Windows 10 release preview 17133 (release preview) issue with DDU

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Joaoo, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Joaoo

Joaoo Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6900
    Hi all,

I emailed DDU creator with the same explanation below. Just a quick heads up on the upcoming 17133 which will reach RTM very soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The new release preview which will go RTM in the next few days installs AMD drivers automatically. If I use your tool to ensure it does not update the drivers automatically; it still does.

It is downgrading the latest AMD drivers to 27/10/2017 version (17.7)

Once I use DDU to clean > make sure the windows update driver thing is blocked > it still rolls back.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:
    Using the REG file at: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...iver-automatic-installation-windows-10-a.html seems to have fixed the issue.

Anyone else on Release Preview which has the same issue without using the REG file?

Cheers,

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  2. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    This is not a DDU issue, but actually a Windows 10 issue. Truly. Microsoft actually has made "troubleshooter tool" to fix these driver issues but does not advertise it. Can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

It is called wushowhide or wushowhide.diagcab download.

Please keep this troubleshooter in your in ongoing toolbox. It is pretty permanent until a major upgrade, clean install or a windows reset. It will work for pretty much any driver actually.

3. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Maybe try disconnecting your internet? That's what I do and it doesn't install drivers but then again, I'm on Nvidia so that might also be why. I'm on 17133.1 by the way.

4. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    @ joaoo Hi very strange because I never had or see issues when I need use DDU always works like a charm ;)

5. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    The fix DDU applies on first run is:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching]
    "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000
    The same as setting the policy:
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Device Installation\Specify search order for device driver source locations\Enabled|Do not search Windows Update

That one fix you've linked shouldn't prevent drivers to be updated. Some moons ago, in that part of the Devices and Printers GUI there was also the options to set if system would search for drivers via WU, but it was removed, hence the need for the above registry fix/policy. Also, this thing is only applied for when you have a missing driver in Device Manager, and it triggers a search for drivers in the background after you boot windows.
    You'll still need to hide the offending driver via wushowhide or WUMT if you don't wan't it to be download when manually running windows update or it's automatic schedule.

6. WarDocsRevenge

WarDocsRevenge Guest

GPU:
    Fury-x Crossfire
    im on the RTM build and not a single issue it seems more of your issue not windows

7. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Thanks for this, been reporting this issue, my problem is for some reason Microsoft keeps installing those drivers with each Insider released, but I have a 580 and it keep installing the 480 drivers and causes issues. Will give this a run next time I'm at my computer. Thanks!

8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Insider releases have different (driver) Windows Update policies compared to non-insider.

9. Joaoo

Joaoo Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6900
    Seems to be indeed an insider issue only. I just got the new possible RTM in Insider Preview and it downgraded by drivers again after installing the latest ones.
    I managed to fix it again by running below reg change and DDU + new drivers after.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]
    "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001

@Wagnard , perhaps an idea to add this key to ensure Insiders don't have this issue?

10. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    The fix I've pointed above (that DDU also does) must be always re-applied after a W10 upgrade, so it's normal that it reverted drivers again if you didn't enforce it by running DDU, direct reg, or applying the corresponding policy on first boot via gpupdate /force.
    Curiously that tweak on your last post has been present in windows since 1703 IIRC via policy (or direct reg as above), but it was never completely functional, because some drivers override it and always appear via WU.