1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 RS4 Build 17107

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Today, we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17107 (RS4) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. There won’t be a new build this week for Windows Insiders who opted into Skip Ahead.

What’s new in Build 17107
    Windows Update Improvements
    Keeping PCs Up-to-date: In an effort to prevent PCs from becoming out of date, we are introducing a change in behavior to Windows Update that is designed to be more proactive at keeping PCs updated. In RS4, now when Windows Update scans, downloads, and installs on a PC with AC power – it will prevent the PC from going to sleep when it is not in active use, for up to 2 hours when receiving an update in order to give Windows Update more opportunity to succeed. If you are not seeing this new behavior, let us know by sending in feedback via Feedback Hub.

General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
    • We fixed an issue where Settings would crash when you tried to open Themes.
    • We fixed an issue where the Settings tile didn’t have a name if you pinned it to Start.
    • We’ve updated About Settings to include at a glance entries for the two new Windows Defender pillars (Account Protection and Device Security).
    • We fixed a typo in Storage Sense Settings.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in all dropdowns in Settings appearing blank until clicked.
    • We fixed an issue that could result in Settings crashing after having navigated to and left Sound Settings.
    • We fixed an issue where closing certain apps after using in-app search could result in them hanging on the splash screen the next time they were launched.
    • We fixed an issue where plugging in an external optical drive (DVD) will cause an Explorer.exe crash.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in the hamburger button in Windows Defender overlapping the home button.
    • We fixed an issue where certain games using Easy Anti Cheat could result in the system experiencing a bugcheck (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED).
    • We fixed an issue where we had observed seeing longer-than-normal delays during install at the 88% mark. Some delays were as long as 90 minutes before moving forward.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in the Windows Defender offline scan not working in recent builds.
    • Some Insiders may have noticed a new message when holding down the power button which says “Please release the power button. We just need a few more seconds to shut down”. This is an Insider-only feature that gathers additional diagnostic data for situations where holding down the power button was used to recover an unresponsive or nonfunctional system. It is important to note that holding down the power button is not the appropriate way to shutdown/reboot a system that is functioning properly. See this support page for additional information on how to properly shutdown your PC.
    Known issues
    • Buttons on Game bar are not centered correctly.
    • Selecting a notification after taking a screenshot or game clip opens the Xbox app’s home screen instead of opening the screenshot or game clip.
    • Post-install at the first user-prompted reboot or shutdown, a small number of devices have experienced a scenario wherein the OS fails to load properly and may enter a reboot loop state. For affected PCs, turning off fast boot may bypass the issue. If not, it is necessary to create a bootable ISO on a USB drive, boot into recovery mode, and this this will allow bypass.
    • Tearing a PDF tab in Microsoft Edge will result in a bugcheck (GSOD).

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...dows-10-insider-preview-build-17107-fast-ring

Jackalito likes this.
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Lol the first thought I had when I read "In an effort to prevent PCs from becoming out of date.." sentence was "Resistance is futile" but thankfully it's merely preventing sleep :p I thought WU already inhibited sleep thanks to the CPU, network, and disk activity. Oh well.

"We fixed an issue where we had observed seeing longer-than-normal delays during install at the 88% mark. Some delays were as long as 90 minutes before moving forward." This problem has always plagued me after they switched to UUP in general. Upgrades used to take forever v/s simply downloading an ESD. Let's see if it is properly fixed.

Oye MS, how about a battery meter for the Xbox One controller? I've been asking for this since TH2. I'll even accept some fluent transparency if that's what it takes :p

Jackalito likes this.
  3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    RTM soon?

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Neah, another 2-3 weeks at least.

5. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    My VM: downloading preview > preparing to install preview > installing preview > downloading preview > preparing to install preview > installing preview

Before it finally gives a reboot option, every time with every new build

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    May be you should wait for reviews instead.

7. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    My review: RS4 = 4 x worse than RS1 :D

tensai28, warlord and lucidus like this.
  8. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    :D Microsoft logic, Download it twice.... maybe I get 2 x Windows 10 after reboot :D

[​IMG]

lucidus likes this.
  9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Well they really are being proactive about keeping your VM updated :p

Extraordinary likes this.
  10. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG STRIX 1070
    So this build is much more stable then the previous one?

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    No insider build should be considered stable. Even if one is, it doesn't meant the next one won't be. It's not designed for you to cherry pick builds every couple of months :). The closest thing to a stable build would be what is considered the RTM release. However, even that isn't considered production stable because they usually get updates upon release.

12. aka2k

aka2k Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    It has been very much stable so far compared to the previous builds, despite being on the fast ring. Feels quite polished for me. But I'm not entirely sold on 1803 performance compared to 1709.

13. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    You are entirely wrong and mistaken. The whole Windows 10 as service project is beta and unstable. Since when monthly updates make an OS stable? The same goes for linux, android etc. Whenever we have monthly updates, it is already a lost cause in terms of reliability. Fast ring either skip ahead or current branch is as stable as any Windows version.

14. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Fast Ring
    The benefit of being in the Fast Ring is that you will be among the first to use and provide feedback on new and improved features. If you have devices in the Fast Ring, you should be prepared for more issues that might block key activities or might require significant workarounds. Because we are also validating a build on a smaller set of devices before releasing, there is also a chance that some features might fail in some device configurations. If significantly blocked, report the issue to us in the Feedback Hub app or the Windows Insider forums and be ready to reinstall Windows using the Media Creation Tool, see instructions at Download Windows 10, or, for Mobile, the Windows Device Recovery Tool, see instructions at Windows Phone Device Recovery.

Slow Ring
    The benefit of being in the Slow Ring is that you'll still receive new updates and features on the Development Branch, but the builds will be more stable. Builds are sent to the Slow Ring after feedback has been received from Insiders on the Fast Ring and analysed by our Engineering teams. Slow Ring builds include updates to fix key issues that prevent many Windows Insiders from being able to use the build daily. These builds are still from the Development Branch and could have issues that might be addressed in a future flight.

Release Preview Ring
    If you want to be on the current public release of Windows 10 but still get early access to updates, applications and drivers without taking the risk of moving to the Development Branch, the Release Preview Ring is your best option. The Release Preview Ring is only visible when your Windows build version is the same as the current Production Branch. The easiest way to go between the Development Branch and the current Production Branch is to reinstall Windows using the Media Creation Tool, see instructions at Download Windows 10, or, for Mobile, the Windows Device Recovery Tool, see instructions at Windows Phone Device Recovery.

15. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    That's the general rule. Admit it, some of us here, use PC for more than 20 years. Suddenly these last years, we have many updates, more than ever before. Do you believe that they are rock stable? Is windows 8/8.1/10 as stable as the old days of Service packs of XP, Vista, 7 ? I mean in terms of updating/upgrading not as a whole OS package. You don't know if monthly updates are meant only for bug fixes, nothing in programming is one sided. Consumer windows is not like Ubuntu LTS for example or like its own LTSB version. That's the situation.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    When the insider builds started the fast ring was updated less frequently and the slow ring when that was made available usually had very tested and stable builds.
    For RS2 and on this has slowly changed after feedback on having builds released more frequently though at the cost of stability but the feedback has been very useful for Microsoft although even the current builds have some bugcheck / GSOD issues.

I wouldn't recommend the fast ring unless you're intending to test and feedback the latest in-progress development builds of Windows 10 RS4 and the initial RS5 builds now and even the slow ring is often prone to bugs even if it's not as problematic.
    It's interesting to read about the changes and peoples experiences with these builds though (And some of the fixes really should be uplifted to the monthly cumulative packs..) but I've moved to release preview now, occasionally a in-progress cumulative update is released and some apps are updated (Store app and related "hidden" purchase app usually.) generally (But not always!) without the issues from the full development builds.

I'm not a huge fan of the two builds per year update scheme, feels like that leaves too little for testing and instead these first cumulative updates resolve a variety of new and existing known issues instead after the next build gets released in addition to their primary role as security fixes since new features are now found in the next major OS build instead. (Occasionally a servicing stack update and until 2019 the Flash update will likely still be a thing too and that MRT monthly security runtime unless disabled.)

Besides that I've gotten fairly used to the OS by now, most settings retain when upgrading too although it's best to still check both for OS settings and software especially drivers and stuff like defaults for file associations and such but it's working pretty well.
    (Less so with Microsoft changing stuff around and moving or removing features and functionality with advanced configuration requiring registry editing or the group policy editor but it's doable even if it could be easier or more straightforward.)

Jackalito likes this.
  17. zimzoid

zimzoid Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Nice build for me, no issues

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Known issues
    • Buttons on Game bar are not centered correctly.
    • Selecting a notification after taking a screenshot or game clip opens the Xbox app’s home screen instead of opening the screenshot or game clip.
    • Post-install at the first user-prompted reboot or shutdown, a small number of devices have experienced a scenario wherein the OS fails to load properly and may enter a reboot loop state. For affected PCs, turning off fast boot may bypass the issue. If not, it is necessary to create a bootable ISO on a USB drive, boot into recovery mode, and this this will allow bypass.
    • Tearing a PDF tab in Microsoft Edge will result in a bugcheck (GSOD).
    Happy to see that the issue is not just something that is affecting me.

I had already worked out that i needed a bootable ISO on a USB drive, but that is obviously not a long term solution everytime i shut down the PC, especially when my wife also uses my PC.

Hopefully fixed in future updates.

Edit: Just tested and disabling fast boot does fix it though.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    This release is like the last one. It's not fully stable for me. The main problem is the Nvidia driver (using 390.77 atm) will crap out after a few days upon first boot-up. Windows settings in taskbar shows "Display driver failed to start". This problem will even cause Comodo Firewall and Realtek HD audio manager to fail to load. Re-installing the Nvidia driver fixes this problem (temporarily only it would seem, still testing).

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/03/02/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17112-fast/

Another build hit the fast ring. :)

Just a bit of a heads-up until it gets it's own dedicated topic, some good fixes from the blog post linked to above but also some noteworthy known issues including the Windows Store and OneDrive.

EDIT: Two weeks perhaps and then a RTM build? We'll see I suppose but mid-March and then mid-April for general release depending on remaining issues, this isn't it of course since it has GSOD / bug-check errors and the issue with not booting up without disabling fast boot depending on the users system is still listed.

EDIT: And 17110 as the previous build. :)
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17110-fast/

For the blog notes on fixed issues mainly.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Jackalito likes this.