Windows 10 overtakes Windows 7

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 3, 2019.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Can Cortana be removed fully in that build?

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Cortana's even in the LTSB build :p You can use group policy to disable it just like the rest. In 19h1, cortana has been separated from search so it shouldn't be a problem. Try it out in a vm.

KissSh0t likes this.
  3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    [​IMG]

4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    the real question i have from all this is how microsoft is going to handle ceasing security updates for windows 7 in 2020, clearly the install base of win7 is too large for them to responsibly cease support by then.

its not like xp which only had 12% market share when it lost support in 2016.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    They could always just hijack everyone's PC and forcibly install Windows 10 for everyone that has Automatic Updates enabled.......................................... again.

Clawedge and user1 like this.
  6. CoMmAnDrX2

CoMmAnDrX2 Active Member

GPU:
    MSIGTX680 Lightning
    More Windows 10 installs equals more business for us Tech Guy/Gals ;)

carnivore, KissSh0t and Clawedge like this.
  7. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    "Hello, my PC turns blue and shows me this sad face after update again".

carnivore, CoMmAnDrX2 and KissSh0t like this.
  8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    To be fair, smartphone updates aren't that frequent, it's just that the phone was off for a long time. In general, I don't mind these updates as long as they aren't intrusive, whether smartphone or PC. I keep my fleet of computers on 24/7 but restart them once a month to apply any updates.

The only parts of Windows 10 that I don't like are the simplified menus and lackluster notifications. This simplification started with Windows 8 though as Microsoft tried to accommodate tablets. The Microsoft Store apps are also something that was started with 8, although Cortana started with 10 (I don't really use it though, and the same goes for my smartphone). The part I like most about it is that it is essentially free to use, and I no longer need to worry about keys or licenses like in the old days.

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    No no no Linux should be your main OS :)

I am a big fan of W10 and it still impress me despite my main OS is still a linux distro.
    Exept on old system it is more simple, more modern, more faster and more stable than previous post XP windows... and it even have some nice linux facilities in it.

And yes it is active users, on steam it have pass W7's active user basis.
    Also new computer doesn't support W7 and W8.1 as is, you need to tweak a bit and it run as crap when you use it.

10. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Power color vega 64
    Not true, prior versions of windows used the customer experience improvement program that was "opt-in", there was also telemetry for windows updates so that you receive the correct security and other updates, but this was very easy to shut off completely.
    Microsoft also started with the infamous "telemetry updates" for windows 7 where they were sneaking in various spying mechanisms with the updates, these are also easily avoided.

11. Killian38

Killian38 Master Guru

GPU:
    I love windows 10. Build a new system, download windows 10 to a usb drive, install it on the new build. All free. Never paid a dime for Windows 10 and it never crashes. Good stuff.

ManofGod likes this.
  12. vestibule

vestibule Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    I really hate W10. To me its reverse engineered for the end user.
    Its not just foreign. its fricken Alien.

Order_66 likes this.
  13. There are several iso's of windows 10 pro you can get that have all the crud removed already, if you don't want to make your own. I am running ltsb (which is nice, because its still 1607) and this is also what i have for my biggest client for similar reasons (vital company software and dms that does not play nice with 1803 or newer). There are things i like about windows 10, and things i don't.......but i feel this way pretty much every time a new version comes out (remember the hell of making your 16-bit apps work right on windows 2000? Yikes that was a nightmare!!!). I could say the same for Linux. I remember hating netware and all things Novell, and then, Novell bought Suse ( my fave distro) and put all the netware bs in it.....NOOOOOOOOOO!!! All in all, windows 10 is alright (besides the annoying tendency to drop printers and scanners like hot potatoes). It does run nicely on modern hardware.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019
  14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Same can be said of Windows 10, the only difference is W10 actually tells you that it's collecting data, and I assume it is collecting more than previous versions.

15. HyperXtreme

HyperXtreme Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 ti
    Still be using wins7 don't like the whole idea on close OS

16. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Modifying the image is like LTSB but with loads more flexibility.

You also get the added benefit of a very small wim file, usually small enough that you don't need to convert it to esd for fit it on a FAT32 flash drive.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    In problems?