Windows 10 registry tweak for disabling drivers auto update controversy

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Nov 21, 2017.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Registry key is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching".
    Registry value is “SearchOrderConfig”. But searching the inet I see a set of opinions on its values:

SearchOrderConfig 0 = Yes, do this automatically
    SearchOrderConfig 1 = No, let me choose what to do, Always install the best...
    SearchOrderConfig 2 = No, let me choose what to do, Install driver software from windows update ...
    SearchOrderConfig 3 = No, let me choose what to do, Never install driver software from Windows update

SearchOrderConfig 1 = No, let me choose what to do, Always install the best...
    SearchOrderConfig 2 = No, let me choose what to do, Install driver software from windows update ...
    SearchOrderConfig 3 = No, let me choose what to do, Never install driver software from Windows update

there is no actual SearchOrderConfig 0
    the "zero" is trigerred automatically by a combination of registry keys SearchOrderConfig 1 + PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork 0, if you were to manually change SearchOrderConfig to zero, it does nothing if PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork is not enabled.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Device Metadata"
    PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork 0 = enhanced icons enabled
    PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork 1 = enhanced icons disabled

Just set "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000

It can be that these mentioned registry values can have different meaning under different versions of Windows 10.

Share your experience, gurus.

Jackalito and akbaar like this.
  2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Im using O&O SHUTUP10 For that...:D

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    If it works at your side then go to specified registry key and share the value of "SearchOrderConfig", please.

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    1703 Pro before OO Shutup
    SearchOrderConfig 1
    PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork 1

After setting OO shutup to disable drivers through WU.

Didn't change the above settings.
    Maybe changes are through GPeditor
    Edit: nope GPeditor was not changed either, this is bad part of these apps, what or how does it make changes.

Edit2: check a pretty clean VM of 1709 and was this (no OO shutup10 installed).
    SearchOrderConfig 1
    PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork 0

If you go into control panel "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers"
    right click on computer properties>device installations settings and set to no then it becomes.
    PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork 1

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970

Thank you. In newest version of Win10 the screen of that "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers" right click on computer properties>device installations settings looks completely different from previous versions where 4 options were in the dialog instead of 2.
    Also we have check box "download over metered connections" in new "Settings=>Bluetooth and other devices".

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Yeh, on my 1703 pro and VM 1709 there is only 2 options in control panel and it doesn't even mention drivers but manufacture apps and icons.
    But I checked that option edits the second reg key in your post. (PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork ).

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    This is funny in my above post, top comment before OO shutup10.
    "
    SearchOrderConfig 1
    PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork 1"

I just noticed WU did update my driver to 388.13 w/o me noticing.
    This is first time i ever noticed this other than one time when I did a feature update (got new driver).
    So we will see if OO shutup10 does or stops another.
    I can always use GPedit to stop it too.