Windows 10 random shutdown

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by VictorMmMmM, Dec 4, 2019 at 1:26 AM.

1. VictorMmMmM

VictorMmMmM New Member

GPU:
    2080super
    Hi guys,
    About a week ago my pc started to randomly shutdown while gaming. The problem is very weird : sometimes i can game for 3 hours and nothing happens , sometimes just after 5 minutes of just playing CS go .
    The pc is acting like something is giving the shutdown command.
    CPU and GPU temps are perfect , Windows is up to date, drivers also , Bitdifender not detecting anything, Malwarebytes also has no alerts.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Have you verified another OS?

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    How old is the seasonic focus plus 850W power supply?

386SX and big ROBOT bill like this.
  4. VictorMmMmM

VictorMmMmM New Member

GPU:
    2080super
    I did not try with a fresh install of win10. PSU is almost new , about 6 months old. I dont think its the PSU because i ran prime95 and kombustor at the same time and pc ran just fine . One time i had youtube and office in the background while playing cs go and it started to shutdown , but i managed to hit cancel.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    If it is actually initiating the shutdown command as if you clicked "Shutdown" I'd scan for malware

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    a faulty power switch or keyboard can cause this too.

HK-1 and 386SX like this.
  7. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Does Event Viewer show anything suspicious? Hardware failures short before the shutdown probably? App hangs / crashes?

And somewhere back in my mind I recall something was fishy with the Focus series. Some incompatibility or something. But I am on mobile right now, googling is pain. :D

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    FOCUS PLUS and GPU potential compatibility issues
    We have been notified, in limited instances, where some issues may occur when a FOCUS power supply is used in conjunction with certain high power consumption GPU or brand of VGA cards. If you experience possible compatibility issues, please check the below information and contact us for further assistance:

FOCUS PLUS & ASUS GTX970 STRIX: In very limited instances black screen may occur under heavy VGA usage. Current testing showed that certain VGA cards may emit higher than normal ripple when under heavy load and using a modified PCIe cables with enhanced shielding resolved the issue.

FOCUS PLUS & Vega 56/64: For units with serial numbers before January 2018, in rare instances, possible system shutdown may occur when GPU is under heavy load. This is possibly caused by higher than normal peak current emitted by this particular range of GPU's when under heavy load triggering the PSU’s internal protection safety.

386SX likes this.
  9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Would that power supply have the manufacture date printed on it somewhere? or on the box it was packaged in if you still have it?

I'm wondering how long it sat before you purchased it.

@VictorMmMmM If you are able too, test your system with a different brand power supply, if you find the issue is no longer present then you know where the problem lies.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 12:17 PM
  10. VictorMmMmM

VictorMmMmM New Member

GPU:
    2080super
    Everthing works perfect , nothing hangs or crashes . PSU is manufactured in 2018 . I dont think the PSU is the problem because it doesn't just turn off like you unplung from the wall , it starts the shutdown procedure. I dont know what to look for in event viewer. I was looking for 1074 events but nothing shows. Last night it started to shut down while playing cs go i managed to press cancel . Event view looks like this : The attempt by user DESK-RPMOP to restart/shutdown computer DESK-RPMOP failed.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 1:42 PM

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    If you do not see 1074 event in System log, then shutdown is not caused by any application.
    [​IMG]

Mda400 likes this.
  12. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    POWER SUPPLY the culprit!!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------------

13. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1660Ti
    My son had a similar problem, just replaced his PSU and everything is running well. 600w isn't really enough for a machine these days anyway I'd say

14. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RX 5700 XT OC
    Now this is interesting. If it was the PSU, it would hard shutdown, no? Well I can always be surprised. According to the author, Windows is randomly initiating the shutdown procedure like you would normally shutdown Windows.

Are you sure there is nothing pressing the Case power button? Try to set the button action to 'Do nothing' from the Power options since it is set to shutdown by default. Does it only happen during gaming? What about at idle?

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    What if it's just some haywire Windows update trying to force a scheduled reboot?

Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder under Windows (in Safe Mode). Fear not, Windows will recreate it.

Alternatively disable Windows Update service and see if it helps.

16. VictorMmMmM

VictorMmMmM New Member

GPU:
    2080super
    Only doing this during gaming. Today pc ran for at least 10 hours normal desktop usage and nothing happend. I started CS go - 20 minutes later it was initiating the shutdown . I went to event viewer - there was an error right at the moment of shutdown - Event ID 10010 - something about Microsoft OneConnect. Then i ran prime 95 small FFT + kombustor stress test for at least 1 hour and not a single error.
    Nothing is pressing the power button . Its really starting to freak me out.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Even more so then I'd say delete SoftwareRedistribution folder and/or disable WU (or both) and also check for and uninstall any unwanted programs / apps.

Btw the restart attempts wouldn't be happening at about the same time of day would they?

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Disconnect the power button after powering up and attempt to reproduce the situation.

386SX likes this.
  19. VictorMmMmM

VictorMmMmM New Member

GPU:
    2080super
    Its very random. I will disable updates and clear SR folder and see what happens. Could this be related to the new windows update 1090 ? Sometimes after PC goes to sleep, it powers on by itself for 30 seconds up to a minute , the it goes back to sleep - the monitor stays dark. Its been doing this for months.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    have you got a logitech wireless mouse? i've found when the mouse goes to sleep it wakes stuff up