Windows 10 pending its first big update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Well I called Microsoft tech support today.. What a complete waste of my time. I was on the phone with this guy for over an hour and I even gave him remote access to my computer, but nothing was gained.. :mad:

I guess I already knew that was going to happen though, deep down at least anyway.

The good news though is that I did as you suggested and downloaded the ISO and mounted it, then ran the update from there. So now I have build 10586 on my PC :banana:

And I don't know what kind of secret sauce Microsoft put into this build of Windows 10, but I've noticed a DEFINITE improvement in performance. Not just in Windows performance or Microsoft Edge, but game performance as well.

Games are definitely smoother and I'm 100% certain it's not a placebo effect.. If anyone hasn't done the upgrade to Windows 10 yet, they are definitely doing themselves a disservice. Because now is the time! :thumbup:

3. Arend.C

Arend.C Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    Still no update over here.

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    If you want it now, just do what I did and download the ISO using Microsoft's media creation tool.. Then run the update after mounting.

I highly recommend this update, as it gives a significant performance increase in both games and Windows, and adds some extra functionality.

5. GreenAlien

GreenAlien Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC
    I read somewhere yesterday that they pulled it from windows update because some people were experiencing problems (maybe it was just speculation). I do not get it via WU either, but i would rather wait if it means the possibility of problems is reduced.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the update looks nice, other then the fact it some how is randomly cause my boot/reboot time to become 50+ seconds, it randomly boot/reboot with the normal 30secs now

7. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I still see nothing in WU. I downloaded the Media Creation tool and told it to upgrade. The Media Tool failed 6 times. Even after disconnecting all drives but the main one, disconnecting the printer, turning on Cortana and location services, and getting the mic working with Cortana. Every time it did the same thing. It got all the way to the part where it says "Your PC will now reboot in a few seconds", and then goes back to the desktop with a small window saying "Something happened, Windows 10 installation has failed". I'm not even sure if an ISO burned to DVD would work.

I downloaded the 64 bit ISO using the creation tool, burned it to a disk and tried to update. The exact same thing happened. It failed at the same point. One interesting thing was that the ISO was 3.25GB but the ESD I got from trying to upgrade with the tool was only 3.07GB. It still didn't work though.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Sometimes a burn can fail without notification. The best thing is to download the ISO and just mount it and then run setup from that..

That's what I did and it worked..

9. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

lol yea, MS support are renowned for being very friendly, but completely useless

Nice one, yea I'm hearing good things about this update, supposedly they have improved memory management too?

I'm sticking with LTSB though, can't stand that XAML / Apps / Store / Cortana / Edge etc

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If they have, I haven't noticed improvements.

11. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just found this from an older build of TH2 pre release:

Memory Manager Improvements:
    In Windows 10, we have added a new concept in the Memory Manager called a compression store, which is an in-memory collection of compressed pages. This means that when Memory Manager feels memory pressure, it will compress unused pages instead of writing them to disk. This reduces the amount of memory used per process, allowing Windows 10 to maintain more applications in physical memory at a time. This also helps provide better responsiveness across Windows 10. The compression store lives in the System process’s working set. Since the system process holds the store in memory, its working set grows larger exactly when memory is being made available for other processes. This is visible in Task Manager and the reason the System process appears to be consuming more memory than previous releases.

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10525/

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'll keep an eye on the "System and compressed memory" process.

13. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I have a feeling it will be one of those 'tweaks' that you can only notice, if you have two identical machines side by side, and you open the same thing, at the same time, and play back the recording of their opening speeds, in slow-motion lol

14. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    I already posted what I saw on my machine. it went from 1.2gb ram used on a clean boot up, to using up 820 mb.

I also noticed much improved ram usage while playing witcher 3. before the update, my system would use up to 5.6gb ram after a 1-2 hour witcher 3 session.

now the max i've seen is 4.8.

15. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea? Sounds promising then

Was that comparison between clean fresh installs of both OSs ?

16. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Do you have pagefile enabled?
    Maybe your system shows a difference because you use pagefile. I tested game commit usage before and after the update and they were using exactly the same amount.

17. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    yes, on my main SSD. i've checked it now, and checked it right after the update, set to system managed it seems to be at 512mb at all times.

18. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Regarding the new memory management algorithm, I think having the pagefile enabled or disabled plus the total amount of physical memory in your system is going to affect your outcome..

I've always had pagefile disabled on my gaming PCs for as long as I've been a PC gamer, and since this latest Windows 10 update, I've actually noticed an increase in RAM usage in games.

With Witcher 3 running, I'm seeing well over 6GB of RAM usage in Novigrad whereas before, it was barely over 5GB.. This RAM also includes the system memory allocated to mirror the VRAM by the way..

Regardless though, games definitely feel smoother to me. I went to a few spots in the Witcher 3 which before would cause a performance decrease during the evening hours, but now they don't..

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It kind of seems like an advanced version of superfetch and prefetch.

20. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I guess I'm just stuck with 10240 unless and until I see the update and it works. I'm not optimistic it will. My only other option would be to wipe everything and do a clean install with the 1511 ISO burned to a disk. I do have a system image I could recover my files from but almost all of my programs and games would have to be reinstalled and since I have over 350gb of stuff on here, that would take ages.

Today I burned the full 1511-10586 ISO to a disk, went into msconfig and disabled all services but MS ones, uninstalled Panda and Classic Shell, turned off all startup entries, rebooted and then ran setup from the disk. It turned out the exact same way. It did not install. So, the tool does not work, and a full ISO doesn't either. Every way I try, everything seems to go well until it says "Your computer will reboot in a few moments". That stays up for a bit, then it goes back to the desktop with a small window that says in the header, "Something happened". In the window itself it just says "Windows 10 installation has failed". There is no error message nor code. I have tried about 8 times now. I have unplugged drives, unplugged all USB except the mouse and keyboard, nothing works.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015