Windows 10 RS4 Build 17123

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Mar 17, 2018.

1. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I'm curious what's the point of installing this right now if the final build is around the corner? I mean is there any reason why I should try this or should I just wait? Sorry for the confusion.

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If this is the final build then yes. If there are further new builds, then you will have to get back in or make your own iso from the uup files.

It's expected that this is the final build or will be updated to "final" with an update like 16299.1 to 16299.5 (final). Wouldn't hurt to wait a bit though.

tensai28 and Carfax like this.
  3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I installed Build 17133.1 last night from the Fast option. It took a while to download, likely because of my slow internet connection, and hogged the bandwidth such that I was literally unable to download anything else (I ended up having to pause Origin and Steam updates plus the new v391.35 NVIDIA driver download just refused to download its entire 445 MB). There was then a long process where it was 'installing' before I was prompted to reboot. After then my PC restarted several times but the actual time to completion was relatively quick at about 20 minutes, I believe, possibly quicker (I was playing a game on my PS4 Pro so I wasn't paying too much attention).

Post-install I again had very little to do as all my settings and games had been retained and everything looked as it did with Build 16299.334. I only ran the registry tweak to fix an issue with PerfectDisk 14's global settings (something I have had to do for every Windows 10 update) and everything runs as it did with Build 17128.1 and 16299.334.

I noticed that the Game bar has a new design, which is very nice, but superfluous as I do not use it (it has a tendency to pop up when I am holding down the Guide button on my Xbox One controller to turn it off though, which is how I noticed the revamp!).

One issue I have come across, which was in Build 17128.1 as well, is that the Defaults by app option under Settings > Apps > Default Apps crashes on opening every time. A window opens on selecting this option and a progress indicator suggests it is scanning for apps but then closes after a few seconds. There is no on-screen error and the Event log only shows that the crash was caused by ntdll.dll (from memory, I will double-check this later).

Anyone else on 17128.1 or 17133.1 having this issue? I will report it but I'm wondering if it something specific to my machine rather than a bug with Windows. Of course, I ran sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup /scanhealth (+ /analyzecomponentstore) and a clean bill of health is reported. I haven't tried disabling the RTSS overlay though but that doesn't normally display in windows and Windows apps.

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Just tested it, and everything worked fine.

Darren Hodgson likes this.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    My impression of build 17133.1 is that it's awesome. Everything works well, and Windows itself seems to be snappier and slightly quicker than the previous FCU I had installed. The Edge browser's UI looks really nice now with the fluent design update, and performance has definitely increased significantly. I don't think Edge HTML 17 is as fast as Firefox 59.02, but it's close.

One thing I don't get though, is why they removed the option to have your Favorites viewed as just icons? That was a useful feature for me personally, as I prefer to store my favorites in the favorites bar.

eGGroLLiO, HK-1 and dr_rus like this.
  6. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Thats nice to hear that even after update its smoother and faster.

Good news.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Ah, thanks for posting that. It's not what I wanted to read, I'll admit, as it confirms that the issue is likely a hangover of being an in-place upgrade (which has never affected that setting before) or that I have something else installed on my system that is conflicting with it, something like Acronis True Image's protection software for example which I've just remembered as I typed this. The Event log does point to it being caused by Ntdll.dll though which is a Windows file.

Might try creating a new user account as well to see if it works with that. I have to add that my PC is an accumulation of Windows updates and upgrades since I installed Windows 8 fresh on it back in June 2013 when I built it with the then-new Haswell i7-4770K etc and that I've had very few problems with it except for those issues that were actually driver or software issues that eventually got fixed.

8. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Did you try refreshing Windows? Settings -> Recovery -> Reset this PC
    I had similar problem but with windows native apps when I updated to previous Creators Update.

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    FYI, I figured out that if I want to use the favorites icons, you have to right click on the individual favorite on the favorites bar, and choose show icon only. I don't know why they did it like this, because I had a whole bunch of them and I had to do them all individually. I suppose they did it for those people that want some additional flexibility to chose icons or name and icons.

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    If you want to keep both your files and apps, I would advise against using the "Reset" function.

One method of fixing this problem without doing a clean install or reset would be to use the reinstall Windows function whilst keeping everything else in place. The only thing you'll have to do redo are the settings. I've used that a few times in the past, and it fixed my problems. To do it, all you have to do is burn or mount an ISO to a disk/USB drive, run the setup program from inside Windows. Eventually you'll see an option to reinstall Windows, but keep personal files and apps. Once you choose your selection, Windows will install itself like normal, and you'll keep your files and apps. Afterwards, make sure you delete the old Windows installation using disk cleanup.

Detailed instructions here

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Must admit I really am liking this new Timeline feature :D

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This is the error reported in the Event log in case anyone can help identify what is causing it to crash:

Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.17133.1, time stamp: 0x2a3c4e62
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17133.1, time stamp: 0xe49d47fd
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x000000000008aa2f
    Faulting process ID: 0xb08
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3c6b37550e869
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report ID: 9f991c66-abb0-402e-b2d8-7bf7ee0d68d0
    Faulting package full name: windows.immersivecontrolpanel_10.0.2.1000_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

13. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    So did you try creating new temporary account? Also I've read that some disabled services could cause crashes similar to yours.

14. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    So you guys think build 17133.1 is the RTM version? I cannot wait anymore, got a 16GB flash drive just for the installation....

15. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Worst case scenario you'll have to update to RTM 17133.XX manually. Most likely this build will be patched to "final" RTM through windows update just like previous CU.
    17133.1 is already functioning better/faster than FCU so you might as well install it.

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Does it happen in safe mode as well? If it doesn't, then it might be driver related. A lot of issues can happen after updating to a new build. One thing I highly recommend is to always uninstall and reinstall the GPU drivers after a major OS update. Since Windows itself relies heavily on the GPU for the user interface, I would try doing a clean install of the drivers using DDU to see if it helps anything.

17. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I'm the same. Got a 16gb flash drive and an iso of 17133.1 pro ready to go. I don't think anyone is exactly sure if this is the RTM or not but what we all can agree on is that this is the closest thing we have currently to the RTM. So what I think I'm gonna do is make a separate partition and just try it out. At least that way I can get a feel for what the RTM will be like while not compromising my 1607 install. Also that way I can just make the jump directly from 1607 to RTM later when it's released with more confidence.

Guru01 likes this.
  18. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    I'm actually installing 17133.1 on my laptop which has 16299.248 right now. So i've heard that this 17133.1 is the 1803/04 version of Windows 10 Spring Creators Update, so hopefully we wait no longer. Let me know how the installing goes for you and if its better and smoother than your previous build.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've come across another strange bug on Build 17133.1, namely that downloads done within Edge are excruciatingly slow, for example, I downloaded the Amazon Music Installer from the Amazon UK website and at just 51 MB it would normally download in seconds even on my slow non-fibre connection. Anyway, it didn't and instead I was told it would take 15-16 minutes!!! Eventually the download appeared to download even though it never got to 100% but the download was incomplete and the installer was reported as corrupted. I noticed this issue yesterday as well when trying to download the NVIDIA v391.35 drivers from the GeForce.co.uk site; they'd get part way through and then stop as if they'd downloaded when it actual fact that hadn't.

I tried downloading the Amazon Music Installer from Firefox v59.0.2 and that did indeed download in a few seconds. I downloaded the NVIDIA driver from Chrome yesterday with no issues.

So why is Edge slow and not other browsers? It's almost like something is limiting the download speed...

(And before anyone says Edge is crap and I shouldn't be using it; I actually like Edge and prefer to use it over other browsers as IMO it is faster and I like the design of it, especially with the Dark theme.)

20. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    Dude, I also use Edge as my primary browser and I'm not having this issue. Considering your other bug in the Settings, there must be something messed up with your Windows install. That sucks.