Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Pin login option has been there and I've been using it the whole time from Windows 8 to 8.1; you just had to set it up.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    More than likely, unless your genuine previous OS was Pro N also

3. Elite3540

Elite3540 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    Really, no one? :S

4. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Tried making the install media with the media creation tool and upgrading via ISO or USB?

5. Elite3540

Elite3540 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    I got a ISO ready, but I thought you had to upgrade via your Win7/8.1 first in order to have no issues with the activation key later on if you wanna do a clean install?

Or am I allowed to just run the set-up within my USB stick and free to accept everything without activating the key?

If i mess things up I'll have to pay 119$, which I'm not going to do obviously.

6. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    You do have to upgrade first, but doesn't matter how you do it, via Windows Update, or USB, or ISO, so long as you upgrade first before clean installing

Once you are upgraded, activated and online with 10, you can clean install without any key whenever you like and it will activate fine

If you are going to do it via ISO/USB, run disk cleanup first > system files cleanup to remove the temp install dir WU created

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Yeah but not if you use local account AFAIK (can't remember, maybe it has been there for local accounts too).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  8. Elite3540

Elite3540 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    Much appreciated for the help, I'll do that, do I also remove the downloads in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download again? Or is that not obliged anymore if I do it via the ISO (USB)?

Thanks! :)

9. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Doesn't matter about the softwaredistro folder, that's just for WU :)

10. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1

11. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    No it was not a PRO N; it was just a PRO. I'm formatting again now and doing a clean install of the PRO version. Hopefully it'll activate successfully. I'll report back regarding how it goes. Thanks.

12. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    You'll need to upgrade from your genuine and activated 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro first before clean install will activate I'd imagine, might be wrong saying as you've already upgraded from a genuine OS, but to the wrong version of 10

13. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Gross: http://i.imgur.com/4Q2eASp.jpg

Also, Creative won't be putting out a driver for my soundcard until October, so I'm stuck with onboard until then.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Things are getting fun~

Update is ready and waiting, thought I'd do this just in case :T

[​IMG]

15. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1080ti [125/275]
    My friend has just upgraded to Win10 from 8.1. Shortly after upgrading he ordered a new motherboard, cpu and ram.

What are his choices? Will he have to repurchase Windows or can he somehow transfer the licence over?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I cant activate.

says Error code: 0xC004F034

which is that it cant find the activation servers.

17. Racayo

Racayo Member

GPU:
    Asus R9 290
    well, upgraded using the usb flash created with the tool, checked if windows was activated, and it was, clean installed, with the usb flash, skipped when it ask for the serial, logged in with my ms account, now windows says it's not activated and asks me for a new serial... f*** why ms do things like this? if its going to be free, might as well do things like apple and scratch the serial part of the os... really not it the mood to install 8, then update, then 8.1, then update....

18. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1080ti [125/275]
    Found on the Microsoft forums -

Quote - Theodore Harris

"Hi,

I have found a way to fix this issue with Windows 10 not activating.

1. Press (Win+R) to open Run and enter "slui 4". You shall now see a dialogue asking where you live, choose where you live and it will give you a phone number.
    2. Call the Toll Free Number (or Toll number) and use the automated process or smartphone process varying where you live.
    3. Enter the Numbers they give you to the automated service or the internet enabled smartphone
    4. Once the number has been verified They will give you a set of numbers to enter in Windows to Activate the copy.

5. Press Activate Windows and it should activate.
    (Optional): If you live in the United States, independence day is being celebrated on July 4th which is a holiday. Which means you can not do this. But, if you have the program Skype, you can call Toll Free numbers from the United Kingdom.

In order to activate your copy of Windows 10, choose United Kingdom instead of United States, You shall get a toll free number to call, Call the number that has a (0) but really it's ****.

Now, go into Skype and go to "Call Phones" and make sure the country you selected is United Kingdom, now enter the number without the (0). And Call. It should work just fine."

Original thread - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4/002289bc-69c3-4fa7-b02d-6923eda1ce42?auth=1

19. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Windows: Dead Space 10

You can't resize the width of the start menu to be smaller, so you're left with more dead space: http://i.imgur.com/fp6CjUZ.jpg

20. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI