Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    oh ok, that's good to know. I'll upgrade when it's ready then. BTW, are there any significant games/apps that don't work with 10?

2. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Completed my W10 install from Windows update only to find that it has downloaded Windows 10 HOME and not Pro. Is this the version everyone else is getting too?

Everything I had remained installed including drivers and games. The only issue I had was reinstalling my wireless Xbox 360 receiver but that only took a minute to fix.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Haven't really tried many games yet, just Thief which works fine

All my usual programs I used on 8.1 run fine, haven't found anything that did run on 8.1, that now doesn't

4. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    So it took one bloke 10 minutes to fix their driver, but it's going to take their team of professionals 3 months.

Thanks mate, you saved me the torture of onboard.

5. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I had w8.1 pro and now i have w10 pro. I´m almost certain it is a pro->pro upgrade.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you were running 8.1 Core, or a version of 7 below Pro/Ultimate, it will upgrade to 10 Home

You need the original OS to be 7 Pro/Ultimate, or 8.1 Pro for it to upgrade to 10 Pro

7. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Ah I see well that makes perfect sense then. I'm not complaining about it I just forgot my Pro version was my Windows 8 which I'd not used in years lol. :banana:

So far everything is running great, I love that snappy feeling a new OS gives your machine! :D

8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This is kinda funny, best WAT ever:

Created bootable iso with MSDN iso (no VLK), installed W10 from scratch without a MS account, I did not used the product key (I wanted to check if there were any issues before activating), installation complete, OS was not activated, check for updates, restart, the OS is fully activated :|

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so cause the VM i did for some reason had unpartioned HDD space when it made partion it made backup partions.

So i right then, long as there partion there it wont make one, and pretty much choose Format will to do clean install will do same thing? or will click format cause backup partion to get created?

10. deets75

deets75 Guest

I wonder if I can update my laptop from win 7 32 bit to win 10 64 bit..

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you only choose format, it will not create any new partitions, only if you press 'Create new partition' then it will try to make reserved system partitions etc

So:

Before
    P1
    P2 << Format << Install to
    P3

After
    P1
    P2 << Win 10
    P3

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Extraordinary, can I just say thank you for everything you're doing for the community when it comes to OS troubleshooting. It's truly appreciated. Thanks mate.

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yep just finished installing and taking a tour around W10.

I downloaded 353.30 from Nvidia's site but W10 automatically downloaded 353.62 for me and installed them which was nice :)

I am liking the OS so far, very easy to use and a little weird to navigate at first but within minutes I am used to it.

I am not too keen on the start menu though, any other start menus out there that work with windows 10? I had StartIsBack installed on W8.1 and loved it but it doesn't work on W10 so I had to uninstall it.

Also anyway to set Windows Update to "notify me but let me choose when to install" its defaulted to "automatic" and only other option is "on restart".

Cheers guys!

14. Braadkip

Braadkip Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Same here.

And though not listed in the original thread at Creative Forums, Creative SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Xtreme Gamer PCI also works fine with "SB X-Fi Series Support Pack 3.4" :banana:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You should be able. 32 and 64 bit product key are interchangeable since Windows Vista...

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah he is one the most helpful people i know

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    New startisback available for 10
    http://startisback.com/#download-tab

GPEDIT.MSC from RUN will allow you to set updates to notify before download and install

Computer Config > Admin templates > Windows components > windows updates > Configure automatic updates > Enable and Select option 2 :)

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :) Thanks

:)

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I upgraded last night around 10PM EST. Everything working smoothly with an upgrade, no clean install needed. Very nice so far.

20. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    Ok so I have done a clean install after making a DVD with the Tool from MS.

But it wont activate.

The key was VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T and the error I was getting says that MS has blocked that key.

But now my key has changed to one ending in KD726 but with the same error.

Any ideas?

If I click on go to store. it says something happened and we cant make your copy of windows genuine. If I click try again it says I am running a genuine version of windows 10 pro. But still not activated with the same error, go back to the store and it says the same error, click try again.. just goes in a loop lol