Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Waiting until the "botnet" stuff get sorted out before I try it.

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's not really flickering in the graphical corruption sense, more like a taskbar refresh. At least I assume he's having the same thing as me.

Lol you already have it from the insider build. 1GB was the unpacked size anyway. It's a much smaller download, I just did it. Dunno how big it was because, WU.

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    :) Have fun waiting.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    When I click eject USB thumb drive there is no safe to remove popup... is this normal?

In all previous windows it pops up with "safe to remove" to indicate you can remove it.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's supposed to show. Sometimes it takes a few seconds longer than usual.

6. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Of cource Creative is behind the ball.. ETA for X-Fi drivers.. October.. lol.. Gonna install Daniel_K's support pack and see if that makes it work.

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Tried that fix... still doesn't work. Does the same thing it did to me all morning. I'd check for updates. One important update would show up.... a new update for Windows Defender. I'd select it, click Install, and then the Windows Update dialog would say "Installing Windows 10" or something like that. the progress would say checking compatibility i believe for a couple seconds, then say all updates installed... but nothing for Windows 10.

8. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    I did the upgrade with a DVD i made using the media creation tool...

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    One huge issue I have found is that you are able to connect to a wireless connection when you have locked your PC.

This is a huge issue for me at least what the **** were Microsoft thinking with that?

Basically you can connect and disconnect from wireless networks when the PC is locked.

On the screen where you input your password, lower right.

Absolutely ridiculous.

10. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    WOOO! Finally managed to get Windows Update to start downloading a 2.7GB update for Windows 10! Down side is it doesn't even seem like it's downloading. I mean..... the bar is still moving as it normally does.... and according to the network usage pane of the Task Manager, there's a pretty constant ~55Mbps downstream over WiFi, which is basically my peak internet connection bandwidth.... but in the past 7 minutes it hasn't gone up a single percent.

11. machete

machete Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080/G12
    umm.. think i screwed up.. can i still downloaded it as a media file if i upgrade just from windows?

edit: wow im stoned... guess all i need is the serial :D

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I gave up on trying to update win 7, whether it was its own updates or trying to use the tool thats downloaded through windows update. Just wouldnt work for me.

What i did in the end, i just used the usb tool and created a usb for "Another Computer". Once done, ran the installer by going into the directory of the usb, followed the instructions, opted to keep files and settings, then clicked next and let it take care of the rest.

Also, how do you get the standard 8.1 start menu back? This windows 7 start menu is terribad.

13. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Biggest hassle for me was changing all my wifi channel names to have _optout on the end. Cant believe they made that wifisense that hard for the average joe to totally turn off.

Other than it all went great!

14. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Ok, Daniel_K's support pack got my X-Fi working.. Everything seems fine.. Immediately installed StartIsBack for W10 again.. Jesus that Start Menu is an abomination.. Yes "technically" the Start Menu has returned but what a convoluted mess it is.

15. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    Nightmare here so far, tried the wuauclt.exe tool, after deleting everything in the download folder, It downloads the files, starts the install and about 35% in closes with the error 80240020.

Tried every fix and nothing works, I am downloading the iso now and will see if that works.

I'm guessing the servers are getting hammered and files are getting corrupt during the download process? No idea though.

Hours wasted.

16. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    So far I've had three issues, graphics drivers didn't install properly, had to figure out a way to make my Ambx cyborg lights work and SVP constantly crashed with every video file I tried to play until I disabled NVCUVID in lav filters, but finally everything is working smooth and to be honest it was worth the hassle, Windows 10 runs great, so much snappier than 8 and I think it looks great, for a free upgrade I'm well pleased :)

17. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Observation.

Chrome with Windows 10 on Guru

If I click a thread that's bold.. Back.. Reload page.. That thread goes from bold to regular indicating I read it and no new posts.

Close chrome.. Reload thread list.. The same thread is bold again even though no new posts.. Cleared all browsing data, cookies, browsing history etc. Still doing it..

Tech OCD at its finest.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ah yes I saw that.. Mostly when copying stuff..

Speaking of L4d2, it also runs ok when in win8 compatibility mode, idk maybe its sweetfx thing, just like by MKKE.

19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    That's a problem with the forum. It does it with Firefox too no matter what OS I use.

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Installed fine, games all seem to be working fine if not a little better, but that might just be Nvidia driver related.

Again, how to get 8.1 startmenu back?

Edit: Windows 8.1 Start Screen:
    Settings -> Personalisation -> Start -> "Use Start Full Screen".

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015