Windows 10 Queueing Frames in game (false fullscreen mode?)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Andre Souza, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Andre Souza

Andre Souza Guest

GPU:
    I tested GPUView to check Nvidia limiter and I noticed it's queueing frames like it was running on Windowed Mode. Then I reverted the driver to the 436 series and noticed that this still happens. Using CSGO without any bottleneck from CPU or GPU, no vsync and framelimited to a a very stable fps I have tried without any overlay, without fullscreen optimization, with all low latency modes, with -d3d9ex and -nod3d9ex, game-mode on/off, etc. I do notice the alt-tab really fast between resolutions meaning something is going on. My OSD reports native resolution even with video scaling. No clue. Have tried a few months ago and had no queue at all while playing and DWM totally bypassed. Will I need to rollback to other windows 10 version or there is a fix?

[​IMG]

2. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Full specs>?
    If you have FAST BOOT give a try disabling it and check again

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Some gurus stated that 2 or 3 fresh releases of Win10 have that.

4. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Could Fast boot enabled give performance issues in games if you know ?

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    last i heard window 10 now pretty much turns all games into windowed ( with out borders) I honestly been using windowed ( with out borders) for so long that I dont notice a diffrence but there are those that do notice a difference, you can try disabling fullscreen optimization

All my game act like alt tabing is really in windowed mode cause it super fast, if fullscreen exclusive was actual working as it should alt tab out would be delay alot more. I could be wrong bout all this though.

fastboot has should nothing to do with this, it only effect shutdown and startup times

I also pretty sure it can be disable but there bug going around that make it so some people cant disable it, I suspect it has something to with clean installs vs upgrades, cause that is general what causes such issue ( thing that were work and then weren't working after upgrade that clean installs fix) in my experience, I could be wrong about that too

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  6. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+

That's not a bug though,the option won't show up if you have Hibernate disabled. Using the below command will make Fast boot show up under the power options.

powercfg.exe /hibernate on

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I not talking about fast boot as that has nothing do with his issue as it bout fullscreen elusive dont work anymore,

the option fastboot dont show when hibernation is disable cause both sleep and hibernation are what use fastboot, without them enabled there is no option cause it disabled.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Kolt and mbk1969 like this.
  9. Andre Souza

Andre Souza Guest

GPU:
    I tried all the tips that you guys posted and nothing worked. All games I've tried are running in a false full screen.
    CS, Overwatch, Resident Evil 7, Pubg e RE2.

In some games, I have alt-tabbed to windows and they still running in a Window while the menu keeps saying "Fullscreen".

My system:
    Windows 10 PRO - Winver1909 (18363.592)
    GTX 1080 - 436.48 and 441.87
    i7 - 9700K
    Fullscreen optimization on and off
    In-game fullscreen. No vsync. Gsync disabled. NULL off/on/ultra. The reg keys from Astyanax. Fastboot.

My system is pretty much on default. I only change the overclock and C-States on BIOS and in Windows I disable mouse acceleration and put all the power management settings to off or performance. I don't change any setting regarding HPET and timers, no reg key and I don't alter any service initialization.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/th...creen-optimizations-apex-legends-csgo.263807/

• 1. open Regedit and go to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore\Children\
    • 2. use the search function (CTRL+F ) and search for the games executable (Example for Apex legends it would be "r5apex.exe") which you can find from the games installation directory.
    • 3. then delete the subkey / aka "The highlighted folder on the left panel" for that game and done!
    • 4. now the game DVR/Bar can't find the games location and will no longer force "Fullscreen Optimizations"
    • 5. go to an app/game location, right-click PropertiesCompatibility, mark Disable fullscreen optimizations

PS: If the game has been updated to use Flip Modes then it doesn't matter what you set here, the game will present as if fullscreen optimizations is in place.

11. Andre Souza

Andre Souza Guest

GPU:
    Still the same. Fast switching from alt+tab, GPUView reporting flip queue and dwm more active while in the game context.
    [​IMG]

By "Flip Modes" you mean the DXGI flip? From what I know the ability to control the flip queue is exclusive from DX12 and CSGO do not use this api level.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Flip mode has nothin to do with DX12, its a feature of DXGI and available from Windows 8+ (with some lesser capability under 7sp1 for d3d9ex)

CSGO uses D3d9ex features.

Smough likes this.
  13. Andre Souza

Andre Souza Guest

GPU:
    You are right. This seems to be an issue with the build 1909.

14. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Is this needed if you have set GameDVR_HonorUserFSEBehaviorMode etc. and disabled FSO for the Game .exe?

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    good question some one should test and let us know

16. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Just disabling FSO on the .exe on the games that have issues with them on gets rid of the composite fake full screen mode. I can actually tell it's disabled because the framerate and the frametime behave as if they were in true Fullscreen and not Borderless Fullscreen.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  17. n3v3rm1nd

n3v3rm1nd Active Member

GPU:
    Aus Strix RTX 2070
    The new presentation mode has nothing to do with borderless at all nor does it force borderless. This comment is full of nonsense.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its very different in practice, one uses dwm/compositor for vsync, the other has the application assume control of vsync and compositor goes to sleep.

19. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Read again:
    What's the point of this topic though? @Andre Souza - Do you think this new "fake fullscreen" has higher latency or lower performance than "legacy" fullscreen exclusive mode? In theory, it should be equal or better in every aspects.

20. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    It does. Full screen optimizations mix Fullscreen with Borderless. It should make games more stable, but it gives problem at certain games (I suppose it depends on the engine of the game). It actually stabilizes the frametime to 16.6 ms without fluctuation or whichever it's your framerate if you use v-sync without RivaTuner or the new nVidia FPS limiter. You can go and educate yourself, actually using Google or you can keep trolling. The only one full of nonsense in here is you, imagine creating an account at this forum and then come to troll. Please go to a Discord server with other kids so you can post all of the nonsense you want.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7qyb9o/need_clarification_on_fullscreen_optimization/

You may also want to tell MS how wrong they are, since it's "nonsense": https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020