1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 RS5 Build 17763

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Today, we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17763 (RS5) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.

General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
    • The build watermark at the lower right-hand corner of the desktop is no longer present in this build. This doesn’t mean we’re done…
    • We fixed an issue where touching a Flash element in Microsoft Edge with two or more fingers could result in the tab crashing.
    • We fixed an issue where thumbnails and icons might not be rendered if there were any video files saved to the desktop.
    • We fixed an issue where certain Bluetooth audio devices wouldn’t play sound in apps that also used the microphone.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in an unexpectedly increased use of battery recently when using certain apps like OneNote.
    • We fixed an issue in PowerShell where it wasn’t displaying characters correctly in Japanese.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in display scaling factors not being applied correctly (so the UI was smaller than expected) when viewing a full screen remote desktop window on a monitor set to certain display scalings.
    Known issues

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Not the RTM and the two new known issues probably will require another build but it's getting close. :)

Seems they are changing the message though but on Twitter it was also confirmed this isn't the final build.
    (Unless it can be resolved in a cumulative but I'm expecting at least one more build.)

EDIT: Yeah seems there's at least a 17764.1 build.

3. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Yup, nice to see that MS can push out build 17760 with no known issues, then break two things in the next build...

Have they never heard "Don't fix what is not broken" ? :D

HK-1, Vidik and JonasBeckman like this.
  4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Yeah unexpected fixes and no known issues and then more fixes and known issues popping up. Well it's close at least. Hoping for Friday but that too could shift if there's newer builds via for example Buildfeed before RS5 is completely signed off and work shifts to the 2019 build. (For which there's also a upcoming skip-ahead version for now it's looking like.)

Extraordinary likes this.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Okay, so I installed this in yet another VHD since this is probably the penultimate build.

Dark theme still feels half assed with the title bars not being black outside of explorer and a few blessed apps. Those are white ... in a dark theme. File transfer window and properties are also not black. They finally got around to implementing such an old request so it means they're almost done with the uwp crap? lol

File copy prompt still doesn't come into focus reliably. This has been a bug since windows 8.1!

Can't get rid of setup agenda in calendar (taskbar). Earlier it was enough to remove calendar access from shellexperiencehost but it is conveniently gone now.

No xbox one controller battery meter and the only solutions are steam big picture mode (which only warns on the home page when it is very low) and a little program on github. Too hard for MS. I put this request in 2015.

First detection of the wireless controller still fails unless you plug it in with a usb cable before hand. Broken since RS1.

Onedrive still causes the task bar to flicker if you open file/folder properties or a file picker (ctrl o). Broken since March 2018 (aka any build starting with 18.xx). Since I am unable to uninstall od normally in current branch builds, I just stop the thing from loading and removed it from explorer. A shame because I liked od.

File associations - still hell after they removed the control panel version. Since RS3, you can't browse your own pc for programs and this pile of crap goes further and ignores your choice even if you check the box to use a program in open with. I am worst affected when it comes to photos (gif jpg jpeg bmp and png extensions). I had to create a folder with a sample from each type to use open with, choose to remember my choice of jpegview, check again to see if windows ignores me (it does), go to settings and choose jpegview as default. A program appears only if you choose all extensions as default. I didn't have to do this earlier. Just one (eg. jpg) would cause jpegview to appear in the control panel and choosing it for the rest was trivial. And it would remember to open with jpegview, always. Here I also had to disable the you have new apps prompt because 17758 practically fought me to keep it as Photos.

UWP snipping tool is inoffensive but I liked the absolute simplicity of the old one. Any way to get rid of the "moving ..." alert?

Cortana search - I had used group policy to disable web search in an older build of rs5 and it stuck but in 58, it ignored me. I used gp edit and winaerotweaker (my new control panel lol) and it didn't waste my time with web searches.

Timeline stuff - doesn't it ask you in oobe if you want it or not? I clicked nope but it still has everything all over the place. I only need it as an alt tab, not a weird quick access but frack the user's wishes. I had to go to settings to clear it all out. Hopefully it's enough.

Stability and drivers - no issues unlike the mess that was RS3 and 4. Dunno why it doesn't pack in wifi drivers for my card. It's just a broadcom 802.11 ac card and the drivers I use are from WU of all places lol.

Sumatrapdf - edge restored itself as the default and was kind enough to let me know about it. Asshole.

Store - hot garbage. A mix of arabic and english. I have to use USA for it to not piss me off with this hodge podge.

Lifesavers - winaerotweaker and windows privacy dashboard (to get rid of apps for the most part).

I've no intention of getting nvidia's RTX cards so RS5 has nothing to offer me over RS1. Sheer boredom with a stable and perfectly fine os is the only thing that would cause me to upgrade. Dark theme explorer is too half assed to care about - my browser and media players are more important to me and Office 2016 has had dark grey for a long time. There's probably more unfixed bugs and maybe even performance issues in games I may unearth coming from 14393 but that's only for a proper install.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Extraordinary likes this.
  6. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    What would they have to advertise and boast about for RS6 if they actually completed things in RS5?

RS6 - We've fixed a problem with the dark theme where half of it wasn't dark

lucidus likes this.
  7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Lol this is a new one for me - it doesn't let me use 7zip for .zip files instead of explorer. I worked around it by using 7zip's own settings but I'm now left with an incredibly ugly win9x era icon for zip files lol. It may have to do with me not using installers but ignoring the use this app checkbox is bad enough, this goes a step further. Didn't happen in past versions of windows or windows 10. ugh. I'll delete this thing after playing the forza horizon 4 demo I guess.

8. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Apparently this build is now in the slow ring too according to a few members on MDL, nothing on the MS blog yet

9. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Build 17763.1-can be called the final version #Redstone_5 of the assembly is available on the rings-WIF and WIS. Soon the Assembly will be available on the RP ring (by the way inside the ring RP and retail are already working).
    https://twitter.com/rgadguard/status/1042834832181485568

alanm and eGGroLLiO like this.
  10. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    After installing the Slow Ring offering of RS5, I have 17758.4

EDIT: Just got the 17763.1 offering. How annoying...

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Yeah it's a bit wonky going by MyDigitialLife, it's starting to push through now but if finds and begins download of a earlier build you might want to switch to fast ring to terminate that and begin on the latest one directly rather than hopping from a older build.

And as usual the display driver can probably be a bit wonky from a in-place upgrade so if that acts up a uninstall and re-install can help, for AMD a extra reboot or two usually helps get all the AMD services and functionality up and running with the context menu for Catalyst Next occasionally going missing until a driver re-install or upgrade once a newer one is available and for NVIDIA I guess it's similar in that regard too.
    Usually have to reboot once anyway after the cumulative update has installed because the related AMD services didn't kick in so I'm pretty used to it. :D

Install update / build, get that done, set up initial settings. reboot. look through everything again just in case Windows is pulling some scheduled task or resets anything and then reboot again and it should be all done after that. :)
    (Though a check for what services and tasks are running doesn't hurt. AMD makes it easy enough with the two services it has and if one or both of these are missing after a update or build install then it's reboot time to get it to work as intended.)

EDIT: I'll probably move over to RS5 next week or if the build hits release preview, just to be absolutely sure Microsoft isn't pushing some new last minute release if they can't hotfix the two remaining known issues with a cumulative update.
    (Well they can but leave those in and hotfix or make a new final build but avoid needing a cumulative although there's usually one or two cumulative updates before the RTM build hits full release anyway fixing a variety of problems.)

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Wait for a few CU's. It may be stable but the UI is glitchy af. Task manager is broken, Start can glitch out badly when trying to sort out the tiles (I ended up with duplicated tiles and tiles stuck between other tiles,etc), file associations are buggy, dark explorer flashes white when maximized and many more.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  13. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Sounds about right for RTM then :D

eGGroLLiO, JonasBeckman and lucidus like this.
  14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Yeah it sounds pretty much on par with this current 6-month cycle of builds, first or second monthly cumulative update might be needed to completely fix some of these early issues.

EDIT: And others as they are discovered and reported.