Windows 10 registry tweak for disabling drivers auto update controversy

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Nov 21, 2017.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Registry key is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching".
    Registry value is “SearchOrderConfig”. But searching the inet I see a set of opinions on its values:

SearchOrderConfig 0 = Yes, do this automatically
    SearchOrderConfig 1 = No, let me choose what to do, Always install the best...
    SearchOrderConfig 2 = No, let me choose what to do, Install driver software from windows update ...
    SearchOrderConfig 3 = No, let me choose what to do, Never install driver software from Windows update

SearchOrderConfig 1 = No, let me choose what to do, Always install the best...
    SearchOrderConfig 2 = No, let me choose what to do, Install driver software from windows update ...
    SearchOrderConfig 3 = No, let me choose what to do, Never install driver software from Windows update

there is no actual SearchOrderConfig 0
    the "zero" is trigerred automatically by a combination of registry keys SearchOrderConfig 1 + PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork 0, if you were to manually change SearchOrderConfig to zero, it does nothing if PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork is not enabled.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Device Metadata"
    PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork 0 = enhanced icons enabled
    PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork 1 = enhanced icons disabled

Just set "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000

It can be that these mentioned registry values can have different meaning under different versions of Windows 10.

Share your experience, gurus.

Jackalito and akbaar like this.
  2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Im using O&O SHUTUP10 For that...:D

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If it works at your side then go to specified registry key and share the value of "SearchOrderConfig", please.

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    1703 Pro before OO Shutup
    SearchOrderConfig 1
    PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork 1

After setting OO shutup to disable drivers through WU.

Didn't change the above settings.
    Maybe changes are through GPeditor
    Edit: nope GPeditor was not changed either, this is bad part of these apps, what or how does it make changes.

Edit2: check a pretty clean VM of 1709 and was this (no OO shutup10 installed).
    SearchOrderConfig 1
    PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork 0

If you go into control panel "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers"
    right click on computer properties>device installations settings and set to no then it becomes.
    PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork 1

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

Thank you. In newest version of Win10 the screen of that "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers" right click on computer properties>device installations settings looks completely different from previous versions where 4 options were in the dialog instead of 2.
    Also we have check box "download over metered connections" in new "Settings=>Bluetooth and other devices".

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yeh, on my 1703 pro and VM 1709 there is only 2 options in control panel and it doesn't even mention drivers but manufacture apps and icons.
    But I checked that option edits the second reg key in your post. (PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork ).

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    This is funny in my above post, top comment before OO shutup10.
    "
    SearchOrderConfig 1
    PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork 1"

I just noticed WU did update my driver to 388.13 w/o me noticing.
    This is first time i ever noticed this other than one time when I did a feature update (got new driver).
    So we will see if OO shutup10 does or stops another.
    I can always use GPedit to stop it too.

8. epguy19

epguy19 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Xpress 200 - 128Mb
    Beginning with the Win10 v1607 anniversary update, also use this registry tweak along with the "SearchOrderConfig" tip:

Open Registry editor (regedit.exe) and go to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001

GPedit.msc has this only in v1607 & above as the option listed as "do not include drivers with windows updates" noted on this Tenforums page.

I'm surprised that nobody else thought of this.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And what value should be used for "SearchOrderConfig"?

10. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    Do any of these fixes stop win 10 update from installing nVidia vid drivers automaticly? I am using ShutUp10 successfully. But when I enable everything now and then to get win updates, the damn thing always installs nVidia drivers I do not want to use. Forcing me to reinstall the drivers I do want before enabling ShutUp10 again.... and SpyBot Beacon. Thx.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    We are in total confusion about it. Nobody knows and sure. You can workaround by not enabling everything and getting only cumulative updates from Windows Update Catalog by monitoring this page
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4018124/windows-10-update-history
    It always gives link to CU in catalog.

12. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Hmm, don't nVidia use their propriety Experience to force drivers update and somewhat bypasses WU anyways?
    If above is not true or Experience isn't installed nor running, In Windows 10 the choices (as far as I know) to stop a specific device from getting drivers updates from WU are with either gpedit setting under "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs" where you'd need to list each device hardware IDs or registry entries (same as with Group Policy, hardware device IDs must be used) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\DenyDeviceIDs.
    The third choice is "fringe" for home users, it involves having a proper Server and set getting WU for workstations from LAN / WAN WSUS server - where one could simply deselect getting also drivers in WSUS configuration.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    sigh after all this time WU started update my drivers silently there was no notifications of drivers updates and no driver updates listing in update history, but app and feature pages show the drivers got update to 1/18/2018 and where 388.31 i know that not the drivers i installed cause last time i installed drivers was back in oct 2017 387.92 and install date for physx was same date as drivers were installed.

Im gona have to start doing this again, i stoped doing this cause WU had stoped download GPU drivers and installing them, but it would seem it started again. above tweaks will stop the installs but it wont stop windows from downloading them, you will also have to undo this to manual install the drivers which can pain in the ass, but it atlest stops windows from doing this.

I seriously can fathom why MS wouldnt allow us to stop it from silently updated GPU. The fact that there is hidden mechanic that completely bypass WU and silently downloads and installs new gpu drivers as see fit is mind boggling

I think this setting only stop WU from show the drivers and that they were installed in history list, I think this options that just make windows silently download and install these. i could be wrong inot sure at this point

Like said i had drivers updates install 1/18/2108 SILENTLY there was NO WU notification there is no GPU driver download or install listed in the history either.

But seeing the last i installed drivers was back in nov of last yearand where the 387.92 drivers, win 10 obviously updated them and silently to on top of that.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  14. Little

Little Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 2.1/15.8
    Check and see what DDU changes when you select to not auto update drivers. It has always worked

15. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    I am using only windows update mini tool utility to stop global windows updates automatically, but getting the issue that when I do check, it skips cumulative updates and many others, and notes that some settings are managed by administrator. It is a unique windows 1709 issue and no solution yet?

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    im gona start doing what i was doing before, that ihad stoped doing cause were no long getting ninja updated.

I have dont the tweaks in this thread and the ones at ten forums. I will now once again start Noting what drivers I installed and when in text file. and start keeping and eye i drivers date and install version in the apps and feature control panel. if the drivers are ninja updated on me again I will go back to do the "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs" again when i dont like cause have to enable after installed drivers then disable to manual install drivers. this is beyond stupid, and why MS has stop this yet is beyond me.

17. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    There could be pretty good reasons why Microsoft feels the need to force update drivers.

Outdated drivers could be vulnerable (you could check security bulletin for such, this isn’t uncommon) or cause Windows instability. From Microsoft point of view this is a major problem as this damages not only user’s experience but also Microsoft reputation (most would put blame on Microsoft anyways). The majority of people, both home users and business users don’t know how to deal with drivers updates. Gamers and Enterprise admins supposedly do. While Enterprises have / should have tools and procedures for drivers’ updates and deployment, gamers don’t.

If I were in position to advise Microsoft on dealing with gamers minority needs, I’d tell them to separate drivers updates from WU, make a UI dealing with just drivers and have a GPO to disable this for businesses. Defaults should be to check on daily basis, similar to Defender but with options to defer (3 months?). If old installed drivers are known to be vulnerable some sort of (annoying) pop-up could be employed to let people know. How it stands now, people even disable WU or use third party who-knows-what-they-are-doing tools just to not be hit with unwanted and often even older drivers delivered and this can’t be good.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I understand WHY they do what i can fathom is why cant let people disable the function, the Force updates cater to people that dont do updates at all, but the people that update the own driver manual and do so. they might not like driver MS is forcing do to bugg and huge performanc drops, and as such want to install there own driver they works for them. and there for DONT want to have fight with WU say no no these need to be installed.

19. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Majority rule

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that is correct but MS know damn well there people that update drivers manual and do so for reason. so there is no EXCUSE for them to ALLOW people to disable driver updates and installs done threw WU.

I lost count how many time I read on here from people that keep up with drivers and update manualy, coming here and complain cause MS WU force driver update in middle of them game or said UPDATE fubar game performance or had majority bugs. just for them to uninstall those and put back the original drivers just to have it happpen.

It not asking alot for them to give us a means to disable that update function permanently.

I full heartly believe in force Windows UPDATES, other wise most people will have unpatch un updated systems. But Forcing Driver updates without a reliably means to disable the function for the people that actual keep up with drivers and installs of them manual for reason. is just stupid very aggravating to them to have to keep uninstall the ones from WU to install ones they where use back on just for WU to do it again. And for WU to start doing silently and showing no record of it in WU history is even more infuriating

Thank god this is only happen GPU windows has never seen drivers for my onboard sound card, nor has it ever installed them. which great for me cause I used modified drivers to unlock DTS and DD live, I would have melt down if windows started do that to play with those drivers, to the point I would find registry that deals with those updates and i would out right break it which is why did in first RTM win 10 to stop those drivers and it did work, you just couldnt undo it. realtek audio drivers are crap and my old system had 5 years worth driver i manual changed which spaned like 10+ driver verison before I found set that didnt have that issue which was first time in 5+ years my system stop have hardlocks in conjunction to HW/Acceleration being used in any thing with a Audio chat programs up running.

Ironicly "wushowhide" from MS show driver updates are hidden for MEI and few other system drivers, But those are have never been forced, cause those driver are same driver and same install dates from day i put the system together

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018