1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 Simple Batch (.bat) File to free VRAM

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by domyx80, Aug 26, 2015.

1. domyx80

domyx80 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3gb oc
    As you probably know by now , windows 10 uses modern apps and even if they are closed , some of them STILL run in background suspended. Now... here is something that you guys probably DIDN'T KNOW, they use ALOT of VRAM despite beeing suspended. In windows 10 there is a setting that prevents modern apps from beeing suspended ( settings>privacy>background apps>let apps run in background ) , but this setting does not work correctly , after some idle time , even after restart , after about 20 min some of the apps will start in background in suspended mode , you can see them in task manager (calculator , store , photos , movies & tv , etc) . There is no way of getting rid of them , only by uninstalling them .

Nvidia should release vram before entering a fullscreen game but IT DOES NOT , nor does MS win DWM does not reset to free up the vram so when you enter any game you will have LESS VRAM available for game.

What you CAN do tho , is to create a .bat file with the following text , and run the bat in admin mode before running any games .

taskkill /im ApplicationFrameHost.exe /f
    taskkill /im ShellExperienceHost.exe /f
    taskkill /IM dwm.exe /F

By killing ApplicationFrameHost.exe and ShellExperienceHost.exe will lead to killing all modern apps that may be running in background and free some vram.
    Killing DWM is actually resets Desktop Window Manager , will lead to freeing some more vram
    Remember to run in admin mode otherwise dwm will not reset.

From my experience you can free up ~200 mb or more or less.
    The apps will not return in background while you are in a game , but WILL return after exiting a game and idle for some time... So feel free to use this bat every time you enter a game. Tip: you can monitor what programs use your gpu by running gpushark detail mode, you will see every win10 modern apps or other programs that may eat your vram.

2. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX 1080 EXOC OC
    these problem in ram comsumption is true but microsoft promises fixes in new build 10525 in october with new memory management...

but vram too? i donĀ“t know... anyone confirm if in msi afterburner ou evga precision the vram usage no back to the normal later than close one game?

here look normal... back to less than 100mb usage

3. AmD6000

AmD6000 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 960
    Why microsoft just make a version of windows 10 without the damn modern apps? some of us care less for this apps!

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    OP mentions VRAM not RAM?

5. domyx80

domyx80 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3gb oc
    Its about video ram , not RAM , but sure , it will free up some ram too :)

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RX 480 Nitro 4GB
    This could explain why I see 200-300 more mb used in vram vs Win 8.1 with the exact same settings.

Ironic thing is, on my old amd gpus, HD 5770, HD 5850 that I have used with a phenom X6 build with Win 10, they both have the same vram usuage in Win 10 as Win 8.1.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'm seeing the same vram usage on the desktop as I was with Windows 8.1 ~320MB

8. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
  9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Is that with your browser open?

Browser closed:

[​IMG]

Browser open:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  10. domyx80

domyx80 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3gb oc
    Exactly , run the bat , and you will see the vram going to normal (118) (with browser closed!) im my case , depending on what you did in windows , even playing with the start menu eats some vram , and it never gets released until reset those processes.

11. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Yea, 2 tabs in FF

Went from 485MB to 454MB

12. domyx80

domyx80 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3gb oc
    It depends on how many modern apps are in suspended mode in background i guess. Even cortana and searchui.exe are eating some vram , but i managed to kill searchui.exe and cortana.

13. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I already got rid of most of them, only the persistent undeletable/wanted (up to now) remain

[​IMG]

14. Cyris

Cyris Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Windows 10 10525 Runtime: 4h.. No VRam problem with Cortana etc, but I'll keep a close eye on that..

[​IMG]

15. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX 1080 EXOC OC
    how i say before... microsoft promises fix this problem with new memory management in build 10525

16. domyx80

domyx80 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3gb oc
    You guys should look in task manager>details tab> *.exe status (suspended) , not in task manager>app hystory tab , see what apps are suspended , end task kill them one by one , and monitor your vram going down.

17. domyx80

domyx80 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3gb oc
    Here is a little test demo:

Before running bat:
    [​IMG]

After running bat:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  18. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    The "New Memory Management" is for RAM not GPU VRAM. And it will INCREASE the RAM usage, not decrease. What it will decrease is the rate of writing to HDD/SSD.

19. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I removed ~200MB VRAM by simply running your .bat-file?

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Does they also run while gaming?

I can't say i've noticed vram usage increase in games compared to 8.1, and couldn't care less if they use vram when i'm not gaming.