Windows 10 Store Game Install Location

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by solo16, Apr 2, 2016.

1. solo16

solo16 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080Ti 11G
    Hi,

Is anyone having issues that games purchased on windows 10 store unable to install / download if the destination drive isn't the OS drive (e.g. C: only)?

I bought Gears of War UE after scratching my head for few days and finally figured out why it always shows error when downloading.

Also tried to let it download and install on c: then try to move to other drive and no it doesn't work, forgot the exact error code but after google it, it means the "system app" isn't allow to be installed to and moved to non os drive.

Wondering if anyone has a solution for this issue, coz I'm so tempted to buy the Quantum Break, but if the issue still persist than I'll completely gave up on Windows store games.

Thx!!!

2. Dan

Dan Active Member

GPU:
    6700 RX
    I'm pretty sure you can change the install location via the Settings in the start menu and then going to 'apps and features' but I think this can only be done after you've downloaded it to the c: drive.

3. solo16

solo16 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080Ti 11G
    I tried but no windows doesn't allow me to do so, an error code showing that the app is a system app which cannot be moved. Any idea why?

4. Dan

Dan Active Member

GPU:
    6700 RX
    If it won't let you move it then the only thing that I could suggest you do is to go to settings>storage>new apps and change the app install location to the drive of your choice then you'd have to re download Gears unfortunately but at least it will be on the correct drive.

5. solo16

solo16 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080Ti 11G
    As mentioned it won't allow me to download if the app installation drive isn't the os drive.

6. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    "Windows Store" sounds like total ****....Not good for people with small ssd os drives.

7. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    it should be from settings menu>system>storage

and choose what you want then , you should remove any game installed in there before doing so

8. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2060 Ventus OC
    This might be what you're looking for. However, I tried following those steps to back up app games settings, etc.. and no matter what I did, even using the real Admin account, it would not let me access that folder.

Apps Folder

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well I managed to change it just fine for Killer Instinct

I've Started download and the game said where to change install directory, then I canceled and changed it, restarted download & installed on non-windows partition without a issue.

[​IMG]

10. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Worked fine for me this !!!