Windows 10 October Update - 1809 is live !

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by chispy, Oct 3, 2018.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Tech giant Microsoft has just released the newest update for windows 10 namely " October Update " - 1809 built.

You can update by manually installing and upgrading your OS thru windows update or you can make an ISO file and make a fresh copy of this new built on your usb thumb thru the official microsoft website using the windows media creation tool: Windows 10 1809 x64 and 32bit ( Home / Pro Editions )

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/windows-10-october-2018-update-is-now-available.html

Create Windows 10 Installation Media - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...)&irclickid=1830ec9bN105baa6f002cdf9b0a2ed2e2

New features : https://thewincentral.com/windows-1...es-new-features-so-far-categorized-changelog/

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    If you actually install this at this stage, you deserve what happens.

-Tj-, lucidus, carnivore and 6 others like this.
  3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    You Got that right. I had issues installing 1803 on my desktop but I finally got it on. I do not want to go through with that again for a while at least.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    For people who don't have Win10 registry fixed not to auto install updates, Windows will do the honor of installing this bomb.

Does it even warn before installing it?

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Is there a list of removed features anywhere....

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It does. However, it will download it without telling you, and eat up a couple GB on disk.

On the version of Windows I'm using, there's an option to "defer feature updates" in the advanced settings in the check for updates screen. This will prevent even the download. You can defer these updates up to 365 days. I did that a while ago and I'm still on 1709. It didn't download nor ask to install 1803. I guess it will ask me next year, which is fine by me.

Other updates go through just fine, so no security issues or anything. Just these semiannual updates are held back.

airbud7 and max2 like this.
  8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I just took the plunge and installed the 1809 update and to my surprise it is quite good update , only a couple of problems i found with it: If you update thru windows update you will need to update all your installed apps from the windows store and my color settings and calibrations were back to stock config , updated my apps thru the windows store and dialed back my custom color calibration thru nvidia settings and voila Done !

I like the new features , the phone app will be very useful for everyone. So far no more problems and i'm liking it :D

9. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Damn, was updating my main rig to 1809 and it got to and was stuck at 43%, had to restart my rig and Windows undid the changes. Oh well, I'm happy with 1803.

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Yeah it seems the servers are getting hammer , i have been stuck on 63% on my spare rig for about half and hour doing the update thru windows update , i think it's better to download the ISO to a usb stick.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    ManofGod likes this.

11. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Installed because of dark theme for explorer. "Amazing" now that we get two options when it used to be that this was something that was fully possible to decide on your own in many earlier windows versions.
    Phones, tablets and of course the influence of crapple.

chispy likes this.
  12. Abd0

Abd0 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060 6GB
    now the DXR is released to the public, will it support Raytracing on non supported hardware, like a software emulation?
    or it will only work on supported hardware like the Nvidia RTX GPUs
    there was something called Fallback Layer that MS created for the Raytracing game development on non-supported hardware using DX12 emulation, I don't know if this layer was released as part of DXR public release or it will stay as a separate download for the game developers only.
    https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectX-Graphics-Samples/tree/master/Libraries/D3D12RaytracingFallback

13. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    ITT: A bunch of noobs.

14. sayem57

sayem57 Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX2080Ti amp
    The updating process was super fast and smooth with no errors.

15. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    So you didn't install any security updates since then?

This major update postponing will create nothing but an issue a year later. Why the hell this options even exists, install update or not. So you got update hanging on your OS, eating space and god know when will it decide to upgrade.

OS designed for mobiles I guess.
    It's like driving a half fixed car and deciding to finally fix it a year later. Disaster.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018

16. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Update went smoothly with my rig :)
    Weirdly it's not appearing on my notebook yet.

17. Bogeyx

Bogeyx Active Member

GPU:
    2070 RTX @ 2050Mhz
    Went smooth here too.
    Weirdly only appeared on my notebook and not on my rig ;)

18. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I blocked the update with wushowhide, but when I restarted my computer, it came back and reinitialized the update.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You mean Microsoft?

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I set my Internet connection as metered and no Windows updates. But may be this one will break through, just being postponed for my location?