Windows 10 October Update - 1809 is live !

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by chispy, Oct 3, 2018.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm downloading it right now :p 1809 is still quite buggy and I would advice anyone to wait a month or two for CU's.

2. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    edit: i also getting same issue
    after looking on the net, the only way to fix this is by resetting network
    windows setting -> network&internet -> reset network on the bottom

some people saying, all we need is to enable ipv6 in network-adapter

i check mine,didnt have that
    [​IMG]
    is this region related things ?
    also compared to mine... i still have "Cortana" instead "Search"

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  3. Pictus

Pictus Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
  4. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    All working fine so far. I dont know whats all the fuss about. You guys are sissies :D

RavenMaster likes this.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Well the update finally started picking up and completed. So far the only thing I've noticed is that the Windows update options are no longer trying to force broken/wrong updates onto me despite the fact I explicitly disabled non-Microsoft updates. Now I can actually click the update button without having to brick my sound card and install Razer drivers first for the zero Razer devices I'm using. Honestly I should have called Microsoft and left several complaints long ago.

It's also nice to finally have a built-in dark theme. Too bad it doesn't play nice when Ribbon is disabled and leaves a white bar.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    The dark theme is broken in a ton of places. There are also lots of UI glitches everywhere due to them ripping out sets midway through the insider preview releases, mostly with 'modern' apps but still. Jensmsft posts on the windows10 sub all the time and people were begging her to get the released delayed because of how inconsistent and glitchy it is and yet here we are.

And I get it - most of us can just ignore that stuff or whatever but when Android/IOS are shipping updates where the design is mostly consistent and uniform (at least 5x better than Windows) releases like this just look so unprofessional and unpolished. The control panel for example isn't dark themed and most people keep saying "well it's depreciated" and yet I'm constantly having to go there because the settings aren't exposed in the modern settings app. Just makes the entire experience double as bad.

They need to dedicate an entire release on making the UI more consistent, modernizing the more complex settings, fixing all the weird visual glitches, etc

airbud7, lucidus and carnivore like this.
  7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    It's Microsoft, I always expect nothing from them and somehow get left disappointed anyway. I never expect any form consistency from their products, and I sure as hell didn't expect their dark theme to work properly. Microsoft will never be as professional as other companies until they're forced to be by some form of competition, and I just don't see that happening anytime soon. The closest thing to competition is Apple and they're a joke as far as I'm concerned.

Just the fact that Microsoft's support service on the phone wasn't horrible the one and only time I ever called them left me impressed. If you're wondering why I would ever end up having to call Microsoft... my Windows key wasn't working because they suck.

8. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    I have disabled Cortana, probably that's why it's replaced by Search in my screenshot.

9. tunejunky

tunejunky Maha Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    i've been running this update for the last four days.
    it was seamless, runs great, and the android integration gives a taste of the iPhone ecosystem for Android and Windows.
    i love it, it's the best update yet for Win10 imho

10. tunejunky

tunejunky Maha Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    i do love it...but my oldest cpu is a Kaby Lake (7th gen Intel)
    my desktop and workstation (AMD) are Ryzen+ (incl. Threadripper).
    i can't vouch for "seamlessness" on older cpus

11. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I updated thru the update assistant without any issues, and every thing working perfectly fine on my end, didn't have to reinstall driver's or any thing, was also quick too.

Looking around I notice there was an new spatial sound setting called DTS unbound, which goes to an blank windows store page when I went to see what it was.

12. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Cortana only available in few countries. Worldwide it's just empty ugly gray search box.

At least they added large icon. Previously it was only a giant label.
    https://i.imgur.com/oBT13jL.png

Still, I don't have feedback in Settings. But doesn't matter. They have cut off non-English countries from Feedback app to effectively ignore them. That's probably why no Feedback in non-English locales.

13. tunejunky

tunejunky Maha Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    it's Pay for Play feature with a "free" time period

14. Dyseman

Dyseman Member

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Installed Fresh last night. WMR Flashlight works great. Dark Mode engaged!

15. smashmambo

smashmambo Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    I just finished a clean install using the MS Media Creation Tool via USB stick. Drivers all good and no problems at all with anything on my rig. Gaming performance looks about the same as before update (Nvidia 411.70).

16. FerCam™

FerCam™ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    Nice already had it installed since September 23, no problems aside failing ram.

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Security updates are delivered fine. Only feature updates are deferred.

Note: feature updates, not future updates. Feature updates are the Windows version number updates. Normal updates are not affected. You can't defer normal updates for more than a couple days anyway. Only feature updates can be deferred up to a year.

I'm getting security updates, reliability updates and those "rollups" just fine. MS makes those for all Windows 10 versions, not just the latest. I think right now 1607 is the oldest fully supported one.

18. DeusEXMachina

DeusEXMachina Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RX 480 OC 8G
    Installed last night, so far good update, process was quick and no problem. test few games and no problems.

19. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Sadly it looks like the standby memory bug wasn't fixed. Ah well. back to running the emptystandbylist every 10 minutes.

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    You need the "defer feature updates" setting. This will only disable the version number updates (like 1809). You'll get all other updates just fine.

(I don't know if this setting is only available in the Pro and higher versions of W10 though. I'm using Pro from MSDN.)