve some portion of latencies
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts.378044/